Notices

How do i really know am an alcoholic?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do i really know am an alcoholic?

Ok guys just to start out i am drunk right now but i cant stop because i cant sleep its 8:15am here. What i wanted to say is how do you know if you got a problem? (thank whoever for spell check) i drink half a bottle of vodka evey night and i wont/dont think i give that up.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Curse

I've seen you in the smoking forum - welcome to this part of the forum

I think, no matter whether you want to call it alcholism or not, drinking half a bottle of vodka a night and not wanting to give that up does constitute a problem, yeah?

If later, you do decide you want to try and give it up - please do see your doctor first before you do anything Curse - detox can sometimes be tricky and that's a lot of alcohol to be putting away each night.

D
Old 10-26-2010, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum....

I certainly hope you will quit drinking soon.
Alcoholic or not.....drinking causes so many
problems includeing your brain and body.

Please see your doctor....

Last edited by CarolD; 10-26-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and. Welcome! I just gotta say...that's a lot of vodka! Who cares what youj call it....drinking like that can't be good for you. I quit drinking and smoking 3+ months ago...I didn't think I xould....best thing I've ever done. Good luck I hope you keep posting.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

curse-i know the feeling well-i've had the last few days from hell-and gone back to the drinking-i've got an appointment with my doc at 10 a.m and i want some sort of home detox sorting out-i'm on the verge of losing my 11yr old son because of things that have happened in the last few days-and my return to hammering the ale.

i also spoke to my shrink yesterday and am waiting for him to sort me some sort of c.p.n out-he wants to put me on librium and detox-i recently saw a mate who was on it and he was spaced out big time-he didnt know what day it was-i'm as low as i can go right now but i know i'm going to do it-and i've been hammering it for the last 25 years-but i know once i come through the other side i'll be ok-my point is-ale has become part of my diet on a daily basis-so if i can do it-because i will-i'm determined now-then you can

feel free to give me a shout when we're both online if you want-even if it's just for someone to moan at.

best of luck-you'll get there.

john.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That is a lot of vodka every day... no matter what you call it, it's way more than normal drinkers have. I hope you can stop soon before anything really bad happens.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good input here Curse. If you are drunk at 8:15am and want to quit....you know what you need to do. Call it what ever we want but removing something negative from our lives has positives all around my friend.

Glad you are sharing and a first step would be a call to your Dr. just to keep them in the loop of whats going on.

I found I got finally got sober and started recovery when I addressed my problem and reached out. SR is here for you and adding the support on the home front was quite beneficial for me.

Wish you well and so many of us have been where you are and are now living great lives in sobriety.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

More than a little partial to this particular test, I have lived in Michigan for over 49 years.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Curse, I have been drunk a few times at 8:15 am myself. That wasn't at all my pattern a couple of years ago. But periodically I find I can't drink enough to fall asleep, so end up still awake on the couch in front of the tv with yet another drink at 8am. And then it continues into the afternoon.

That is what happened to me, again, this past Saturday evening. At 5pm on Sunday I finished my liter bottle of vodka. I never really did get much sleep. Yesterday I decided it was time to surrender. I am an alcoholic. I have made that concession many times in the past, but yesterday I realized what I would lose if I kept having those 24-32 hour bouts with the bottle.

For me, being alcoholic means not being able to stop once I start. It means picking up the first drink despite the fact that the sane part of me really doesn't want to. It means that my health, work, and relationships are negatively affected because I am unable to take care of these things when I drink.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think by asking drunk at 8am you already suspect that your one.....None of my "normal" friends were drunk at that time but I sure was.....
Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

You are here.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just don't know if i want to stop, maybe i think am too young to have a problem but i know its getting worse. Is there a way i just could cut back on how much i drink? I dont want to stop drinking altogether.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sadly Curse you're never too young for this problem. We get teenagers in these forums all the time.

If there was a way to cut back, we'd all have done it Curse - trust me...we all tried.

I guess if you're like me, you're gonna do what you're gonna do.

If you try to cut back, and it doesn't go too well, and you decide you really do have a problem and you want to fix it, you know where this forum is

D
Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea. I'd say you have a problem. I know how you feel. before I got pregnant, I was a half a bottle of vodka every night kind of girl. and now I still struggle with my drinking, tho I'm drinking very lightly now, only wine once a week or so, cuz i'm pregnant. but if you feel like you couldn't give it up, and you've been drinking like this for a while now, you most likely do have a problem. I can't give much advice on the topic, considering I'm still an alcoholic, and not in recovery yet. It is very hard. I am trying tho. the first step is admitting that you have a problem, and seeking help. good luck to you.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Originally Posted by Curse View Post
Ok guys just to start out i am drunk right now but i cant stop because i cant sleep its 8:15am here. What i wanted to say is how do you know if you got a problem? (thank whoever for spell check) i drink half a bottle of vodka evey night and i wont/dont think i give that up.
You know you're really an alcoholic when you put the drink down and cannot stop; when you want to stop, you cannot. When you look back at your drinking history. Call the local AA intergroup in your area. We can help you. All you need to do is make the phone call.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Curse, I understand not wanting to stop. I knew in my heart of hearts that I needed to cut out drinking for many years before it finally occurred to me that I might have a problem. And now I have been struggling with sobriety for over 2 years.

For me, not wanting to stop, or being afraid to do so, was one of the signs that I am an alcoholic. "Normal" folks don't think so much about their alcohol consumption and whether or not they will ever drink again. It's that obsession thing, which you'll hear about in AA meetings.

I have tried to moderate many times. I do well for a week or two, and then end up super-drunk and sick the next day. It's a recurring pattern. The desire to moderate is part of the obsession.

I thank you for this thread, because I struggle with whether or not I am a "real" alcoholic and this thread has forced me to really think about it and to see my true nature by means of what has been posted here.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I thought the same thing at 16, and 22 years rolled by of utter tradgedy...but in my circumstance thats what happened, I kept trying to beat it. It just got worse.
Anyway you slice it , alcohol is no good for no one...nothing good EVER comes out of being loaded.

No one can tell you what you 'are', thats your choice. Dont let anyone tell you differently.

Next time you got a bottle of Vodka in front of your face , take a good hard look at it. Then ask yourself if you would rather be doing something else. If that bothers you then pour it down the sink. If you can. Then you will get a better understanding of where your at.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Originally Posted by Curse View Post
Usually, if Im asking myself any kind of question about myself, it means I need to take the time to think about 'why' Im asking it. Usually it means, for me, that I need to change something.
JJ