Notices

What was your alcohol consumption?

Old 12-20-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What was your alcohol consumption?

I'm just wondering how much of alcohol consumption the board members used to drink . Well, when I was really a heavy drinker from 2001 to 2004, used to drink easily about 16 shots of vodka at daily basis. Constantly tired and drunk.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

I drank mostly beer and wine. At the end I could easily drink 12 beers in a couple of hours, sometimes I would then "sleep" for a couple of hours, wake up and do it again, or I could drink two bottles of wine and a few beers in just a couple of hours.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

started drinking at 17...by 21 i was drinking more than 18 beers a day. by 30 it was more than a case. Then i got into hard liquor.....the rest is a blur. i broke my back at 30 and it was a 12 pack of beer with a pint and then a 5th and then i dropped the beer and drank (2) 5ths a day and then it was getting worse and worse until at 37 i was up to almost a half a gallon a day of whiskey or vodka and alot of pills.

how i survived...is truely a miracle.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was a big beer drinker. Typical consumption for me was at the very least an 18 pack of beer. Most likely a 24 pack in one night. Usually I would start looking for more alcohol after drinking the 24 pack and end up sipping on wine or some leftover liquor until I passed out. I also had some time with drinking liquor but I never got into drinking liquor as much. I always tended to drink much more when at home then if I was out at some bar/club though. I guess b/c it's always cheaper to drink at home and then you can pretty much not worry about spending lots of money on drinks out.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

enough to get me drunk.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will never understand how people could get drunk off beer...way to filling...lol

Last 5 years I was on average a 2 liter of wine a day drinker....sometimes more....rarely less. Also smoked about 2/3 of a pack of Marlboro's a night as well.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Darn if I know....I was a blackout drinker
Much more important is what I do to stay a non drinker...
Old 12-20-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still trying to figure it out

I feel good the first 2-3 drinks and then all goes to hell. I can drink up to 13 drinks (beer, wine, hard stuff) before I pass out. My danger zone is the 4th drink and I am realizing I am unable to stop at number 3.... I do drink slowly but often on an empty stomach.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

My alcohol consumption can only be described as INSANE.... I use to drink about a 5th of beam a day/night plus around 6 beers and maybe 4+ other assorted drinks/shots... Mind you I'm pretty small for a guy.. Standing a tall 5'4'' and weighing a heavy 138lbs...

So yeah back to the beginning I believe it can only be described as INSANE.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I drank mostly wine. 1-2+ bottles a night. More on weekends.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does it really matter how much we drank? Enough to hit bottom. Enough to have the pain of drinking far worse than the pain of recovery. Enough to not want to ever drink again. Enough to convince us that we had to stop drinking -- or die an alcoholic death.

The more important questions are "Do we really want to stop?" and "What are we willing to do to achieve and maintain sobriety?" Susan
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Enough to know I can't have just have one or two "drinks" (whatever they may be) then stop.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

in the last 6 months of my struggle i was up to 3/4th's of a 1.75litre per day, usually vodka or rum. plus a pack of menthols per day
Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I drank anywhere from a 12pack of beer to a fifth or two of cheap Vodka. I also drank rubbing alcohol and mouthwash the times liquor was not sold or I could steal those items more easily than regular booze. I always hated waking up early Sunday morning & not being able to buy beer until 11Am because of the local liquor laws. That's the day I usually resorted to rubbing alcohol which often times caused me great stomach pain.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

Just so nobody "compares out" because they didn't drink enough to qualify........

It ain't so much about how much we drank

or when

or where

or how often.

It's about what happen to us when we did drink.

The pecking order in recovery is not determined on how much we drank, how much jail time we did, or how messed up we are. At the moment, we all have a seat in a life boat. We can talk about how far we swam to get to the life boat, or work on which way to paddle.

Last edited by Lushwell; 12-20-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: speling is hard
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
The more important questions are "Do we really want to stop?" and "What are we willing to do to achieve and maintain sobriety?" Susan
This is why I quit. I don't really think I drank *that much*. Lots of nights it would be 2-3 beers at the bar my friend works at. (Not your typical beers though, craft beers with very high alcohol content). Not every night of the week. And occasionally I would drink 5-6 which is a LOT for me. Sometimes a whole bottle of wine. Sometimes I would take shots along with whatever else I was drinking. Sometimes I would drink hard liquor. It was probably a very rare occasion that I ever had more than 6 drinks in one sitting.

I quit because I no longer feel like its fun or social. Even the relatively small amount I seemed to be drinking compared to some of you made me feel like crap. I would get so hungover that I would have to cancel plans, run to the bathroom to throw up at work, or miss family holiday plans because I was too hungover.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm an alcoholic or not. All I know, is I was uncomfortable with my relationship with drinking. I feel that it has steadily progressed over the years (remember when you were 19 and could bounce back from a hangover no problem?) As I got older, I drank way less per sitting than my early days, but it affected me much more. I started drinking during the week and alone which never happened before. I see what it has done to friends. What used to seem like harmless partying now has me thinking twice. I found myself obsessing over whether to buy alcohol, or how much was left, or when the bar was closing so I could have one more. If at a dinner party, I found myself obsessing over how much wine was left in the bottle because I wanted to make sure I had a refill. One drink was never enough. I found myself driving when I had no business driving. I feel like it does not add anything positive to my life at all and so I'm ready to be done with it.

Here I am on day 9.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you, Lushwell. That's pretty much what I was trying to say, but I think you said it better.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When it got to I had to drink to feel normal was when I stopped. Ironically that was a lot less than when I drank heavily.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A pint or two of bourbon a day. The expensive stuff, I was a snooty drunk! It got down to the point that the withdrawal symptoms started about 4-5 hours after consumption, which basically makes it impossible to lead a normal life any more.

I finally decided to quit when I was sitting in a meeting about 3 PM, I hadn't had anything to drink since morning, and the symptoms got so bad that I lost the ability to read or speak. I excused myself, went home sick, and checked into the hospital the next day. Experiment over!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's not how much I drank, it's how it affected me. When I started adding vodka to the party because beer didn't do much, that's when trouble started.