Notices

Avoid hangover

Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Convorsation I'm having w/ my friend. I changed my screen name and hers but yeah...

StupidFriend
claddaghhhh tonight?
SomeoneSomewhere
dude no way. im seriously like significantly cutting back on my alcohol intake.
StupidFriend
thats a lie
lol
SomeoneSomewhere
when go through two fifths of vodka in three days it puts a lot of into perspective. and my mom mentioned that my room reeks of alcohol and ive felt like complete all day so i'm seriously gonna try* before i like kill myself
StupidFriend
lol ok
but ughh i wanna go so bad
u shoulda skipped last nightt
SomeoneSomewhere
dont you have anyone else to go with?
StupidFriend
caroline said if we go she would..it would be fun if it was 3 of us thooo
just go and dont drink too much
this is like the last time we could before summer
SomeoneSomewhere
it doesn't really work like that. like once i start drinking im going to drink too much. its bad.
StupidFriend
oh
StupidFriend
wish u could come too thooo =[
SomeoneSomewhere
(4:39:05 PM): i really cant. like this actually a pretty serious thing. like i know we all joke about it but like i am legit probably an alcoholic and i really really need to get it under control before it like * up my entire life. not saying i'll like never go to a bar again but until im like in a better place im really gonna try not to drink
StupidFriend
(4:39:32 PM): but do u have alcohol in ur room
SomeoneSomewhere
(4:39:47 PM): nope drank the fifth i had last night because im a dumb ass
StupidFriend
(4:40:31 PM): u shouldnt of drank last nighttt ahhh cuz then u coulda gone out tonighttt
StupidFriend
(4:44:33 PM): what if u like only bring a little money..that would limit how much u drink
SomeoneSomewhere
(4:46:56 PM): im not gonna drink at all tonight i have a huge thing tomorow at 10 and a group project to finish tonight.

Um seriously...this girl is really pissing me off right now. It's like I'm telling you I'm an alcoholic and I drank a fifth of vodka last night...what do you NOT UNDERSTAND about the fact that a person one day one of getting sober going to a bar is freking stupid. It has nothing to do with the fact that I drank last night it has to do with the fact that I can't control myself around alcohol. People can be really stupid sometimes.

But I am proud of myself for not jumping at the opportunity to go =). And also I told my Mom I have been drinking a lot alone and she wasn't judgmental really. She told me she knew and that I needed to stop and I told her about the treatment thing so...that's good as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Wow. I've been sober for about 130 days and your post just made me sit up in my chair.

I feel sorry for you b/c I remember clearly what that was like. I can't tell you how many nights, before passing out, I'd start to freak out b/c it's oh i dunno 2:00am and I've got to be at work by 8ish and I know I'm going to be a wreck the next day. The fear and anxiety and confusion and insanity. ...and all of that and I'd do it again, over and over and over.

Just reading your post gives me shivers. Thank you for sharing and I hope you're able to get help. Remember, you never have to drink again and you are the only one responsible for that.

Take care and good luck.
I agree with this, I'm almost six months sober and it gives me chills thinking about being at work in a few hours knowing I pounded that much vodka the night before
Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people just don't get it SS - and really? they don't have to, as unfair as that may sometime seem.

It's down to us.
It's really hard, all this changing our lives - but it is worth it

And..look at the alternative?
D
Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I am really proud that you stood your ground with that friend. AND that you went and told you mom about the drinking in secret and the treatment program. You're taking steps in the right direction! Stay strong. It'll be so worth it when you're sober, when you're always clear headed and able to accomplish things without so much worry and stress, you'll just jump in there and handle it.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

OK, Someone, that's a good update, the talking with the Drinking Friend and your mother. I don't know what your condition is like now....

When it comes to the friend, if you tell them to blank off outright, that might create more commotion and hassle to deal with than if you said, Look, just get back with in X amount of time, I don't have the time to mess around, let me get through this project, and all that. Somehow you need to get the drinking-related people and things out of the picture.

Then you go forward with your other plans. If you give into the risky drinking ideas again, the other posters just might be right about what the consequences could be physically and then there won't be any grades to work on. So instead of mucking things up, you can hang on until it is time for the Get on Your Feet project you are signed up for in a couple of weeks. People who drink/drank like us have experience in being our own worst enemy; don't be a worse friend to yourself than anybody else is or has been doing, knowingly or not, by repeating this cycle. It's not worth it.

