Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Alcohol cravings replaced by.....junkfood cravings?

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Im on Day 9 and its weird. Today when I woke up, I didnt think about drinking right away like normal. It took almost an hour for me to even think "hey, I dont drink anymore". It was actually a really good feeling. But a little while after that, I started to get one of my usual anxiety episodes and kinda started to panic. I did think about drinking, but only briefly. What struck my mind was the need for junkfood lol. So right away I hopped in my car and headed to the grocery store for some chocolate almonds and gummie bears. Lame I know. But I guess this is just one of the traits of my excessive personality spilling over.

I guess its better than drinking but I definitely dont want to start substituting junk for alcohol. Ill be on a candy addiction forum in no time. Anybody ever have similar cravings?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

From what I've read, alcohol is broken down to sugars and other things by the liver.. a lot of people that quit drinking find that they crave sugar early on.. I did! Good thing you're noticing it now before you find yourself eating bags of candy a day
Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah i had a sugar craving too. Gulped down gallons of ice cream and started getting pudgy and lazy. the same methods i used to arrest my drinking are the same methods i use to control my eating.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yes.....I've been sober 3 months now, and although the cravings for sugar and junk food have calmed down abit. I definetely eat more of it than I ever did when I was drinking!! So I've joined the gym!!! and carry sugar free candies with me!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please check with your doctor about an eating plan for hypoglycemia

I followed the one from the book....
"Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketchan
but Google has many links about hypoglycemia.

Good to see you here again.....
Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had the sugar cravings badly, too for a while. I seem to have them under control now. I limit myself to two squares of dark chocolate a day.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think either the 4-5th day i was sober, I ate a giant cadbury bar right before bed...i've NEVER eaten so much candy andcookies. I kept a stash of 8 boxes of cookies in the house and my last count was 9 containers of flavored coffee creamer.

my cravings are greatly lessened, i noticed that this past week....but i haven't gained much weight because the alcohol i consumed was almost an extra 1500-2000 calories per day...even the candy was 1/2 of that.....but i was previously pre-diabetic so i have to keep the sugar in control....exercise helps too.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Totally normal. There is so much sugar in alcohol, your body will turn to something else if you tell it that it can't have alcohol.

Candy, chocolate, etc. all normal cravings. I drink a lot of pop now, but when I have a craving and feed it a glass of diet coke, it works.

It doesn't last forever.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I crave all kinds of rubbish foods when not drinking. Notably HJs.

Apparently scientists have done research that found different combinations of fat, sugar & salt trigger the release of neurotransmitters in the brain's pleasure centers.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Mine isn't so much craving junk food but just being hungry all the time. I guess I need to fill my body up with something now that I'm not filling it with 1000's of empty calories.

I'd lost a few lbs. and hope I don't gain them back. I need to lose like 40 lbs. to be at a "healthy" weight.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was eating like a pig in the first few weeks of sobrity. My Dr. had me on Seroquel as a sleeping aid and it made me eat 24/7, I had to stop that or I would be 300lbs in no time at all. I had no problem putting down a 1lb bag of penut M&M's in a day....Now things are much better and I try to get my fix from fruits. But I am sure M&M's will always be a psrt of my life.....

In my quest for a new diet/new me, I learned that sugar is digested the fastest out of everything we consume. So try not to combine it with any other food group except fruits containing sugar, as it will be held up in your stomach an turn it into an undigestable mess. Everyone is different and for some it can even turn into alcohol while waiting to digest. Just some words for thought.

Uhh, I think I will have some M&M's

Mahi
Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MahiMahi View Post
I was eating like a pig in the first few weeks of sobrity. My Dr. had me on Seroquel as a sleeping aid and it made me eat 24/7, I had to stop that or I would be 300lbs in no time at all. I had no problem putting down a 1lb bag of penut M&M's in a day....Now things are much better and I try to get my fix from fruits. But I am sure M&M's will always be a psrt of my life.....

In my quest for a new diet/new me, I learned that sugar is digested the fastest out of everything we consume. So try not to combine it with any other food group except fruits containing sugar, as it will be held up in your stomach an turn it into an undigestable mess. Everyone is different and for some it can even turn into alcohol while waiting to digest. Just some words for thought.

Uhh, I think I will have some M&M's

Mahi

I was given the same thing for sleep and have been eating a lot at night after I take it. Are you on something else now that doesn't give you the "munchies" per say?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I've been trying to replace the sugar cravings with fruit. A few strawberries with Splenda, bananas, some pineapple. I still want junk food though! lol