Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

My thoughs on Alcohol.. It's like someone you love dying..

Notices

My thoughs on Alcohol.. It's like someone you love dying..

Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I know what you're saying. Alcohol's absence is like a giant void in my life. It's sad not having my best friend to comfort me anymore, but I guess what's more sad is that my best friend was an inanimate object. I think it's just a matter of finding people and other healthy activities to replace it.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yeah...I get it. In the early days.....I thought, "how could I live without beer? How would I get through my birthday, Thanksgiving.....Christmas!" Quitting really was the death of a very powerful relationship. I probably loved alcohol more than my family, if I were to be totally honest....which I refuse to be.

But now, I can't believe the hold it had on me. I did my best...I do think I did...but it could have been so much better sober.

Sooooooooo grateful for this sober day. So grateful.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Yeah, alcoholism is all things to all people and we all have our own story, nothing wrong in any of that. Same with recovery and being recovered, different stories for different people. We all have something to share.

To most of the world alcohol is just another social drink nothing more or less. Not everybody is or will ever be alcoholic. I'm alcoholic and that makes all the difference in my sharing, but I too had a love-hate with alcohol back in my day.

Those resentments have since passed and its just part of my whole story nowadays. Now alcohol is just nothing to me, as it should be, imo.

Never give up. Never. Things will get worked out as you work them out.

Cheers!

Rob
Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I equated alcohol to a bad marriage, we are divorced now.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Im only on dY three and still at that point where I am finding it hard to let go of my friend. Alcohol has always been there for me, a constant companion if you like. Most of the time when I was drink I would prefer to drink on my own, it's almost as if the alcohol was the only company I needed. I'm gonna miss my friend but deep down I know it was going to destroy me!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Acorn. One of my favourite Oasis songs there! 'Cast No Shadow'. Written about Mad Richard (Ashcroft).

I too used to find booze the only company that I needed. It became easier to drink alone as my drinking progessed. Even drinking alone caused me problems though, I was drinking all alone when I lost my license for 2 years for drink-driving. Funny looking back how even on my own with no-one else my behaviour got me into trouble and sh*t on my future.

getting sober for me has been a process of mourning/grieving for my best friend too. However booze was destroying me and would have kiiled me or put me in prison or a psychiatric hospital before too long if I had carried on.

I was done with drink and drugs. I reached my bottom and was finished. Mourning the lifestyle too has been a big thing as all my music and ideas were based around bands who were notorious for their rock n' roll lifestyle. I lived that lifestyle too but it just took me to the gutter.

I am 9 months sober tomorrow and it's the best thing that I could have ever done for myself. Just keep everything one day at a time and accept mourning/grieving as all being part of the process.