If the Abe poster is reading again, it occurred to me when I came back to this that maybe the intention was to look at one of those pre-drink things as a way to soothe symptoms. But I don't know. Either way, not worth going down that "over the counter" road, this ought to be about cutting out the drinking.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, SS. Lots of people are like that...especially the ones who are used to you drinking with them.

It's how they know how to have fun and they want you to come. They don't understand because they either aren't alcoholics or have no idea that they (as in certain individuals) might have a problem.

I've declined partying with people several times quite recently and told them why...and it took a long time for them to 'get it'. It's just not the way they think.

See if you can get your friends to do some sober activities.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I would urge you not to make your alcoholism any part of your mother's responsibility. Support, yes.. but not to be 'on your ass', that's your own job.
Hi, uhm, I know I’m a little late but I just wanted to reply to this. Whenever my drinking got really bad in the past, there was always someone there to stop me. It was like a cycle: start drinking, get in trouble, forced to stop, stop for a while, start drinking, etc. Now I’m older and there’s no one that can stop it for me. No one left to clean up the mess I made. I relied on outside forces for so long that now, when things are bad again, I have no idea what to do for myself. So I definitely agree with what you said. All I learned is how to rely on other people and not how to fix myself. Ultimately, having someone there to rescue me time and time again certainly didn't help my situation at all; in fact it made it worse. So, to me I think that it is not only our own responsibility, but something that is vital to learn in order to recover. At least, that’s how I see it. Hopefully that makes sense?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Slamming Vodka

Yes I know that feeling as well i went through that today... Trembling in the morning barely could walk, terrible shakes when trying to drink water... I'm still going through the phases BUT I THINK Vodka is the most dangerous drug out there.... Worse that any other alcoholic beverage there is.... It goes down easy doesnt leave a bad taste and when you dont know when to stop! It could be very deadly!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Liquor....Beer or Wine

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.

They all do the same damage...to all drinkers
not only alcoholics.
I ended my drinking career drinking anything
cheap....available and that got me drunk.....
Old 05-06-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not trying to scare you but drinking that quantity you got good odds of ending up a statistic pretty soon...
Good grief!! You ARE blessed to still be alive and functioning. Just tell your friend you're too busy learning to live sober and don't have time for bars or parties.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You did great Someone! Sounds like your "friend" wasn't even listening to a word you said, just thinking about her own plans. Thing is, you have people here who know EXACTLY what you're saying and we'll support you every inch of the way. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well 100 percent sober at 1 AM and not passed out.

I have not been able to say that in MONTHS. I didn't drink at all today. I know it's just a day but it just feels nice to know I'll wake up tomorrow knowing I didn't do anything stupid.

I cannot sleep. At all. It's not so bad though. I have a lot of work to do though that's not what I'm doing. But at least I'm sober. I keep having hot flashes and randomly breaking out into cold sweats, it's strange I'm in and out of being hot/cold almost like I have a fever but I don't. x_x

And yes vodka IS dangerous. I can drink it like it's water. I don't even bother pouring it in a glass most of the time. I even got to the point where I was putting it in water bottles so I could drink without others knowing. Such a dangerous drink.

Gonna try to keep this up, hoping I can make it through the weekend. I have work on Saturday night (I work at a liq our store, 10 bucks an hour is hard to give up) but hopefully I'll be alright.

I am so glad I have people here and have met some awesome people in meetings because having that support from people who really understand and who have been where I am and turned their lives around is a great help.

I don't think I'd be alive much longer without that. Honestly if I had not joined this board I never would have gone to my fist meeting and I never would have realized that this really is a problem and God knows where I'd have ended up. I have a hell of a road ahead of me but knowing that feels like a huge step in the right direction so thanks to everyone on here
Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

SS... yep Vodka can be a bad thing can't it. That was mt "drug of choice" for the past 15 yrs. A fifth-fifth&half was nothing to me when I was in the throws of addiction.

I gotta say though and I don't mean to come across like a jerk but......

