View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberKarl

Originally Posted by Toronto68 View Post
Well, I guess it's your decision to put yourself in a situation where you might be tempted. When you mentioned proving you can be normal and the nice restaurants, that made me wonder whether you wanted to prove you can have wine at the dinner table for culinary reasons, like a "normal" person.

At this point, do you want to stop altogether or are you thinking about trying to limit your drinking? I don't think the moderation route works for very many people who have an addiction, and you probably could have guessed I would say that. If you have that addiction, do you think you are ready for these kinds of outings? I have been to two or three contexts that are similar, and I was fine. But not without some questioning beforehand. So I keep it to a minimum for now.
For now I want to stop. If at some point I feel strong enough to have a glass and stop then fine... But like most things - Its one day at a time. I'm still not sure if all those years of drinking was because I have a problem or it was just a bad habit. Either way it was unhealthy for my body and mind which is the main reason I stopped. We all have will-power --> We just have to exercise it.

PS I was never unhappy drinking... and my drinking never affected people around me so for me not to drink matters less to others (not at all actually) than myself.