Notices

Why Do you drink?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
High on Life

I liked the feeling it gave me initially and then it just became apart of my identity. Sometimes even when I didn't feel like drinking, I would drink anyway, because that was what was expected of me.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I basically drank b/c I like the effect of being f-ed up.

...but now since I've been sober for a little while, I realized I drank/drugged b/c I always felt less than since I can first remember and alcohol and drugs allowed me to feel greater than.

I protected that greater than feeling with my life and almost lost it due to my alcoholism.

Now I'm learning how to feel equal to and no longer less than or greater than.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BKP

I saw a bumper sticker the other day- The life of the party, Be a DD. That hit home, it is so true. When I drink all reality, or what i think is reality is lost. I don't want to be like that. Like others on here I drank because I loved the feeling of being in a world of confusion and isolation. Sh!t i do that enough on my own and don't need any liquor to add to the stress of life. I love not drinking it makes me more creative and a better listener to others like yourself. Peace, hope and good vibes my friend.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

HUH? I drink because I'm an alcoholic. I call myself an alcoholic because I can't stop at one or two drinks. The past is irrelevant, all that matters is that I know that I'm an alcoholic.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, i just wanted to get a insight into peoples thoughts about why they drink and im reading that everyone has their own reason for drinking. But i think we all have a real reason for stopping. Now how long before any of us truly stop depends greatly on our age, current situation (medical, emotional, financial) or any other reason. Hopefully all of us will eventually stop. But the question is at what cost?

Whether it be physical or mental, whether we hit our mother or wife becuase we were so drunk, whether we shouted at our child, whether we drunkenly beat somoene to a pulp at a party because we were drunk, because we learned about serious health problems, because we were so drunk we fell off a ledge and broke our arm which required amputation.

Or any other thing that can occur. (Ill have that for you to think about) I wish you all luck in your struggle to stop your addiction. But through it all i think that each and everyone of us will be alright. Because its life, each and everyone of us makes mistakes, you're no worse for being an alocholic then someone is for being a thief or a bad husband, we each make mistakes but we learn from them and move on. This is just our struggle our thing we have to deal with, we have an alcohol addiction. You cant let the circumstances of the situation get to you.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I drank to be the life of the party, to "unwind" to numb...just about any reason to drink would do it...it was becoming such a part of me, I really didn't know anything else... damn glad that's behind me now!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I drank cos my x wife was a b......
Strangely , once that one saw sense and legged it..I drank cos my second wife is a b......
I drank cos we did well in the cricket....hell I drank when we lost.
I drank when everyone had gone home..
Maybe I drank because my dear mother forced me to eat sprouts and we all know they are poison..
And believe it or not I drank when I didn't want too.
I have a creaking book shelf here because some years ago I had the hots too finally crack why I drank....too much..and why life was a b....when I wasn't
drunk.
I should have burnt them....all I got was head full of answers that didn't fit.
Half dead and wishing for the end I read alcoholics anonymous.
That had some answers...but...it had a solution.
Being so wrapped up in why ....blinded me to the real question
What is the solution to this living he'll.