Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

My life is falling apart... a 2 week bender has come to an end..

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My marriage is suffering... my health.. my brain. My career.. This is my bottom... I just woke up, looked in the mirror and saw a monster looking back.. The only thing I haven't tried yet is the 12 step program. I'm done with step one... Time to finish the other 11..

I feel so terrible right now... Here comes the detox.. I'm familiar with it, I just hope I can remember how bad I feel right now and never go back.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You can do it!!

Do whatever is necessary and remember we are here to support you. You don't have to go through this alone! Wishing you the very best! ((((HUGS))))
Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe a trip to the doc is in order so he/she can help you get through the first few horrible days ?
Things WILL get better after that.
And the memory had bad it was was fades pretty fast.
Wish you good luck !
Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both... I've done the detox thing, I will call my doctor he'll probably suggest the same treatment as the last 6 times. I still have the meds from before.. I think he's as tired of my addiction as much as my wife. But this time I'm emotionally destroyed.. I'll be hanging out on here until I HAVE to goto work.. Then a meeting after that..
Old 08-18-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've looked at that same monster Ready. A few weeks before I quit, I looked at myself one night after a boatload of wine and thought - why in the world am I doing this too myself? Is this really what my life is about? I didn't recognize that person anymore and it scared me.

It sounds like you have a lot of blessings in your life. You can do this.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try heading to a bookstore/library as well.....arm yourself with knowledge!

Good luck
Old 08-18-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

When you go to your meeting today, pick up a Big Book. Or you can read it online, here.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'mready -- I had horrible withdrawal symptoms. I wish now I had journaled it so I could go back and read the horror of it when I'm thinking of drinking. Journaling your withdrawal symptoms would definitely keep you busy. Also, getting a Big Book and reading it will keep you busy.

Other than that, you can do this.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ready.....

I've heard this said many times in our AA rooms....
:We are the last house on the block"

Come on in...you have earned your chair!

All my best to you and your family
Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

He will presently try the old game again, for he isn't happy about his sobriety. He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine wife either with alcohol or without it. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end.
...(sic)
Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.

..... I could never say it anywhere near as well as Bill wrote on page 152.
Godspeed to you IRTQ!

lol - my entrance to AA was no more "glamorous" than yours. I know it's not funny now but someday, you'll look back at those posts and get a chuckle out of them.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's right. Get yourself back up on the horse and try again. Remember the pain and look towards a new, brighter future with you, your wife, and your career.

This is a great place for support. We're all in this together.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ready, you can do this & you & your family all deserve for it to be the last time you do this. Do whatever you have to do to get through it. You obviously have a map of that landscape already so just get through it & don't go back. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

When we are ready, we are ready. This is your time. I hope this is your bottom. You have a lot of great life ahead of you, but you need to have the honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness to do whatever it takes.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back IRTQ

Make this time your time
D
Old 08-18-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grouch and Brainstorm

Painful as it is, the memory of your agony now will not be accessible to you at some point down the road, when you are feeling better. As we get physically restored the promises and vows we've made-- the bold pronouncements-- begin to look...ambitious. We wonder if we've over-reacted.

This is not moral weakness. It's the disease of alcoholism.

The solution is the steps, which clear a path for us to a power that relieves us of our insanity.

I don't know why or how it works. But I am here to tell you that when I did the steps precisely as outlined in the Big Book with a sponsor, I got better.

How free do you want to be?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Readytoquit :ghug3
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

pm me sometime. After achieving sobriety in June I slipped and I'm just crawling back now. I was following your posts for a little while & I think we have more than a bit in common. Let's not try and do this alone
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i kept a journal when i was detoxing and i do read it when i'm feeling like i'm getting complacent in my program. i just cannot afford to ever go back.

I always say the next drink i take will be the first one of the last bender i ever have.

i firmly believe that if i ever drink again, i won't be able to make it back. it hurt too much and took an incredible toll on my body. i had hallucinations, violent shaking, stroke level blood pressure and multiple seizures just to name a few.

do this for yourself and if you can't for that reason do it for your wife and family...don't wait another day to get your life back.

Good luck and i'll be praying for you.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody.. I had my last drink about 36 hours ago.. Doing fine other than some stomach problems.. I feel a lot better.. But I have to focus on recovery EVERYDAY for the rest of my life if I'm going to live. I somehow always seem to lose focus around 1-2 months in..
Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
But I have to focus on recovery EVERYDAY for the rest of my life if I'm going to live.
Same for me. my addiction treatments are ongoing on a daily basis for the rest of my life.