Notices

Avoid hangover

Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Avoid hangover

So yesterday was cinco de mayo and that OBVIOUSLY means you're supposed to drink a fifth of vodka by yourself in two hours.

I am a freakin idiot. But whatever that's not the point of this post I just want people to know I realize how stupid I am...and I am also still probably a little drunk so...

I can feel a hang over coming on and that CANNOT happen. I just chugged a bottle of water but I have a presentation at 9:30 and another HUGE like 50 percent of my grade presentation at 2:00....so no TIME for a hang over. I don't normally get them bit I am pretty sure that it's going to happen today and when I do get them they are bad... anything I can do to prevent it or make it less harsh after I already drank?

Normally I try to drink water before I pass out but I was GONE last night so I didn't do...and this post is probably a little ridiculous but I still have that post drunk I'll say anything feeling you get when you wake up after a night of heavy drinking.

I really just cant believe I was stupid enough to drink a fifth of vodka that quickly. I weigh like just barely over 100 pounds (wicked short though) so that was probably the stupidest thing I have ever done. It has the most I have ever drank when I was alone
Old 05-06-2010, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A clinical study from 2004 suggests that drinking prickly pear fruit extract several hours prior to drinking will reduce the symptoms of a hangover.Try one of the many anti-hangover remedies found at convenience store registers and drug stores. I have heard good and bad things about these but have never tried them personally, but it is an option.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The only thing that ever helped me was a hair of the dog.
But it was never just one hair.
l don't recommend that.
Good luck !
Old 05-06-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
The only thing that ever helped me was a hair of the dog.
But it was never just one hair.
l don't recommend that.
Good luck !
lol was going to say that:-)
Old 05-06-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. It has reminded me how lucky I am, on day 3, to wake up without that horrible feeling. I've been there often, having to go into work and perform while only half my brain cells are buzzing and my stomach wants to rise into my mouth. I used to take panadol for the brain pain. I guess plenty of water cannot hurt.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Someone,

Try taking some vitamin B 12. I use a vitamin drink called EmergenC with B 12.

You don't have to do this again. That was big news for me at one time. I have over two years and six months sober now. You can get there too.

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-06-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I could have told you earlier yesterday how to avoid a hangover.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Abe, I don't know why you're bothering to give her hangover prevention advice, but you probably don't realize that Someone has been talking about trying to quit?

Someone, have you gone back to your old posts? Maybe you can give some thought to doing that later on. There could be some helpful information in there.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ahhh...Cinco de Mayo...I wrote a post about it yesterday. I'd recommend getting a gallon of Gatorade down you and some protein. Then remember why you want to quit drinking.

A fifth in two hours at 100 pounds??? You're lucky your're not in the hospital.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Some posted that hours ago.

I too think she's lucky she is not hospitalized or dead.

Some....I certainly hope this will be your time to
move forward and quit drinking poison.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It was probably more than a couple hours. I remember starting to drink after dinner around 7:30 or so...but I don't remember finishing it. I didn't even know I did so until I woke up. I don't know what time I passed out.

Feeling miserable right now. No wonder. Drinking TONS of water. I had another bottle of vodka here at school. Dumped it out. And I will NOT buy anymore today. I am not drinking. I go into treatment in a week and I will find some way to stay sober until then.

This is been getting progressively worse and I cannot in any way deny how serious it's become
Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

postpone your presentation. say you are ill. it might save your grade. If you get up in front of a group of people this morning, do you actually think you can hide your condition or even more important, do a good job and pass?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

I hope that you make it long enough to get into treatment..
Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really think I am going to tell my Mom. I need someone on my ass about this. I need someone overbearing. It's just... I don't want to disappoint her. She's really proud of me for doing so well in school and overcoming lots of crap in my life but... this... well IDK.

I guess her knowing is better than being dead though. I think for the next week I am going to give my ID/money to a friend. I'll tell her not to let me have any money unless I can give her a legit reason for why I need it...because I can't trust myself to not to drink.

I just have to force myself not to buy is because not having the option to have it will be a key factor in not drinking, since I can't control myself enough not to get drunk every time I decide to "just have a few"

I don't know...I don't have a choice about waiting for treatment. I just have to finish out these last few days of the semester and then they're starting me in the program a week from Monday.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ah grade presentation, i thought you meant work grade and were fifty years old...thats a hell of a tolerance to have for a young lady...yeah you'd better get honest with Mum...

Can you get to an AA meeting in the near future, you will get tonnes of help there...i believe that womens meetings are more available in the US?

Not trying to scare you but drinking that quantity you got good odds of ending up a statistic pretty soon...needs some action now...
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Heathen

I would urge you not to make your alcoholism any part of your mother's responsibility. Support, yes.. but not to be 'on your ass', that's your own job.

I also urge you not to rope your friend(s) into this either by making them responsible for your ID/money, that's quite a burden for someone unqualified to assist an alcoholic.

Maybe go see a doctor if you need help detoxing (with the amount you're drinking, it could be fatal if you get no assistance medically). Call the ER if you need to, and detox under supervision.

Just my .02
Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

once you begin your treatment program, isn't your family going to wonder where you are?
or is it outpatient?

Alcohol poisoning is a real possibility with the amount you are drinking at your weight....then you won't get another chance....you can read about it in any newspaper and it is usually a college function.

we're not allowed to give medical advice, but I think your best option at this point is immediate medical attention, not asking a friend to hold your wallet/ID.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Wow. I've been sober for about 130 days and your post just made me sit up in my chair.

I feel sorry for you b/c I remember clearly what that was like. I can't tell you how many nights, before passing out, I'd start to freak out b/c it's oh i dunno 2:00am and I've got to be at work by 8ish and I know I'm going to be a wreck the next day. The fear and anxiety and confusion and insanity. ...and all of that and I'd do it again, over and over and over.

Just reading your post gives me shivers. Thank you for sharing and I hope you're able to get help. Remember, you never have to drink again and you are the only one responsible for that.

Take care and good luck.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Someone - if this happened to your friend and you were giving them advice, what would you say? I think for me, I'd tell them to get into INpatient treatment immediately. You said it yourself:
...because I can't trust myself to not to drink.
Believe me, it is such a relief to tell someone who cares about you, and usually they will help make calls/set the ball in motion because they care about you. You've lost control - just like all of us have - and it's OK to say so. Admitting our problem is the beginning of getting better.

I'm praying for you, cuz last night could have been a serious or deadly emergency situation.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I really think I am going to tell my Mom. I need someone on my ass about this.
My reply to the first sentence is that she probably already knows how much you drink. We always think they don't know, but most of the time they have known for years. Opening up to her and sharing with her about your condition is an excellent idea.

I would have to agree with smacked that you don't want to turn your mom codie and have your control you or monitor you in any way.

Just share. I would bet she will breathe a great sigh of relief after your conversation.