Off to a Wine Farm

Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off to a Wine Farm

Wish me luck
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just wondering...why did you put yourself in that position Karl?

D
Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Just wondering...why did you put yourself in that position Karl?

D
Back...

Because its a nice day, the kids can run around, the wife and friends enjoy a drop and the restaurant's fabulous..... And I need to prove to myself that I can still be normal in every other way.

Perhaps I enjoy a challenge.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fair enough - to me just not drinking was challenge enough
Hope the family had a nice day, Karl

D
Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Fair enough - to me just not drinking was challenge enough
Hope the family had a nice day, Karl

D
Was great thanks.... One good thing about Melbourne is the abundance of out-door entertainment for all.

PS You must remember that I was a beer drinker... so the real challenge would be going to a brewery - That one I think I'll skip for a while.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Long as it's not something that will get those thoughts triggered in your head again then I'm glad you had a good time with the family and had no problems Karl.

Steve
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
Long as it's not something that will get those thoughts triggered in your head again then I'm glad you had a good time with the family and had no problems Karl.

Steve
Was quite good as I did not have to "let the wife" drive etc.... I was able to have a good time and drive home
Old 04-26-2010, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I guess it's your decision to put yourself in a situation where you might be tempted. When you mentioned proving you can be normal and the nice restaurants, that made me wonder whether you wanted to prove you can have wine at the dinner table for culinary reasons, like a "normal" person.

At this point, do you want to stop altogether or are you thinking about trying to limit your drinking? I don't think the moderation route works for very many people who have an addiction, and you probably could have guessed I would say that. If you have that addiction, do you think you are ready for these kinds of outings? I have been to two or three contexts that are similar, and I was fine. But not without some questioning beforehand. So I keep it to a minimum for now.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
Well, I guess it's your decision to put yourself in a situation where you might be tempted. When you mentioned proving you can be normal and the nice restaurants, that made me wonder whether you wanted to prove you can have wine at the dinner table for culinary reasons, like a "normal" person.

At this point, do you want to stop altogether or are you thinking about trying to limit your drinking? I don't think the moderation route works for very many people who have an addiction, and you probably could have guessed I would say that. If you have that addiction, do you think you are ready for these kinds of outings? I have been to two or three contexts that are similar, and I was fine. But not without some questioning beforehand. So I keep it to a minimum for now.
For now I want to stop. If at some point I feel strong enough to have a glass and stop then fine... But like most things - Its one day at a time. I'm still not sure if all those years of drinking was because I have a problem or it was just a bad habit. Either way it was unhealthy for my body and mind which is the main reason I stopped. We all have will-power --> We just have to exercise it.

PS I was never unhappy drinking... and my drinking never affected people around me so for me not to drink matters less to others (not at all actually) than myself.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like you were just sick of drinking rather than it being a major problem in your life. That said, drinking can always escalate into a massive problem for many people.

I've friends who just chose to quit drinking for reasons other than being an alcoholic and I don't think they would ever go back to it.

Good luck all the same! Exercising willpower is important, especially when it comes to poisoning your body.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
It sounds to me like you were just sick of drinking rather than it being a major problem in your life.
I think that's a matter of degree, the treatment is the same however.