Notices

Drinking again

Old 02-06-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shame and pride paralysed me - and that nearly killed me, Purple.

You won't be the first person ever to walk back in there having drunk, and having not been entirely honest before....

It will be tough sure...but you'll get help....and you need help, Purple.

D
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Again, that's your head lying to you in order to continue drinking.

I slipped around AA for 6+ years, went to lots of meetings drinking and sometimes drunk. People were uniformly nicer to me than I was to them, or deserved. I think that's because we're always glad to see one of us back, and especially so if they mean business this time.

They were cordial again in '82 when I was so desperate I reluctantly decided to try out all the stuff they said worked to keep them sober. I haven't had a drink or drug since.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

This thread brought back an old memory. An old (best) friend came to visit after many years. We went to the liquor store and I picked up a bottle of scotch, he looked at me, and picked up a bottle of vodka. Asked him why, his response.... "Clean kill". I, then, started drinking Vodka. Didn't fully realize until I moved to Russia, where Vodka is cheap, and available 24/7. He was right, I could kill myself without the inconvenience of bad hangovers.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Do you have numbers of your fellow-members in AA? Call one. Any one. Now.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

((purple))

Don't let pride get in the way, everyone understands relapsing, it's so very common. Please go get help.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm not sure 3 instances in a 4-month span can all be uniquely described as relapses. That just sounds to me like you're still drinking.

You mentioned "shame" in your last post. Though it can be a powerful emotion, what is more powerful: your shame, or your will to live? If you say that living is more important, I can assure you that a liter of vodka a day is not the best way to go.

Get to AA, or church, or a counseling session...Do whatever you need to do to stop drinking. Millions of others have done it; there's no reason you can't.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Nobody is gonna be shocked that an alcoholic is back to drinking again. That's what we DO. Until you have recovered, it's not at all unusual.

You said yourself that you did "everything wrong that AA says not to do". Why not try doing what AA says TO do? Get a sponsor, get a home group, start working the Steps. Raise your hand at the meeting, say you've been drinking again and you need help to stop. My guess is you won't leave the meeting without someone willing to work with you.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As an alcoholic who went from connoisseur to common sewer
my experience is if you drink enough of alcohol

Yes.. hangovers will come...and de toxing will be dangerous
when doing withdrawal alone.

We are not here to discuss types of alcohol or brands.

We are here to offer support for anyone interested in sobreity.

This is our Alcoholism Forum
AA is not the only way to stop killing yourself with a toxin.
Please find something else if AA is not for you.
This link has other options

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You have to be completely honest with yourself whether or not you want to stop drinking now. Alot of us somewhere in our minds DO want to stop drinking, but are not 100% serious about it. If you really truly want to stop, you need to take the steps to stop. It's gonna be tough, it may very well take every ounce of strength you have to be completely sober, but i wish you luck.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I went to the ER this morning.....they released me to my sponsor with med's to help with detox...I am thankful I asked for help from my AA friends...get right back up..they do love me and only want me sober.