Notices

Music and drinking memories...

Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music and drinking memories...

Hi everyone... Just wondering if this happens to any of you... Today while I was driving a few songs came on the radio..ones I partied to many times..brought back so many memories....and just a little craving for a drink...I changed channels and put on some mellow stuff just to keep the cravings at bay...I think it was just one of those days....but has it happened to you???

Love and Light
xo
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yeah I have had that feeling before, but not so much with drinking. Whenever I would hear Pink Floyd I would think about tripping or listening to club music would make me want to do some X. WIth drinking I didn't need any particular music or environment, I just drank all the time....
Old 09-23-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I used to go in a bar (mostly dives), I'd put "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, "30 Days in the Hole" by Humble Pie, and "Midnight Rider" by The Allman Brothers Band to play on the jukebox.

Then, I'd go to the bar order a drink, light up a smoke, and get change for the pool tables. By the time "Fortunate Son" was on the second chorus, I'd usually have the pool balls thundering down. By the time the song ended, I'd be breaking.

I didn't listen to "Fortunate Son" for a long time after I quit drinking because it was the quintessential bar song for me. One night, we were watching TV, and there it was. "Fortunate Son." I froze up for a second. However, by the second line, I felt that same surge of energy I used to get when that song blared in a bar.

You never know. With a little time, you might start to enjoy those songs again. Good for you for recognizing a potential trigger.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there

It took me a while before I could listen to certain bands again....not just because I used to listen to them drunk all the time, but because Ive realised how depressing a lot of their music is! In short, my taste has changed, but theres nothing I 'cant' listen to anymore
Old 09-23-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I once bought my ex a CD of the album (Johnny Winter "Still Alive and Well") he used to play CONSTANTLY in college during our binges. He made me return it (I think I bought him a Clapton CD instead).

There are only a couple of albums I associated really strongly with drinking--when I hear them it still brings back a moment or two, but it doesn't really bother me. I just observe the thought and let it pass.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did most of my drinking in bars...cocktail lounges and Jazz Clubs.
Sure music was always involved with my drinking.
I did have plenty of good times before alcoholism crept in.

Hmm... it took me about a year before I could listen to my
collection of Jazz without romanceing those days.

During that first year....I stopped going to drinking places.
I found they made me too antsy ...even if I drank Cokes.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bob Marley

All good times with a deceased friend, day sailing around Long Island Sound, not a care in the world. I was a happy and simple drunk back then instead of having crossed the alcoholic line.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes it is normal I believe to remember by song. I am happy you realized and didnt go back out. I thank you for sharing.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This happens to me almost on a daily basis. I'm a giant music fan, always have been and drinking and music always went together in my case. Most of the time for me all's good, sometimes it brings the pain. In my case, I think my success in sobriety is somewhat due to this, it always keeps the past fresh in my mind. I let the pain in and feel what I have to feel and then usually move on to better feelings. It does suck not to be able to go out concerts, but because I always got rocked at them and don't really trust myself in that position, even after 4+ years. You know what doesn't suck though.....being a healthy, honest, integrity filled husband, father, son, human. Thanks for starting this thread legs, it's a topic close to my heart.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, music and the music scene and drinking and drugs were an integral part of my life and identity. I lived by the attitude of my hero's and the attitude I aspired to was one of rebellion and well, just sticking two fingers up and getting absolutely mashed, whilst taking the session on until sunrise and beyond, all the while living their music and lyrics.

It took me a long, long time until I could truly discover the passion for music again. I got it back fully probably around a year sober. Before then it was a gradual thing but certain bands I wouldn't listen to. Now I listen to all my favourite stuff, bar the 'chemical' music which I would only listen to when doing E's and ketamine and other stuff.

Drinking and music went together so well for me. I could celebrate and rock out or I could wallow and self-pity with music. My favourite musicians/bands also knew how to do that too, that's why I loved them so much.

I relate to the music and lyrics in a new way now, in recovery. It's great and I listen to my music from waking until going to bed again. It's a gradual process and one that can't be rushed.

Music, drinking and drugging and everything that goes with it was my life, what I lived for. So many memories and emotions that are so powerful. I had the best moments of my life tripping and drinking with my best mate for days on end and also alone just rocking out to my favourite tunes whilst in a drunken oblivion. Out and about at music concerts and with mates getting totally blasted just dancing to music. Music, fashion, drinking, drugs, lifestyle, attitude... it's all so closely connected.

I must say though that it's possible to discover that passion again and to be able to lose yourself in the music again and the connection I now feel is deeper in certain ways. Different of course but that's OK as I'm an alcoholic and addict.

Grateful to be sober.

All The Best, Peace
Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hearing a song...

Hearing a song on the radio or from my CD collection hasn't made me want to drink, or brought up drinking memories...yet. But I love going to live shows and drinking has always been part of the concert experience for me. Haven't been out to see a band in over a month and wonder if I ever will again.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

dgc,

I always LOVED getting wasted at concerts, but I have been to two Green Day concerts since I've been sober, and had a blast. You can still jump around and scream and dance in your seat. (LOL, I don't go with my kids--they would die of embarrassment.)

It helps to go with sober friends, though.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can relate to music and drinking. In the beginning of my drinking career I played in a band at various venues and clubs. Nothing but free drinks from the owners and strangers buying you drinks when you go offstage and take breaks. It's a wonder I survived, but the money was good. And no, the money wasn't worth it. Two years of playing and being in that scene did nothing but add fuel to the fire. I sold all my instruments to get more $ to drink and quit playing. Maybe someday I'll play again, but never in clubs, just on my back porch with ice tea in hand.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess I'm "lucky"...I was such a blackout drunk that I remember very little especially not the music. I used to love going to clubs and dancing and I remember the dancing but have no idea what I was dancing (or falling down) to.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been a huge music lover all my life, dated guys in bands, went to concerts even just sitting in my office with the music cranked drinking away.... the music just seemed to be such a friend such a release...and I still find it that way yesterday though it triggered something in me...and the thought of having that drink seemed so easy..I'm glad I didn't....thanks for sharing your stories.....love you guys!!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This comes up occasionally... And I am glad it does... Music is HUGE in my life... always has been... and yea, booze and dry goods often were involved in concerts, clubs, etc.. but now, it's all sober and it's all good... Does music trigger me? Not anymore
Old 09-24-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Certain types of music bring back a bit of those compulsions.....sometimes. For the first year or so I just quit listening to some of the stuff I partied to. It bothered me that every time I'd listen to house or techno I'd want to go do drugs....didn't really do it THAT often - certainly not like drinking, that's for sure. But, like I said, I just had to quit listening to it. Now, it still hits me once and a while but it's a passing thought - 5...maybe 10 seconds and it passes.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i've all but stopped listening to music. I've got PTSD and sometimes when i hear certain songs, i get thrown into a terrible funk....and anything dangerious to my sobriety...even fleeting thoughts during a nostalgic song has no place in my head.

i DO like to listen to Adam Sandler's early comedic CD's. his standup was and is awsome. sometimes i'll laugh so hard mountain dew will come out of my nose. HA!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I tend to associate music with video games I was playing at the time I was listening to them. Most likely because of blackout, but I've never really associated music with drinking.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Yes, for me too music and drinking went together, and for some time I couldn't listen to some songs. That has changed though. Both listenig to music and playing has become a way to cope with things. Quite recently I've gotten my hands on an e-guitar and have started playing music again, something I didn't do for years- it has become an important way express and transform my emotions into something that's meaningfulto me. So I can wholeheartedly say that music has played an even more important role in my recovery.