Notices

Off topic

Old 10-03-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off topic

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
:ghug3Philly cheesesteak for me please....with mushrooms and peppers!

Good Lord! As if i needed any more reason to hijack LBW's thread and steer it way way off topic.

Philly's cheesesteaks are wonderful, IMO, and i've heard folks speak well of them as far off as Stockholm.

It's happened where we've brought someone down to Pat's Steaks of South Philly and they've ordered a SECOND steak sandwich. Not because the sandwiches are small -- rather the thinly sliced rib eye is such a tasty treat that they take the opportunity to gorge on it.

I recall coming back from a european country. I went directly from the Philly airport to Pat's for a steak sandwich. Home sweet home.

Big upset at my sister's house. My nephew was very unhappy as to why my sister refused to make him a steak sandwich.

"[Tacks]" she said to me, "should i tell him that uncle XXXX told me that i was not allowed to make them anymore!?!"

As much as we enjoy our steak sandwiches i detest the company which exploits our city's tradition.

"Steak-ums" brand sandwich 'steaks' (if you even wanna call them that) are absolute garbage. And they're overpriced! They're marketed towards Philly's suburbanites who don't know any better. And my nephew will not have them again as long as i have any say in the matter. I'm reluctant to give them to the dog.

The "Landis" company makes wonderful frozen sandwich steaks -- i'm pretty sure that it's sirloin. But they are certianly sliced from a cut of beef. Non of this 'pressed' crap. Landis might not be quite as perfect as the rib eye used at Pat's but they are several miles above "steak ums." Same price as steak ums.

Italian markets will often sell a "chip steak" They're good cuts of beef equal to Landis.

Wilson's Meats makes also makes a product better than "Steak ums."

Korean markets sell sliced rib eye, "Bulgogi," better than steak ums but a bit too thick for sandwiches.

I understand that Pat's uses rib eye from Argentinian cattle. And if i ever find this being sold i'll come back and post.

Originally Posted by EmptySoul View Post
I will take one of those ... but hold the steak.
Chicken steak? I can't recommend a place myself but i understand that they do exist.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wait, let me call Heavyn down here, she is the conissaur for who was better....(i went to UPenn about 35 years ago and lived off of them too, but never reasearched them as you have Tacks).

there is a small little place down around where i live now called "Angel's" where they do a nice rib-eye cheese steak, the line goes out the door at lunch time. thye also do a chicken sliced steak with melted provalone.

i agree you gotta use rib-eye!....

BTW, Food Network is doing some kind of show (with Michael Symon) where he visits south philly to compare cheese steaks...sorry i can't remember the name, but they advertised it a lot yesterday....he was wearing a Pats t-shirt.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Anyone notice we have an on going thread in Cafe
"What's For Dinner?"

This afternoon is football watching time for me....
I'll have my ritual Ice Tea and :
during the Falcons game at 1.

Followed by Chili for the Skins-Philly match up.
:

Just a bit more OT sharing....
Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess your steak sandwiches are like our bagels...just because toucan get them anywhere does not make them the real thing...once you have an H&H bagel nothing else compares.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mr. Fandy used to bring home H&H every week....
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Followed by Chili for the Skins-Philly match up. :
Wow. I was just thinking about raiding my brother's fridge for some home made chilli.

But as he's now caring for two toddlers i can't feel right about mooching -- not like the old days.

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Just a bit more OT sharing....
cool.

Enjoy your afternoon, Carol.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the Hormel chili in the JAR is not bad...it is not like the greasy canned stuff...it iwll do in a pinch if you can't whip up a batch.

thanks for renewing my appetite.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like Genos better. Go Phils!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, Tacks, you opened a can of sandwiches here now. There is a little place that delivers down the street from me. Their Philly Steak and Cheese is off the hook. Thin sliced real steak (phew to Steak Ums) some grilled peppers and onions and cherry tomatoes, 3 kinds of cheese and nice, fresh French bread. They also have a killer Meatball and Sausage sub. Darn, now I'm hungry.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am now taking a strip steak out of the freezer for tonight and buying all the fixings to make a steak sandwich for dinner.

i do love the Pillsbury loaf bread i can bake up in 20 mins. too.

thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For Tacks:

October 10 10PM our time...Food Network "food fuedes" ..Pats vs Ginos