Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

You relapsed, what are you going to do different this time?

Notices

You relapsed, what are you going to do different this time?

Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Untoxicated View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the "interrogation of those that relapsed" mindset.
I'm a fan of it for one reason only. So that the person can see for themselves that, while their reasons seem to make a little bit of sense at some times, they eventually have to conclude that their thinking was insane in light of the almost certain consequences of picking up that drink. Does the reason make any sense, or was it jaywalking? If someone 'knows' what they were doing wrong, then they probably missed the whole point of Step 1. They probably are operating under the delusion that they can do anything to keep from drinking.

Step 1 starts with, I'm screwed, buddy. Not a damn thing I can do about it. I suffer from a terminal condition that I don't have the power to fix.

The only answer that can come out of that interrogation is that I am powerless. I am without defense against that first drink. I lack the needed power.

So the only solution for me is to get that needed power. Now how do I do that? AA offers one possible way that has proven very effective.

I'm just as powerless today as when I first got sober. I've ceased fighting anyone or anything, even alcohol. The difference is that I've tapped into a power that takes care of that for me, as long as I'm willing to let that power take care of all the rest of me as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ago
So I no longer ask people who can't stop what they are going to do differently, I suggest they keep doing what they are doing until they are done, until doing what they are doing terrifies them so much they can't do it any more, keep doing what they are doing until they can surrender.
Speaking as somebody who is three days sober, craving, and terrified of crawling back into the bottle, that is beautifully put.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Speaking as somebody who is three days sober, craving, and terrified of crawling back into the bottle, that is beautifully put.
Thank You for that

PM me if I can help you in any way, shape or form, or if you have any questions, any questions whatsoever
Old 12-22-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ago View Post
Thank You for that

PM me if I can help you in any way, shape or form, or if you have any questions, any questions whatsoever
Thanks - I appreciate that.