Notices

Drinking again

Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking again

I started drinking again...my first time drinking vodka...was a wine drinker...up to 2-3 bottles a day for the last 4 days(was sober for 2 years). yesterday I drank a liter of vodka and I didn't feel drunk this morning....or hungover. With wine I would be sick for a couple days. i went and bought another liter and started on that....I can't seem to stop...I really just want to stop the withdrawls slowly...I don't want to drink....how does vodka affect you...I feel so different this time.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As a person who is working towards year two of sobriety may I ask what sent you out drinking again? Money problems, failed realtionship, bad day.....It just freaks me out when people with over a year go back out drinking.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Getting out of that extraordinary, ferocious cycle of 20 years of drinking was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do in my life. You have done it before, you should do it again now (after only 4 days) as it will only become more difficult the longer you wait. You know what it feels like physically to be sober. Best of luck in dealing with the challenges you must be facing to casue you to start drinking again.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wasn't going to enough meetings (1or 2 a month) .....I did everything wrong that AA talks about. I lost the cravings and the thought of drinking was terrible...but I picked up when my aunt died...I can't believe it myself. Too much on my plate...Moving in with my boyfriend of 1 year...my house not selling.....I worry all the time about everything!!!! I just wanted to shut my brain off!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Towards the end, I started drinking vodka too. You're right.. I didn't have as much of a hangover, and didn't feel as horrible as I had drinking wine or beer or other liquors. That fact nearly killed me, and rightly should have. Ended up in the emergency room because my husband thought I was "acting weird", with a .568 BAC. I should have been dead, but I was not only alive, but coherant, walking, talking etc.. I have absolutely no idea how close to death I had come, heck, I thought I found a bigger/better drunk to partake in, vodka!

Please be careful... very very careful. If you want to keep drinking, it is obviously your right, and your choice. If you want to stop, please see a doctor.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your insight...vodka is doing a number on me and I only have been drinking it for 2 days.....I can only imagine BAC ...And the need to keep drinking...wine always made me too sick to continue. I have called a couple rehab centers....detox at the hospital is out of the question....pride.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Vodka was part of my biggest multi-day benders, too. I think because you can drink it so quickly. Please keep looking for that center.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Throw the alcohol out. Stop pouring that poison into your body.

Pick up the telephone and call the AA hotline. Ask for some help.

Someone from AA will call you back.

If you are very afraid of withdrawal...(even though you say you have only been drinking for 4 days)...go to an outpatient clinic, or ER today for assistance for a safe withdrawal.

Just say you have been drinking heavily and fear stopping all at once, but have no desire to keep drinking, and they will help you.

If you keep drinking, it will get worse. Stop. Now. Ask for help. Take some action. Take care of yourself, instead of hurting yourself.

The only way to stop is to stop.

I heard Joe and Charlie Big Book study, and I think Charlie said, "It's hard to control your drinking while drinking."
Old 02-05-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

According to the U.S. center for Disease Control....

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage...that's true for all drinkers.
the Salvation Army runs free short term de tox facilities
in many areas..that is a fact.
I just read that some of the walk in clinics do de toxes
you could call some and see if that is possible for you.
Your doctor can also help with withdrawals...ad can
ER's especially in teaching hospitals.

Why do you want a rehab center?
Welcome back to SR....
Old 02-05-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drinking the vodka is what pushed me from binge drinker to alcoholic.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Purple

Welcome

My pride stopped me from getting help too - and nearly killed me.

Nothing is more important than your life.
Please seek some professional medical guidance.

D
Old 02-05-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you're having second thoughts about making yourself sicker.

When you can, start to pull yourself out of this...hit a meeting, tell on yourself and start from scratch. Maybe a bit more involvement this time.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
According to the U.S. center for Disease Control....

the Salvation Army runs free short term de tox facilities
in many areas..that is a fact.
I just read that some of the walk in clinics do de toxes
you could call some and see if that is possible for you.
Your doctor can also help with withdrawals...ad can
ER's especially in teaching hospitals.

Why do you want a rehab center?
Welcome back to SR....
i have read a few web pages about the high fructose corn syrup and how it can give you fatty liver like alcohol can.

The problem can actually double if you get a liquor that uses HFCS as a sweetener + the alcohol can do a number on your body.

I just thought I'd throw that out there.
Also to the OP: Please be careful.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Still drinking....how do I stop ? Vodka is so different....help
Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Purple - I gave up drinking the hard stuff decades ago because it was scary how I never knew when I would suddenly be totally drunk. So, even though I was drinking alcoholically, I seemed to be able to control it much better with beer/wine.......

I'm afraid for you as far as detox goes and hope you can get some help for it. I understand the pride thing, but you're going to end up in the hospital anyway if you don't stop. Sometimes we just have to surrender.....

You deserve a better life, purple. Sending hugs and prayers......:ghug3
Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Vodka has always been my drink of choice.
It made me sick as h*ll when I was hungover.
Get rid of it.
Just stop.
It doesn't matter if wine, beer or liquor is what you like, or what makes you the least hung over, or makes you drink faster or slower.
If you have a problem with alcohol, its all bad.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A buddy of mine has drank Vodka for the last 10 years. About a 1.75 of TAAKA every two days. About a year ago he was told he had half a liver (function) - Stopped for awhile. Started back up. Tried just beer... it didn't work. More TAAKA.

Now, in trouble with the law due to forging paperwork for state assistance (felonies, four of them) - Now, he's in a 30 day court ordered, if he's good for two years, the one felony conviction reduces to gross misdemeanor.

He's the reason I've never drank Vodka.

Dump it.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Alcohol is alcohol. It doesn't make a darned bit of difference whether it's in the form of beer, wine, or hard liquor. Obviously it takes less quantity to get drunk on liquor than something with a higher alcohol content, and sometimes the additives in diffent kinds of alcohol can make a person feel somewhat different physically (e.g., one kind might give you more of a headache or stomachache), but it all damages your brain and body the same way. You are just as likely to be an alcoholic if you drink one form as another.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And some can't stop because they're drinking Tenant's Super. Answer is the same whatever you're pouring down your neck. The difference you believe is so because you're drinking vodka is a lie your head is telling you in order to allow your drinking to continue. It's pretty much a lie machine right now when you're drinking, so pay little attention to it.

You'll come to a spot where you've made yourself too sick to drink. Drag yourself even though you feel and look very bad and shakey and are sure no one will like you to your local AA meeting 15 minutes before it starts, not later even though you don't want to be noticed. Shake some hands and let them know you're new and don't want to drink again.

They'll take it from there.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am not new to AA that is the problem. My first relapse was in Aug. then again at Thanksgiving then again at Xmas. Now I started drinking again 4 or is it 5 days ago. I didn't drink as much yesterday.....but I still want to drink....everything they say at AA is so true....when you pick up again it is worse. I was honest about my drinking again back in Aug...but I never talked about the other times. I feel too much shame to go back.