Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

When AA doesn't work for you and with a dearth of resources

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do? I have tried EVERYTHING. Unfortunately, there are not many other options in my area. I've gone to every group where I live. While I do appreciate these groups, they are far from my house and it's not that easy for me to get there.

I see a new psychiatrist tomorrow and I am hoping he can help me. I see a new therapist on the 21st and I am hoping she can help me. I've been through the mill on psychotropic drugs, all to no avail.

I have concluded AA is not an option for me, as it just isn't. Any thoughts as to how I might battle this addiction on my own?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
WARNING! You might not like this answer

Drinking again was not an option for me. I didn't like AA much at first, so I had to force myself to sit through meetings until I came to a point of peace between myself and the program of AA. It really came down to being a matter of life or death.

There all many, many things I can do to try to battle alcoholism on my own. Christian programs, this site, books, medications, other recovery programs, chat room meetings, yoga, etc. etc. etc. But the bottom line for me is that I need face-to-face support, spirituality, and a 12-Step program.

If I feel that I've tried everything and nothing is working, then I need to look within myself and discover why these solutions aren't acceptable to me.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
WARNING! You might not like this answer

Drinking again was not an option for me. I didn't like AA much at first, so I had to force myself to sit through meetings until I came to a point of peace between myself and the program of AA. It really came down to being a matter of life or death.

There all many, many things I can do to try to battle alcoholism on my own. Christian programs, this site, books, medications, other recovery programs, chat room meetings, yoga, etc. etc. etc. But the bottom line for me is that I need face-to-face support, spirituality, and a 12-Step program.

If I feel that I've tried everything and nothing is working, then I need to look within myself and discover why these solutions aren't acceptable to me.
You are correct. I do not like your answer. But thank you for answering.

I have participated in LifeRing and their advice was to go to AA, only because there are no LifeRing meetings in my area. I will not sit through a Baptist Church service to treat a medical-psychological problem.

Oh, and LifeRing's mantra is "Don't Drink, No Matter what." It just happens to be a secularist movement.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Recovered1

I don't do AA - I was un/lucky enough to drink so much that not wanting to die and SR keep me sane - but I agree with Astro when he says

If you do that and you honestly find it really is the programmes and not you, then you owe it to yourself to keep searching for the way that makes sense to you - doubly hard even.

Noone else gets us sober.

keep looking
D
Old 12-09-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Recovered1

I don't do AA - I was un/lucky enough to drink so much that not wanting to die and SR keep me sane - but I agree with Astro when he says

If you do that and you honestly find it really is the programmes and not you, then you owe it to yourself to keep searching for the way that makes sense to you - doubly hard even.

Noone else gets us sober.

keep looking
D
Right, and I need help and I am seeking to do this within myself, as there is no help without myself. The only problem is I need help, REAL HELP. To this end, I am hoping this shrink will help me. The 12 steps are clearly not for me. Yet, I am frustrated with the dearth of resources out there. I am just FRUSTRATED with the state of affairs in 2009 with respect to addiction treatment. Nonetheless, I have to somehow summon up my own reserves, as there are no other reserves out there. Who can help me to summon up my own reserves? Thanks for your post.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Recovered...aa, while a huge help for some, is not necessary to obtain and maintain sobriety. What is necessary is fierce determination and patience. Please do not feel as if a rejection of aa lessens your chance to be successful. You have to want to quit more than you want to continue in the insanity. SR is a great place to find support. I wish you all the best.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why not re locate to an area where Life Ring is active?
When it comes down to saving my sanity and life...
I'd be packing quickly....
Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is pretty tough to recover from. I guess that's why things are not all that different from the way it was in the 1930's... When a world renowned and still respected PSYCHOLOGIST... Carl Jung... held little hope for the hopeless alcoholic... except that those who found a spiritual (not religious) seemed to have a better chance at recovery.

Carl Jung was a medical doctor, psychiatrist who observed that a spiritual solution helped in cases of alcoholism....

I will not sit through a Baptist Church service to treat a medical-psychological problem.
So even though it doesn't seem to interest you, medical/psychological professionals still seem to acknowledge the approach. Oh, BTW.... I've only been to a baptist church once, AA meetings are nothing like them.... Spiritual, not religious.

