Notices

Hard time convincing myself I have a problem

Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I would get a new box of wine, replace the empty one, completely break down the box and put it inside out in the recyling bin so my husband wouldn't know how much I was really drinking! I'm happy now knowing how much healthier my liver must be not downing all that crap day after day!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I I just can’t think of what I will do with my time. I really loved to drink at home a relax.
Brother, believe me, there is life after drinking. I'm proof. Get through these first troubling days (and weeks, to some extent) and you will find you can relax at home without drinking. SR was a lifeline for me in the beginning. I did the things I would normally do while drinking, but it wasn't the same. I constantly thought about beer. Before, I drank while watching TV or DVDs, I drank while I read. I drank while I did chores or household projects. How can I enjoy those things sober, I asked myself? I just learned to.

Notice a trend? I drank..., I drank..., I drank....Where was my wife in this equation? I wasn't always there for her.

So I focused on my recovery, focused on the wife and on being a husband.

You want something to do instead of drink tonight...look through the forum for Friends and Family of Alcoholics...read about the pain of being married to a drunk. That should get you through tonight and a couple nights.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Your screen name makes me think that praying might help you. I know when I had bad cravings in the first few weeks (especially on weekend afternoons and especially on Fridays!), I would repeat the serenity prayer and that helped me get my mind off of it and God helped me not drink until the craving passed. The cravings WILL pass but it does take some time. I know I used to get anxiety driving past the grocery store, let alone a liquor store, because I knew there was wine inside and that's what I used to buy at the grocery store. It gets better.
I know one thing that helped me realize I am an alcoholic is the cravings after I quit. I realized that "normies" don't crave alcohol.
Good luck....you can do this.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...prayer helps me immensley in all situations
Here is the one LM and I found useful...

The Serenity Prayer

.God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Please post as often as you wish...members like you who
are seeking recovery is the point of our site.

By sharing with you....we can help ourselves stay focused.

It's a win win deal
Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I did not stop on the way home to pick up alcohol, and I am proud of that.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

You should be proud!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

WWG. Good job on fighting the cravings, I know they are very tough. My brain always tells me exactly what you said, I can enjoy a beer, my freinds all drink, my wife only drinks a few maybe I can, etc... All I will say is, for me honesty is the cornerstone of my recovery. The truth is I am an alcoholic. No question about. My best thinking and planning and evaluating were no match for the first drink. I could not quit on my own, I tried for years to either quit or cut back, each time I drank at least as much as before if not more.

What I did was start going to AA. I found a group of people that knew exactly what I was going through. I cosider myself to be a "high bottom" drunk - meaning I was never arrested, lost my house, car, etc... Having said that I was spiritually banktrupt and pretty much was disgusted with myself. In AA I heard stories of peoplat that lost everything. And guess what? They were much, much, much happier with themselves than I was. That's when I thought there might be something to it. If these people had come to a place in their life of acceptance so could I.

I'm not quite there, but I do "buy in". I wish you the best of luck man. You can get sober without AA and sorry if I seem "preachy". I just wanted to share what has worked for me because I really identify with your post.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Go to a meeting

Going to an AA meeting for your 1st time can be a scary thing. I found a friend of mine in recovery to take me to my 1st meeting. Thank god there is help for me out there. There is no way I could do this alone. At AA meetings you will meet people who have been through it all. Your story is not unique. I stayed sober for 8 months with the help of AA when I was 18 years old. I then went back out and drank for 25 years. Now I am trying to learn to live sober again. I haven't had a drink in 8 days. They say I need to leave 5 posts before I can enter a chat room. Here is my 1st post.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My wife has no idea how many liquor stores there are in a 5 mile radius. However, guys like you and I now exactly how many, where they are, how long it will take to get there and what time they open. Your wife is probably like my wife, can sit and nurse a drink, maybe two at their convenience. Me I'm thinking, what's the point? Why would anyone drink 1 or 2? I will never understand that. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Still to this day I find watching normal drinkers fascinating. It's like why would you leave half a drink on the table? I know at the deepest core of my being that I'm not like them. And my truth is that I didn't convince myself of that fact. Alcoholism does a fine job at that all on it's own. The wheels of alcoholism grind slow, but fine. So, if you are alcoholic, it will reveal itself. Maybe it already has, but maybe not. I woke up to that truth long after my alcoholism was very clear to others around me. And that's a very common finding among us. We are usually the last to wake up. The best way to find out is to sit down with an alcoholic and first find out what an alcoholic is and is not. What does alcoholism look like? Bring your experiences to that description and see if it fits. The Big Book of Alcoholic's Anonymous does an incredible job of describing and painting a picture of alcoholism. When I found myself described within the pages of that book and brought all of my experiences and lined them up with their description of the alcoholic......well it was a defining moment for me.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I was really struck by your post. It was a "this is your life" moment. You just described my life and the progression towards alcholism that I have lived w/ with my AH. He too was sucessful, stressed, was highly functional, but eventually it gets the better of you. I can't judge your or your situation, just give you the wisdom of hindsight I personally have experienced. Please stop and access your situation. It may save you and your family from terrible problems. My highly sucessful husband has lost his career (and income that went w/ that), has been unemployed for quite awhile, still struggling to stay sober, deeply depressed, very angry, etc... the strain on my kids and our marriage has been much more than most people could withstand. My prayer for you is that you honestly judge yourself and decide what's really best for you and your family. Nothing good can come from the situation you described. Best of luck.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Zega....
Welcome to our recovery community

All my best as you move forward...
Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

JimBeam....:
I'm glad you found our F&F Forum
So much support and understanding there....

Sorry to know of your situation
Blessings to y'all