Notices

Is It Possible To Do This On Your Own?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tsmba View Post
You obviously didn't read my post. I was addressing the saying "AA is a selfish program" and made no mention of anyone's program.
that's not how i read it. That's not how it was typed either.

Murray wrote this...

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
I've gone solo on my first try for 5 months with the help of SR, and my wife knows as well.

If the Komodo Dragons (desires to drink) start closing in, I'll climb the closest AA tree to save myself!

Murray
and you responded.......

Originally Posted by tsmba View Post
I would be nervous about this practice. I've always felt the "selfish program" deal was ********....yes, we must get ourselves in order, but if we stop there, stagnation is the inevitable result. To me, its like using God as the "bush league pinch-hitter" mentioned in the 12 & 12. What works for me in the long run is daily maintenance. I've failed repeatedly by telling myself all is well, and "I know what to do if things deteriorate". Isolating from others in recovery sets me up for failure because others can see behavioral changes in me that I cannot.
am i missing something??

it looked to me like you were saying his practice of just using SR as daily maintenance and only using AA as a last resort was like using God as a "
bush league pinch hitter?!" ....cause that's what it sounded like to me.

You went on to basically say that beyond just getting sober, the alcoholic needed daily AA maintenance or he was isolating from others in recovery and that might set him up for failures because others know him better than himself?? so did i again miss your point?

nowhere did you say"AA is a selfish program". it is indeed. it's a place where you take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

My experience.

No I couldn't manage to stop/stay stopped on my own.

Hell i gave it a good go though........probably 10 years on and off......of shear willpower and grunt......never amounted to much.

Some years ago i came very close to taking my own life.......and i was sober at the time......i couldn't do sober or drunk

I found the solution in the book.. alcoholics anonymous.

But im open minded to other methods.....but have no experience of them myself.
I went the professional route for some time..therapists......mental health clinics......doctors.........none of those helped with my alcoholism either.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personal dialogues are best left to PMs folks....if you must.

Lets stick to the OP and the topic here.
D