I really hope you find a way... many here have without AA... hopefully they will be along soon to guide you.

Peace
Mark
Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Theres some pretty good resource links in this forum, and in the substance abuse forum Recovered1

D
Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Why not re locate to an area where Life Ring is active?
When it comes down to saving my sanity and life...
I'd be packing quickly....
You know, I have thought about this. I need to think about this more. Honestly. If it's a choice between my life or security, I really should opt for life.

It's just that I consider the crappy economy and what have you and then I back down. At least I have security. Thanks for your post.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Recovered1 View Post
LifeRing's mantra is "Don't Drink, No Matter what."
That's an AA saying too. What I'm trying to say is this....

Pain is a terrific motivator. When I get tired of hurting, I'm more open to anything that might be of help, in fact I gasp out like a drowning rat. For years I've found that help in the rooms of AA. But.......

Recently I've been in some pain again. I'm not hearing the message at my meetings, I'm not sponsoring anyone, I'm not doing a whole lot of service work, I'm just going through the motions. Maybe AA stopped working for me, but more likely I've become complacent and bored. So last week I walked back to Celebrate Recovery, last night I bought the workbook and started Step 1 again.

When I feel that I have tried everything and nothing is working for me, then it's time to figure out what I need for my recovery. Either that or I might as well pick up a drink cuz that'll be the next step I take.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's an AA saying too. What I'm trying to say is this....

Pain is a terrific motivator. When I get tired of hurting, I'm more open to anything that might be of help, in fact I gasp out like a drowning rat. For years I've found that help in the rooms of AA. But.......

Recently I've been in some pain again. I'm not hearing the message at my meetings, I'm not sponsoring anyone, I'm not doing a whole lot of service work, I'm just going through the motions. Maybe AA stopped working for me, but more likely I've become complacent and bored. So last week I walked back to Celebrate Recovery, last night I bought the workbook and started Step 1 again.

When I feel that I have tried everything and nothing is working for me, then it's time to figure out what I need for my recovery. Either that or I might as well pick up a drink cuz that'll be the next step I take.
Astro, I am happy there still IS a solution to be found within the rooms of AA for you. There simply is NOT for me. We keep telling people..."insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Well, at some point continuing to return to AA is the same. AA is NOT the solution for everyone, no matter how well intended someone might be. I have given it a go, many years of a go and I simply do not buy into the whole thing.

No, what I need is another solution to not repeat the "insanity wheel" of continuing to do the same old thing expecting different results.

Ultimately, it might come down to my relocating to go to the kind of groups where I need to be. Sad state of affairs in 2009 with respect to addiction SCIENCE (and I emphasize the word science). It's a brain disease, to be sure, not a spiritual one. Respectfully and thank you...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Alcoholism is pretty tough to recover from. I guess that's why things are not all that different from the way it was in the 1930's... When a world renowned and still respected PSYCHOLOGIST... Carl Jung... held little hope for the hopeless alcoholic... except that those who found a spiritual (not religious) seemed to have a better chance at recovery.

Carl Jung was a medical doctor, psychiatrist who observed that a spiritual solution helped in cases of alcoholism....

So even though it doesn't seem to interest you, medical/psychological professionals still seem to acknowledge the approach. Oh, BTW.... I've only been to a baptist church once, AA meetings are nothing like them.... Spiritual, not religious.

I really hope you find a way... many here have without AA... hopefully they will be along soon to guide you.

Peace
Mark
Carl Jung has been dead for years. Bill Wilson has been dead for years. Certainly, in all of these YEARS we could have come up with something better than what we have? This is 2009.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

AA ain't broke, it still works for some people so there's no reason to fix it.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AA ain't broke, it still works for some people so there's no reason to fix it.
With all due respect, AA has a 5% success rate. Even George Valliant on the AA Board of Trustees in his study will attest to this fact.

For the lucky 5%, I say good and great. What the heck do the other 95% of us out there do?

