Notices

Meditation & Recovery

Old 02-10-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Meditation & Recovery

A visitor to New York asked a passerby "Excuse me sir, could you please tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?" His answer "Why yes... practice, practice, practice."

Meditation is like that?

Posted by member Punch:
"As a person generally (and I think this transcends any issues relating to alcoholism), my mind is constantly rushing with thoughts. Good ones, bad ones, empowering ones, scary ones, everything, but it never stops. I feel like I dream a hundred dreams a night. My mind won't stop."

I have felt for over 30 years meditation would help. With disappointing results, I think, because of a toxic body, and little practice. At this point in my practce, I seem to have as many thoughts, but they are more random and disjointed; try to let them go as "just a thought".

Believe yoga is synergistc with meditation, but my old body needs more practice, practice, practice. Should have started years ago.

I have through intense activity "stopped" my mind, what the Japanese call "Nin", though not lately. The state of being "here now" is very compelling, and I would like to be able to do it in inactivity.

Any encouragement, pointers, advice, words of wisdom, comments, much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

P.S. I won't ask how long will it take!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm still meditating on it!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is not exactly whatyou are asking about...
but
prayer helps me keep in emotional balance..
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
i'm still meditating on it!

lmao!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ect-brain.html
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I meditate often. It is definitely a case of consistent practice but certain things help in the endevour. For example, I picked up a binaural beats meditation program at this site which really helps focus my mind on, well, nothingness lol! Look for the purple picture on the left, that's what I'm talking about. I actually found it early in sobriety looking for help with insomnia. Don't ask me how the stuff works I haven't the foggiest idea, but somehow it does.

I highly recommend it.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Meditation definitely helps me get through the day. Thanks for starting the thread.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

STE-

I too an curious about the powers of meditation, especially b/c my thoughts seems to race at times.

What I'm doing right now is trying to ease my way into it.

10 deep breaths, only concentrating on my breathing. Trying only to be concsience of my lungths drawing the air through my nose, down my throat, then pushing it back up again.

I do this in the morning, throughout the day, and when I get home in the evening.

It sounds so simple, but it's working. ...and I'm getting better at it and soon I'll try something a bit more challenging.

Give it a try if you'd like.

Kjell
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
where the light is

I read that praying is about looking for an answer and that meditating is about hearing the answer.

I believe that within us we have the answers - inner wisdom based on our life experiences and teachings. Call it what you want - gut feeling, the God within - it's there.

Guided meditation is helpful but I find clearing my mind (not always easy) and waiting for an answer to what is disturbing me works. I don't always like the answer but it's usually the right thing to do (or not to do). It's kinda like trying to remember the name of a movie or something and it comes to you if you don't think about it for a while.

I did initially get frustrated trying to follow formal meditation processes - just didn't work for me. I like simple!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

one of my best friends told me when I was having it really bad, I mean the thoughts mixed with feelings were flowing like a river, he said, try to just let them go in one ear and let them flow out the other.

easy to say, hard to do. it's a process.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I read that praying is about looking for an answer and that meditating is about hearing the answer.

I believe that within us we have the answers - inner wisdom based on our life experiences and teachings. Call it what you want - gut feeling, the God within - it's there.

Guided meditation is helpful but I find clearing my mind (not always easy) and waiting for an answer to what is disturbing me works. I don't always like the answer but it's usually the right thing to do (or not to do). It's kinda like trying to remember the name of a movie or something and it comes to you if you don't think about it for a while.

I did initially get frustrated trying to follow formal meditation processes - just didn't work for me. I like simple!
Thank you Gravity, I differ with one of your opinions in a semantic way, nothing consequential, and agree with you wholeheartedly on the rest.

I believe we are born with that "inner wisdom" our conscience; our subsequent experiences and teachings corrupt that, but yes, we have/had it within. God be with us.

Guided meditation processes, like audio thats offered, just puts me to sleep.

I understand there is a difference between meditation and relaxation, and its a stumbling point for me.
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
where the light is

According to some scientists we have around 60,000 thoughts per day, and 95%-98% of those thoughts are the same ones day in and day out, or rather the same types of thoughts. Let’s do some math here:

95% of 60,000 = 57,000

57,000 thoughts that were the same as, or the same type as yesterday. We can guestimate that we can take about 10,000 of those thoughts to think about getting up in the morning, planning our day ahead, driving to school/work, practical thinking about issues at work/home etc etc – these are practical thoughts that we have to think about day in and day out.

So we are left with around 47,000 thoughts. That’s 47,000 spare thoughts, thoughts that are up for grabs and to be turned into something useful. What do you think these thoughts are about?

Here’s are some classifications of the 47,000 thoughts we have:

Worry, boredom, daydreaming, future planning, catastrophising, fighting in our minds, negative self talk, positive self talk, what others think of us, and so on.

