Notices

Getting ready to say goodbye.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say also that this forum has been a God send, being able to unload and have all of you there to help me see how not alone I really am.... Thank you all.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

((Gofish)) - I'm so glad she's doing better. Please continue to take care of YOU, too, okay?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Gofish,

I'm so glad there is a ray of hope. I second everything DayTrader said. One of the most difficult things I ever did was to walk out on my second husband when he went back to drinking after almost dying of the disease. So far as I know, he is still alive, eleven years later, and still drinking. It's very hard.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Part of you must look back and realize you could be right there with her had you not stopped drinking. Probably doesn't make you feel any better, but I bet it makes your kids feel better!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

How are things going Gofish?
JJ
Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justjo View Post
How are things going Gofish?
JJ
My wife is still at her Mom's, she had an assesment for a long term treatment program and is on a waiting list now. The kids don't want contact and I have stepped right back as well, she continues to drink! I am doing my best to help her Mother but I can not deal with the lies so I'm not speaking to her. I know she is lonely, scared and in pain but I cannot step in, I refuse to be a jailer. I'm lonely too. But I'm sober! Two years today as a matter of fact
Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Gofish,

Congratulations on your two years. How wonderful for your kids that they have a parent they can count on in this difficult time.

Prayers continuing for all of you.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
part time member

Congratulations on the two years. Your children need you even if they are grown. Hopefully your mother in law can handle your wife. Just saying....she still is your wife. MO
Old 09-18-2010, 01:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers continue for you and your family....

Well done on your 2 years.....2
Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Well done on 2 years! Keep us posted about your wife. I'm sad to hear she's still drinking.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well done on your two years, gofish. I know this is a nightmarish time. Go easy on yourself when possible, though. You know by now that the only person whose behavior you can control is your own. Do the best you can and let your higher power (if you have one) take care of the rest.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Gofish, this is the first time I had seen this thread, first I want to congratulate you for your 2 years, one day at a time. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Praying that maybe God can find a way to your wife.

The one thing I know for sure is, the only one I can save is myself.

Take care and God be with you.

Harry
Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

(((GoFish))) - Congratulations on 2 years!!! I'm also very glad that you have stepped back from the situation. It's hard to do, but it keeps us from being dragged down with them.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Update.

I just spoke with my Mother in law and she took my wife to a womans shelter downtown. My wife has been very verbally abusive to my mother in law and her neice the last few weeks, she has not stopped drinking either. At the shelter they realized that she was drunk so they tried to get her a bed at a detox and while she was waiting she continued to drink, they tried to take away the alcohol and my wife became physically abusive so the police and ambulance have been called. My mother in law is heart broken, we both realize that the next step is the streets but we are powerless to help. What a mess.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Gofish, I'm sending a virtual hug to you because I know you need it. I don't have any wise words or anything that will automatically make you feel better. I just want to offer you my support.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If they can get her into the local crisis unit, they might be able to get her into a detox from there.

So sorry you are all going through this--including her. She isn't in her right mind right now.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
If they can get her into the local crisis unit, they might be able to get her into a detox from there.

So sorry you are all going through this--including her. She isn't in her right mind right now.
I know Lexie, thats what really sucks, the real her is so wonderful. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So how much do I put in?

O.K.
My wife has been sober since being taken to the shelter by her Mom 3 days ago. She was charged by the police with various drinking in public charges and taken to the hospital and found her way back to her Mom's that night. Now she wants answers, "when I finish rehab can I come home, if not I want a divorce and alimoney." My answer was lets get you into treatment first before we deal with the after part! I got hung up on.
Treatment was supposed to be a year in a sober living community, my Mother in law said that my wife was refused! I was told last week she was on a waiting list??
O.K.
Treatment is now going to be a 28 day residential program and then? This will be her 4th time in this type of program, she bailed once. She has also taken part in out patient programs, 3 ,4 5 ?? times. I can not make a commitment to live together when she hasn't done anything except stop drinking! I realize that she is in the pattern for day 3, remorse is over and now the manic solveing of all the problems has begun.
Groundhog day was a very funny movie but it makes for a horrible life!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sorry, gofish,

It DOES suck, but you know the drill. Unfortunately, you know it all too well.

She has to cooperate in the process, unless she can be committed. Have you looked into that as a possible option? I don't know how difficult it might be. Might be worth getting some legal advice.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Gofish, no advice. I am, however, sending you special dawg vibes to help you get through this situation in one piece and sober.