Notices

Why Do you drink?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Do you drink?

Im curious as to wonder why do each and every one of you drink, including myself. Id have to say that ive been a heavy drinker since December 2007 (when i turned 21). And in that time my drinking habits increased. Id say my peak time was the year of 2009 when i probabaly drunk over 300+ days out of the year.

The year of 2010 was different as i have gradually slowed down, (this is in due fact to the often "pains" i get from drinking) like stomach pains and back pains (possibly kidney?) but ive been to the doctor on these "scares" and everything turned out fine. Ive had alot of pains in my life even before i started drinking and its always been nothing, its strange. But maybe not for too much longer? Anyway i was thinking as to why i drink and im not 100% the main thing. I think one of the mains reasons is for a stress reilever. But i dont moan and pick up a beer like some people. I do it more to relax. Also i honestly dont drink more then 3 days a week now as it was 7 days a week last year. But when i do i like to get wasted (mainly on weekends, 40+ beers etc).

Then back to work and im usually sober all week (though i get semi urges but i dont because going to work all hungover is not good anymore imo) But i think the sad reality of why i drink which may cause me to have many health problems in years to come is that i do it more as a hobby. You see i really dont have any friends and all my activies involve me staring at a computer screen all day playing games etc when im not at work. I dont socialize whatsoevr.

So the "Thing to do" today is get drunk. Some peoples thing to do is to take their kid to the park or go to their partners house, or go shoot some hoops, my thing to do in the day when im at work and when im thinking about it is "Ooh well im gonna have a drink and get drunk when i get home" thats my activity. Now that i rarely drink the days i work i find myself staring at the comp screen sometimes thinking of drinking but not really so much. Ive also managed to take a full week off from drinking on a few occasions this year. But its my weekend that gets me the most. THe idle time spent doing nothing makes the urge grow. Like today is sunday and i worked and didndt drink today as always, and ill drinking agian on thursday (which is my friday). Now i know what ure thinking, why not do something other then sit at the house all day?

Well i have and when i do i find myself still wanting a drink (well on my weekends anyway). If i were able to work 7 days a week, i may be able to kick the habit 100%. But im wondering why you all drink too?

Also i have to note that when i drink on my weekends i am an all day drinker. This means wake up 5am get drunk, go to sleep 1am the next morning get drunk wake back up at 5am get drunk go to sleep early that next day as i have work etc.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TB

Welcome

I used to have a long list of why I drank - I was sad, I was happy, I was bored, I was celebrating, I felt sick, I felt good, I was alone, I was with friends....

Basically I drank cos I was awake. I was an alcoholic.

That 5am-1am cycle sounds an awful lot like how I used to live.

Do you want to stop?

D
Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi TB

Welcome

I used to have a long list of why I drank - I was sad, I was happy, I was bored, I was celebrating, I felt sick, I felt good, I was alone, I was with friends....

Do you want to stop?

D
Yea, i do that usually every one of my weekends, though when i used to drink everyday i would come home from work at 2pm and get wasted till 10pm. I think that my drinking habits have slowed consideraly since last year but i know for a fact in my heart that i wont stop, not yet at least. But i do feel that i need to, as the psychological effects are starting to get to me.

Let me repriase that. Like im not so much the same person i was say 3 years ago. My mind is darker, i snap faster and i have some not so good thoughts at times :P. But dont get me wrong, everyone who knows me or works with me says im a genuiely good person. But i know whats in my head and what i think and not them :P.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi TB

Welcome

Do you want to stop?

D
+1, especially on the just being awake part

I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why I drank. Eventually I figured out that I was trying to discover how I could modify my behavior so I could drink normally. It never worked because I am an alcoholic.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dime View Post
+1, especially on the just being awake part

I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why I drank. Eventually I figured out that I was trying to discover how I could modify my behavior so I could drink normally. It never worked because I am an alcoholic.
I think Dee may have a point, maybe i do or did drink because i am awake. But a alcoholic is an alcoholic even if they dont drink everyday (as i a beer next to me and a few empty beers on my table that i never touch until my weekend starts up again) Like im not one of those types that cant be around it.

I often find myself not discarding all my beer and it lies there some open some not for days on end next to me until i choose to drink again. But looking at it makes the urge grow a little sometimes! But i realize my responsibilties at work so i quickly say to myself it isn't gonna happen. Going to work hungover is not good and i've learned my lesson on that.

But yea, the very foundation of my life the past 3 years has been drinking, i honestly dont know how my life would be if it were taken out 100%. I think id need to start doing things to take my mind off i
t, Because the idle time makes me think about it the most.