So yesterday was cinco de mayo and that OBVIOUSLY means you're supposed to drink a fifth of vodka by yourself in two hours.
Okay.....so.....And????? it was cinco de mayo...so did someone put a gun to your head and tell you to drink? No....so there's your first step right there. Think for yourself. Don't let the "day" or some "person" make you drink. If you don't want to drink then start right, it was just a Tuesday, Tuesday can be spent sober just like any other day. Not tryin to be a know'it all....but just think about it is all I'm sayin'

Steve
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The best hangover cure I have found is to not to drink alcohol ;-) With the support of this forum along with AA and working a program I am happy to say I am sober & recovering from years of abuse of this poison (spiritually, mentally & physically).

You seem like a really nice person who has a problem with alcohol, please seek some serious help and stay close to your friends here at SR.

All of the best in your recovery

Take Care,

NB
Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Opps... SR seems to be really slow when submitting a post tonight so I double posted. Sorry, please remove the double post & this post mods.

Oh & I meant to say "The best hangover cure I have found is not to drink alcohol ;-)"
Old 05-07-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

SS, hope you're doing well today and have gotten a little rest. go for some fruit juice and some B-vitamins, i drank a lot of herbal caff. free teas....you will be ahead of the game when you start your treatment next week.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I used to pour vodka into water bottles as well and it was my drink of choice. I was under the impression that no one in my house knew what I was doing. Like you said your mom already knew about the mass drinking and you had some anxiety about telling her anyways.
So far I can very much relate to everything that you have posted in here. I can't imagine working at a liguar store though. That would be like tiger woods working at a strip club, just an all around bad combo. I didn't sleep well for the first week or two after not drinking. Eventually you will though. Hope your feeling better today!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks to all once again =)

I am feeling a bit better today. I didn't sleep much last night and all my dreams were about drinking, not really that surprised. I was mad at myself for doing it in my dreams though!

Gotta go though but will update later thanks again to everyone
Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

((SS)) - I just want to say that I admire you for seeking help at such a young age. A lot of people don't. My niece is only 16 and I fear she is heading in your direction...she likes vodka, too. Its a long story, but unfortunately there is no way to force her into any type of treatment. I do my best to share my ES&H, but so far, she just isn't hearing me.

I hope you have a good day...it's got to be better than yesterday, right?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-07-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I stupidly caved and drank today. I was going to go to a meeting but the one I go to normally is a men's meeting on Friday nights. I didn't get drunk but I did buy a pint of Caldwells. Haven't drank more than a sip of it yet but this is a very very bad step in the wrong direction. But I also just got this letter from my Mom.
She does not write English very well so I roughly translated it from Spanish to English but here it is... she's gone with my sister to visit my aunt for the weekend but I'm sure she will want to talk when she is back

I am sending you this in a letter because I know that this is a difficult conversation to have. And I know you will be angry and you will try to defend your actions. I feel if I send it in a letter you will have time to think about it before you talk to me. I do not want you to think I am angry because I am concerned. (My brothers name) dying was very difficult on everyone but it was worst for you because you were so close. I know we do not talk about him but you know I am here and so is (Step Dad's name) if you need to talk. We love you and so does (Sisters name). I do not know how much you drink but I do know you have been drinking alone. Alcohol smells I can smell it in your room when I get the baby. And some morning you wake up and you are sweating alcohol. Just a few weeks ago you were in the hospital on the night of a party. You said it was not because you drank too much that you got hurt but I think you did. And I do think you need to stop drinking alone. It is a dangerous road. Just know we love you and just want what is best for you.

So I guess they do know. The thing about alcoholics are is we can lie. I lie so freking well. I really do and I feel terrible about it but at the same time it's like...I'm doing it to protect them. The night I broke my wrist and went to the hospital I blew a .24 or something ridiculous. I told my Mom I may have gotten a little carried away at the party but that the reason I fell wasn't because I was drinking. When the truth is that I don't remember how I feel, how I got to the hospital that night or how I got home...it was after that night that I made my first post here...

I really thought my Mom had no idea. Really though I hid this better than I do. I guess her knowing is good. I just feel bad because she has a 7 month old to worry about and a son who died. She doesn't need the extra stress. * sigh *

I actually talked to the woman at the program I'm supposed to go to. Turn on my medicaid actually DOES cover it because they accept Masshealth there! So that's good. I can't do this without help, I am so lucky to have people on my side,