Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I need advice from an alcoholic/recovered alcoholic

Notices

I need advice from an alcoholic/recovered alcoholic

Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Speaking from my own experience: I knew I was hurting those who loved me. I'm sure I had no idea (and still don't) how much, but I knew I was doing harm to the people who were closest to me. I knew I was killing myself, I knew I needed to get to treatment or I was going to die. But in the state I was in, those negative thoughts just made me want to drink more. I drank in order to stop thinking -- the worse the thoughts, the more I drank. And knowing I was hurting those around me was pretty distressing.

I don't intend this to sound harsh, but I don't think non-addicts can truly "get into" addicts' heads. Our brains, when in active addiction, just plain work differently. The best thing you can do is get into your own head, try to understand and deal with what you're going through. Your partner will get sober, or not, only when he's good and ready. The best thing you can do is be good to yourself.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Would it come as a complete shock to you to learn that he is not your problem? You are your problem. He can't help you with your problem anymore than you can help him with his.

Act accordingly. Get support for yourself in dealing with your problem, and he will cease to be an issue (and, mostly likely, he will also cease to be a part of your life).

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's hard to say without knowing the person. People can relate the situation to their own experiences, and the way their psychology reacted to alcohol, but really each person is unique, and you probably know better than anyone here.

Me - I never confused killing kittens with giving money to charity even in my drunkest state. I never really hurt loved ones because I drunk alone, and at most sort of isolated a few days, but then just sort of bounced back and vowed never to drink - again. And I always knew I was doing grave damage to myself while drinking - knew I was in deep trouble the first time I had DT's.

good luck.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi there

You can't make him stop drinking, only he can do something for himself when he is ready.

You should have a look at the family and friends section on SR, my question would be how is it possible that he thinks this behaviour is acceptable to you and why do you think it is acceptable, assuming this is not the very first time that he has been drinking 2 bottles a day for 4 weeks?

Good luck, it sounds like a living hell for you and him!