How many of the 47,000 spare thoughts that we have each day do we think positively about the future, or plan positively for the future, or ask the right questions to get a better future. I am willing to guess not very many at all.
Pulled this info. from a random website but it gets what I'm thinking across. I have come to look at most thoughts as NOT being reality. Most are ego and fear driven.Thoughts and therefore feelings & action CAN be changed. We don't have to keep repeating those same 90% doom & gloom thoughts over and over every day. Meditiation or just quieting the mind helps you see this.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Thanks Kjell, breathing helps me relax, (even sounds funny) with patience we will find peace.

Gravity, that's why I'm seeking to live HERE,NOW. Quieting my mind will have to suffice for now!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi all. I've been practicing zen meditation here in Rochester formally with a community about 6 years now, including both daily practice alone and with a group, peppered with retreats that last up to 7 days with 10+ hours of still sitting per day. It has absolutely been the foundation of my recovery and my life. I've never been into the whole god thing, and without the experiences I've had in meditation I think I wouldve had a harder time working the steps. There is definitely a difference between meditation and relaxation, at least in my tradition. Here is a link with detailed instructions on how to sit in zen meditation for those who are so inclined: http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

If anyone wants to talk zen or whatever please pm me...
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by ste View Post
Thanks Kjell, breathing helps me relax, (even sounds funny) with patience we will find peace.

Gravity, that's why I'm seeking to live HERE,NOW. Quieting my mind will have to suffice for now!
I know! That's a major challenge I have too but I have made some progress. Just pointing out that most of my thoughts were BS anyway (like kicking myself for past actions I can't change, fear of an uncertain future) so I don't take them as seriously anymore. That in itself helps quiet my mind.

"When I look back on all these worries I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which never happened.
—Winston Churchill"
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
oak

My mind also wanders during meditation. But when I notice my mind wandering, I try to just return my focus to breathing (or whatever I am focusing on). I focus on different things- breathing, body sensation (hands, feet, or legs/back against the chair), or a saying. Counting breaths can help to- count to ten and start over, or count to 4 and then count backwards. Recently, I focus on sounds. Play with it; you'll find what works for you.

With practice, it gets easier. And I think meditation is helpful even when my mind wanders the whole time. I get much calmer and more able to deal with things when I meditate every day (even if my mind wanders a lot).

Relaxation and meditation-- you bring up an interesting point. Kind of a paradox. Relaxed mindfulness or relaxed attention!

One of the best meditation times that I had was when I sat down and had the thought that meditation was a waste of time. So I simply repeated silently, "waste of time" over and over. I got to such a peaceful place. That experience convinced me that being true to where you are at is so important. Sometimes I just repeat, "I like my thoughts!"

I have had times when I get very still and quiet inside and many other times when my mind wanders. It's all helpful.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by ste View Post

I have through intense activity "stopped" my mind, what the Japanese call "Nin", though not lately. The state of being "here now" is very compelling, and I would like to be able to do it in inactivity.

Any encouragement, pointers, advice, words of wisdom, comments, much appreciated.
I to have "stopped my mind" with what Zen calls ZaZen or Taoism calls Pu.

It is great for when I am deeply disturbed and works almost as well as downing a 5th of vodka in one gulp. LOL!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Meditation.....Pondering.....However you define it, is the practice of invoking spiritual renewal through reflection and/or contemplation. Aligning and improving our inner workings -through a relationship with the God of our understanding- is a key component to spiritual renewal and has the capacity to elevate our minds past the turmoil’s of life into the stratosphere of peace and possibility.

My journey into AA was born out of need not want and meditation has helped in realigning God's intentions with mine. Renewing a sense of purpose for my life and growing spiritually -through many personalized yet constructive outlets- had a profound impact on my future sobriety and meditation was the driving force behind my decision to follow the flow of the spirit not one's based on my intellect alone.

I found comfort in the light of the spirit and the prospect of a better life and continuous sobriety through the workings of this fellowship has instilled -in me- the greater hope of a more stable future. Spiritual renewal -found in the contemplative life- has given me, in retrospect, a greater glimpse of god's will for my life; directing me along the straight and narrow path towards a more promising yet probable future awaiting for me in sobriety, one day at a time

~God Bless~

"As the body can fail its purpose for lack of nourishment, so can the soul"
Excerpt from step 11 of the twelve and twelve
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Gravity wrote:
"When I look back on all these worries I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which never happened.
—Winston Churchill"

My favorite from Winston is "The graveyards are filled with indispensable men"

Oak wrote:
My mind also wanders during meditation. But when I notice my mind wandering, I try to just return my focus to breathing (or whatever I am focusing on). I focus on different things- breathing, body sensation (hands, feet, or legs/back against the chair), or a saying. Counting breaths can help to- count to ten and start over, or count to 4 and then count backwards. Recently, I focus on sounds. Play with it; you'll find what works for you.

I have tinnitus, and sometimes focus on the ringing in my ears! It has become a quick way to begin, like a trigger, but as of yet doesn't hold my mind very long. Back to practice...