Notices

drinking in the afternoon?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking in the afternoon?

is it possible to be able to control myself. like i've been trying to go for days with out drinking. but what if i can just have like one drink one night, and that's it. am i getting over my problem then. i went like 4 days recently, and then decided i was doing good, and rewarded myself by having one mikes hard lemondade, and that's all i had. is that bad to do that? today, i'm not very proud of myself tho. i am watching 3 kids. and its the afternoon and i've already had a few drinks. i am just so stressed, i needed to relax and get through the day. i'm sure there will be many people who will judge me, but have you ever felt so low, you just needed something, anything to pick you up and help you keep living and getting through each day. is it really so bad that i need a drink to calm down once in awhile. why does that make me an alcoholic. maybe i really don't have a problem at all. maybe this is just all situational based.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh Pink. What are you trying to do here? Do you want us to tell you that you can moderate your drinking? Are you looking for us to tell you it is OK to drink while being responsible for three kids? Alcohol sure is cunning, baffling, and powerful.

Have you been to a meeting yet? Time to get off this treadmill Pink.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You already know the answer to those questions, pink. Changing the way you ask them isn't going to get you any different answers here. We will never tell you that we feel it's okay for you to drink since you have shared enough with us to know that you have a definite problem with alcohol.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pink

You had 1 and now you are a few drinks in while watching kids in the middle of the day.

The writing is all over the walls and if you can just think about how serious this is you will understand when I say it's only a matter of time before you lose all 3 of your kids.

The clock is ticking...
Old 02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You had one yesterday, and are wondering if that is bad. Yet today you've had "a few", while providing child care.

Do you think if you abstained yesterday you would've had "a few" today? Do you see any connection there?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Only an alcoholic would believe having a drink is a reward for not drinking for a couple of days.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pink

Just do me a favour - go back and read every one of your old posts and threads.
They're all asking the some question - look how long it's been.

You're no different than I was - asking the same thing over and over again...doing the same thing over and over again when you promised you wouldn't...forgetting how bad you felt last time....having a brief period of success that makes us question whether we actually need to stop...

but the 'control' never lasts, Pink - not for folks like us.

Watching your kids with a few drinks is never good Pink. There's simply no argument about that for me.

Millions of parents manage to do that sober - they wouldn't even think of drinking.

If you *need* something to get you through? then you have a problem and you need help. Pink.

I can't keep giving you the same answers while you ask the same questions - I wish you well, but it's up to you now, Pink.

Accept you have a problem and do something about it - get help...please.

Good luck
D
Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i know. but i don't want to have a problem with this. i really want and need to control it. how can i possibly live the rest of my life without ever having another drink ever again. it just seems so impossible to me.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No alcoholic wants to have that problem, but just denying it or refusing to get help only makes it worse. You need to get over your love affair with booze. All it wants to do is kill you, and it very well might, but you'll go through a lot of hell first. Get help.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

are you sure there is no way to moderate my drinking? even if i try really hard and use my will power.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA would answer those questions for you Pink. But as it was explained to me is that you CAN drink next week, Super Bowl, Christmas, etc. But just don't drink TODAY! And every day, you say the same thing. I will not drink TODAY. Take each day as it's own and don't worry about tomorrow. I have been sober over a year now. And if I were to sit and think about all the times in my future that I could NOT drink, I would never maintain sobriety. But when I look at it as just "not drinking today" then it seems manageable.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkfirefly View Post
are you sure there is no way to moderate my drinking? even if i try really hard and use my will power.
How has that plan worked so far?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Pink, don't stop drinking forever. Don't drink TODAY. When you wake up tomorrow, say to yourself "I won't drink TODAY". And get yourself some help- AA, anything.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You already know the answer to that question.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

I've tried really hard to make money appear out of thin air but I only ended up farting.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good advice here, the correct answers have already been given. Have you tried AA?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

is it possible to be able to control myself. like i've been trying to go for days with out drinking. but what if i can just have like one drink one night, and that's it. am i getting over my problem then. i went like 4 days recently, and then decided i was doing good, and rewarded myself by having one mikes hard lemondade, and that's all i had. is that bad to do that? today, i'm not very proud of myself tho. i am watching 3 kids. and its the afternoon and i've already had a few drinks. i am just so stressed, i needed to relax and get through the day. i'm sure there will be many people who will judge me, but have you ever felt so low, you just needed something, anything to pick you up and help you keep living and getting through each day. is it really so bad that i need a drink to calm down once in awhile. why does that make me an alcoholic. maybe i really don't have a problem at all. maybe this is just all situational based.
Classic alcoholic thinking.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Heathen

I know I banned myself from reading your threads.. but I had to.

And all I have to say at this point, after you've completely ignored all of the good advice, guidance, support and encouragement in your threads.. is that I really hope in some way, some how that the authorities are clued in to the way you and your husband are treating and neglecting those children. Now you're watching someone else's child and drinking too. I hope for their little lives that this comes to an end without any suffering.

All I can think of now when I see your name pop up, is that terrified, uncared for newborn.. screaming on the bathroom floor next to his blasted drunk mother, placed there by his angry father. If I didn't feel so sorry for him, I might have some compassion for you and the struggle you're dealing with. Heck at this point it's really not a struggle for you, is it Pink? Now you have absolutely no plans of changing, and have amped up your drinking again, and now even while caring for a child who isn't even yours. What's next for you?

Last edited by smacked; 02-02-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-02-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pink....

" I know. but i don't want to have a problem with this. i really want and need to control it. how can i possibly live the rest of my life without ever having another drink ever again. it just seems so impossible to me."

I never wanted to become an alcoholic, but, I did.

The only way not to drink, is just one day at a time.

Accepting my problem was the beginning of finding a solution.

Willpower, control...those words are never uttered out by "normal" person".
Why?

Because they just stop and one or two without even giving it a second thought.

Not this alcoholic, I gave it a second, third and fourth thought.

I couldn't manage my drinking, my life had become unmanageable.

Have you checked into AA at all?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Pink...

I looked at all the threads started by you since you joined... out of 19, 6 were locked and closed!!! Seems you strike some nerves around here.

You are just doing what an active alcoholic does, you drink. Fact, not judgement.

Have you considered going for treatment... maybe a month or two in rehab will help get you sober, your head straight and any emotional/mental/medical issues you may have to get sorted out...

Seriously, consider it... The alternatives are worse.