Prayers that you will soon get to that point
Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Regardless of external factors or situations
for me to actually quit .....

I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink

Prayers that you will soon get to that point
How do you get there? I dumped out the rest of the pint I had like Dee suggested after talking to a women I've gotten to know from the AA meeting I normally attend.

Then something happened and I was upset so I went downstairs and drank some of my parents whiskey that they rarely drink.

Stupid stupid stupid. I don't know how you decide you want to be sober more than you want to drink. It's not even like I want to drink, in fact it's not really like I want anything besides...well the guy I love but that's way besdies the point...point is I just feel like I need to drink. And it's a lot easier to drink than to try and resist it.

I really really *WANT* to have the desire to quit more than I have the desire to drink but I just don't know how to... get the motivation, determination and will power I need to to resist drinking when my body and my mind are begging me for it
Old 05-08-2010, 01:56 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It took me years to get a real desire to quit. In that time from when I wanted the desire to when I got it I was arrested multiple times, injured myself a lot, broke the hearts of everyone around me and messed up my life over and over again.

You can avoid all the heartbreak, all the embarrassments and all the wasted days and nights if you want.

Like Carol said, I just hope you get to that point soon.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me years too SS.
I nearly died before I decided I better find less life threatening ways to cope with being me.

I hope SR can be of use to save some of us from going to the dark places I did - but in the end it's really up to you, and what you really want SS.

D
Old 05-08-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

((SS)) - I don't know if you believe in an HP, God, or whatever, but when I was first starting in recovery, I wasn't quite ready to quit. I prayed "to be willing to be willing to give it up" because that was the best I could do. I did this every time the thought of using crossed my mind (which was quite frequently) and until it worked.

I had the same problem with a gratitude list..at first I wasn't feeling very grateful. I gritted my teeth, thought for a minute and grunted "I'm grateful for a soft bed and pillow" because I'd been in jail, recently, and believe me, beds and pillows there are anything BUT soft. As days went by, my list grew. I KNEW I had a lot to be grateful, but I still had a bit of anger to work through. The more I started paying attention to what I had to be grateful for, the more I wanted to stay clean.

Don't know if this will help you any, it's just a few things that worked for me in the early days.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-08-2010, 04:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The more I started paying attention to what I had to be grateful for, the more I wanted to stay clean.
I've found this to be true for myself as well. The more I have to be thankful for (and it's a lot, really) the more I want to stay sober.

As far as your body and mind screaming for alcohol... resist enough times and the body and mind will scream less often and less loud until they don't scream at all.