No need to change AA, BUT we do need more options. At times I feel like addicts are the scourge of the earth - the throwaway people. This frustrates me greatly. Look at all of the people sitting in prisons as their drug of choice was not alcohol. How sad.

I just want to see awareness raised and more options given to those of us who struggle and I would REALLY like to see it become mainstream. I don't hold this hope out in my lifetime. No, I will probably just be one of the many who could not get with the program and die an early death.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't see the need for this to turn into another AA bashing/AA adherents thread.

We have a million of them.

Lets move on.

If you feel that strongly recovered1 then strike off the 12 step programmes and look at the next option.

This is the resource list from this forum:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

This is the resource list from Substance Abuse:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...i-recover.html

My advice is to keep the focus squarely on yourself and what you need to do next - don't get distracted arguing science vs spirituality.
D
Old 12-09-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When Carl Jung practiced, as is the case now, alcoholism had/has been on the planet since the beginning... yet he, a very smart and educated man, had no answer... he could only observe that those who had experienced this "phenomenon" had recovered.

Tough thing, this alcoholism. Yea, makes you wonder doesn't it? They just haven't come up with anything that works, those scientists...

We are on the same side, maybe we'll use different tools....

Peace
Mark
Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't see the need for this to turn into another AA bashing thread.
We have a million of them.

Lets move on.

If you feel that strongly recovered1 then strike off the 12 step programmes and look at the next option.

My advice is to keep the focus squarely on yourself and what you need to do next - don't get distracted arguing science vs spirituality.
D
My point is, and my frustration, what IS the next option? I believe I said earlier in this thread I was looking for how to summon up my own reserves to tackle my addictions? I still have to fight for me. If anyone knows how to do this, I would like to know too. If anyone out there has done it alone, please do share. My life depends on it. Thank you.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Recovered1~ First of all good for you for looking at ways to get sober. I was able to do it on my own, with the help of SR and my many Friends here for 11 months. However I still felt the pain and anxiety that drove me to drinking for a lot of that time. I was adamant about not going to AA, did NOT want to go to a meeting. But when my fear of relapse became bigger than my not wanting to go to AA, guess what? I went.

I've only been to a handful of meetings, but can honestly say I've learned something at each and every one of them. AA is not for everyone, but if it's AA or nothing, if it's that or returning to drinking...what would you rather do?

Take Care and Good Luck Sweetie~

ETA: You could check some recovery books out at your local Library if possible. One thing I've also found helps is exercise. It may sound simple, but it really does help! Again, I was here for 11 months before I stepped into a meeting and I did that by *choice*. You can use chat here, PM, read around. Find someone you feel you can connect with and talk to them. I was also very blessed, my Husband has been an amazing support as has my Best Friend. Do you have anyone you can talk to IRL?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mariposa18 View Post
Recovered1~ First of all good for you for looking at ways to get sober. I was able to do it on my own, with the help of SR and my many Friends here for 11 months. However I still felt the pain and anxiety that drove me to drinking for a lot of that time. I was adamant about not going to AA, did NOT want to go to a meeting. But when my fear of relapse became bigger than my not wanting to go to AA, guess what? I went.

I've only been to a handful of meetings, but can honestly say I've learned something at each and every one of them. AA is not for everyone, but if it's AA or nothing, if it's that or returning to drinking...what would you rather do?

Take Care and Good Luck Sweetie~

ETA: You could check some recovery books out at your local Library if possible. One thing I've also found helps is exercise. It may sound simple, but it really does help! Again, I was here for 11 months before I stepped into a meeting and I did that by *choice*. You can use chat here, PM, read around. Find someone you feel you can connect with and talk to them. I was also very blessed, my Husband has been an amazing support as has my Best Friend. Do you have anyone you can talk to IRL?
Thank you, Mariposa (butterfly )

I have been to more than 1000 meetings in my lifetime. Maybe more. I have been to seven rehabs. I have been to many shrinks and therapists. Yet, I have a new one tomorrow and maybe he will help me!

I agree with you on exercise. That IS a lifesaver.

I live alone with no one, so I cannot really rely on anyone but ME. Yet it has come down to ME.

I seek help as I just do not know what to do anymore. Thank you for your kind post.