I also wanted to be completely honest about what i do when i drink. My normal weekend is normally. Wake up at 5am drink alot (sometimes eat first sometimes not) how much i drinking depends normally, usually ending passing out by about 12pm, wake up eat, then don't drink for a while as i feel a little sick (but i never throw up at least not for years).Start back up maybe 2-3pm get wasted again, pass out yet again at about 7pm, wake up at 9pm, eat. calm down as yes i feel kinda sick hungover. Then start back up at maybe 11pm-1am, go to sleep wake up at 5am start again. Now that's terrible isn't it :P.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup I did exactly that at one point in my drinking career. I never fully grasped that alcoholism is a progressive disease and allowed my drinking to progress to the point where I was drinking vodka continuously. I fantasized that I could lick the disease and return to normal drinking and wasted a lot of years that I wish I had been in a recovery program.

I hope you don't allow your drinking to progress to the point where mine did. There is a better way to live if you are ready to accept help.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Why did I drink? As Dee so eloquently put it because I'm an alcoholic and I was awake. I could give you a number of excuses why I drank, but I only have one reason, I'm an alcoholic.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started off as a binge drinker...every weekend (Fri-Sun)....15 years later I was an all day everyday drinker.

I was an alcoholic at both times, IMO...just the volume and frequency changed...

D
Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Besides the addiction to the substance itself (the robotic purchases of more alcohol, like the choice wasn't something I owned), I think it provided, underneath, the illusion that I could get through life with less difficulty. It helped me to manage emotions and keep things going. I suppose that meant a reduction in fear at times. But I didn't have any promises from the alcohol and it took while it appeared to give.

I stopped when I was ready to decide I didn't want to accept that as normal (as in "Do you drink to feel normal?") and there had been enough pain. Other people could live without the suffering that came with drinking and other people could live without drinking too. Based on the years of addiction (which was not worth denying), I knew I couldn't drink once a month or twice a year; I would have drunk to get drunk and would have been trapped in it. I had BEEN trapped. So I told myself last year maybe now was the time to try to be one of those people that recognize they can never drink again and see what happens.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, your weekends sound exactly like mine! I drank bbecause I did not know how to live and wanted to die...drinking like that is like a living death. Life can be so much more.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To feel anything other than what I normally feel
Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I started drinking to appear sophistated...and as a rebellion
to my non drinking family.

I quit drinking because it made me depressed....
all my fun bottles were empty.

Glad you are thinking about what you need to do
to to enjoy a healthier sober future...

Welcome to SR....
Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to escape from myself, and to 'medicate' my depression and anxiety... which just got worse...

Now I don't drink because I like myself sober and am enjoying my life.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today there are more reasons NOT to drink. Just sayin....
Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

I'm a little different from most alcoholics...

From day one, I drank to get drunk. I didn't start out "social drinking" although my buddies & I attended the occasional party.

I never drank to escape anything. I never drank because I was down & thought that was the only way out. I never woke up and took a drink, even though many told me that would cure a hangover.

I drank for one reason & one reason alone. I liked getting plastered... I enjoyed drinking with my buddies when I was young & I enjoyed drinking alone after they all went off & got married. I never drank for any negative reason, whatsoever.

HOWEVER, negativity slowly creeped into my life. I began getting depressed a lot. Most of it was when I was sober, not drunk. When I drank, I was a happy-go-lucky drunk, joking & talking sh*t to folks. It was when I was sober that all the bad things started happening, like depression, diarhea (5-10 times a day), excessive gas, & anger.

And as odd as it seems, the more you do it, the more these things start happening... I got to the point where I would look at my 9mm & wonder what it would be like if I were dead.

Then the last straw hit, waking up several times at night to go urinate, then my vision went haywire the last night I drank. That was the point where I said "No More!"

If you have only been doing it 3 years and can drink 40+ beers, you need to look into that, now. In my 20+ years of drinking I only drank over 20 beers once. I always passed out before then.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I drank because I wanted to be someone other than myself, I wanted to come out of my shell and not be so shy and quiet; in the end I drank alone 99% of the time in an attempt to obliterate all coherant thought and feeling and ultimately to obliterate self.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Every reason I had was an excuse.

But now I don't need them, as I am a non-drinker!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
You see i really dont have any friends and all my activies involve me staring at a computer screen all day playing games etc when im not at work. I dont socialize whatsoevr.
Im tearing down my computer today and just going to use the public library to print things like my resume. I spend way too much time on the computer.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I liked the feeling of being buzzed, pretty simple. Unfortunately it rarely stopped at buzzed.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Of course....I certainly did not expect my drinking would bring
me into active alcoholism.....

Please read this article..you may not have read it before

How We Get Addicted - TIME