Notices

Old Juice - Caution?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old Juice - Caution?

I just cleared out my fridge and noticed a bottle of previously opened Manishewitz grape juice left over from last year but hadn't thought to look at the expiration date because it appeared new, so as I was fancying a glass of grape juice, upon opening the bottle, there was a champaign *pop* sound then I noticed how the juice was bubbly and had a fermented wine scent. I dared not take a sip so dumped it.

Just a question... could grape juice accidentally ferment into wine if left in the fridge for a long time, say like a year?

If so, maybe it's time for spring cleaning fridges, toss old juices...
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

probably got as much alcohol in it as my listerine mouth wash i use morning and night but yeah it can ferment a little...just chuck it out if you are worried about it.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
probably got as much alcohol in it as my listerine mouth wash i use morning and night but yeah it can ferment a little...just chuck it out if you are worried about it.
Actually your Listerine is over 30% alcohol!! There is many an alcoholic who drinks mouthwash to stay drunk. It's one of the first things they take from you in rehab. Just thought I'd mention that.

As for the Grape Juice...why would you want an old bottle of expired grape juice around anyway?? Pitch it. Take care.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mergirl

gross!! I'm with tyler, toss it
Old 12-22-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

A sealed bottle of grape juice is unlikely to ferment into wine. Yeast must be present, because yeast turns sugar into alcohol.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It needs yeast to ferment but drinking old grape juice doesn't sound like a healthy thing to do anyway.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Agreed. I use Listerine and I brush my teeth with Ultra Brite toothpaste. It cleans my teeth and leaves my breath minty fresh. When I'm done using the mouthwash and brushing my teeth with the toothpaste, I spit it out and rinse my mouth with ice-cold water. I'm not a listerineoholic. If I wanted to get drunk, I'd drink bourbon and tequila. But I'm a recovered alcoholic in A.A., so I don't.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Salsa also seems to become carbonated if left in the fridge too long. Now the junior scientist in me wants to find out why. Hmmmm.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

As CaptainZing and Harry have said, yeast be added. But throw it anyway, sounds off.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I definitely tossed the juice along with a bunch of other old juices and condiments... I kept it around for so long because I forgot about it... the juices were left over from a party last year and stuffed in the back of my big fridge. I have food allergies, especially to mold and dyes. I just threw the question out there in case anyone else came near to accidentally drinking 'wine' caused by juice fermenting. In researching this fridge related distilling, I came across some weird articles about how prison inmates use prune juice to make "pruno" wine in prison. Shudder shudder.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
---> StillTasty: Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide - Save Money, Eat Better, Help The Environment
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Apples and bread will make CH3CH2OH.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I solved my problem with a simple solution. Having a couple 12 year old boys ensures that nothing will last longer than a day or two in the fridge. But for some unknown reason they stay away from my pickled herring and tomato juice.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

north......
Fascinating info....thanks for the link
Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

North! thank you for that link on perishables.... I've bookmarked it and am going through the site now.