Notices

What Did You Replace Drinking With?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am not really planning on replacing alcohol with anything. It never did fill 'the void'. If it had done, I wouldn't be here. All alcohol ever did was to numb the pain of my empty void.

I am on day 8 and atm most of my energy is being used up just not having a drink today. However I am acutely aware that I need to tackle the question of how to reach a peaceful state of sobriety but I am really not too happy when I see people saying "you have got to do AA" or "you just have to follow the steps (otherwise you are doomed)".

My current thinking is that, soon enough, I will need to "embrace my void". This could be a question of learning to love myself more as LaFemme says or it might be a more Buddhist route whereby "voidness" itself becomes my "higher power" in the 12 step process.

I think that the main cause of my alcoholism was a need to influence or change the things that were making me unhappy rather than merely to accept them as simply part of me. Above all I was trying to hide them away and protect myself from facing up to them. I need to achieve peace with my void - and stop judging whether it is good or bad for my future happiness.

All the keeping busy tricks already mentioned will hopefully tide me over in the meantime.