Notices

I "graduate" tomorrow night

Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I "graduate" tomorrow night

Have I been a resounding success? Heck no. But I did see this thing through 72 hours of therapy and 24 sessions, so I do feel good about that. Plus, I have 52 nights of aftercare after this. A whole year once a week. If I can't get things down after this, I am hopeless.

At any rate, I just wanted to share. At least I will have completed something that was a commitment - recovery related. And thank you so much for putting up with me and for all of your support.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats Katie!

Keep going!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Have I been a resounding success? Heck no. But I did see this thing through 72 hours of therapy and 24 sessions, so I do feel good about that. Plus, I have 52 nights of aftercare after this. A whole year once a week. If I can't get things down after this, I am hopeless.

At any rate, I just wanted to share. At least I will have completed something that was a commitment - recovery related. And thank you so much for putting up with me and for all of your support.
Not true.
Congrats on completing this portion of the program!
Someone around here has a quote that made an impact on me today. This is not it, but this is what it said to me.

It is never too late to become the person you were meant to be.
And one of my favorites from Ghandi...
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Congratulations on your progress in recovery Katie.

As long as any of us continue to reach out for answers, help, and support, there will always be hope.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

what have I said about that hopeless thing Katie lol.
while there's life, there really is hope. I really believe that.

You've done well. Small steps maybe, a few wobbles, but clear progress in the right direction. That's an achievement

Congratulations on reaching the end of the course, K

D
Old 06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats.

Finishing something is huge. I know, I couldn't finish anything until I got sober. I especially bolted when I wasn't perfect. So I think that sticking in something when you didn't exactly measure up to expectations is actually a huge accomplishment. I got on and off the wagon weekly, daily, monthly for almost 3 years before I got sober. It was such a battle. But that whole time I was in therapy and working a lot on myself. I must say that sober therapy is about 100x more effective. However, therapy is not lost while using. In fact I needed it majorly to get ready to be sober. I needed those three years of prep before getting really sober. They were so important and not just me dawdling and prolonging the inevitable. I have seen you grow a lot. I really think you are going to get to complete sobriety soon.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep on standing!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Congratulations, Katie!

Keep moving forward.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
Congrats.

Finishing something is huge. I know, I couldn't finish anything until I got sober. I especially bolted when I wasn't perfect. So I think that sticking in something when you didn't exactly measure up to expectations is actually a huge accomplishment. I got on and off the wagon weekly, daily, monthly for almost 3 years before I got sober. It was such a battle. But that whole time I was in therapy and working a lot on myself. I must say that sober therapy is about 100x more effective. However, therapy is not lost while using. In fact I needed it majorly to get ready to be sober. I needed those three years of prep before getting really sober. They were so important and not just me dawdling and prolonging the inevitable. I have seen you grow a lot. I really think you are going to get to complete sobriety soon.
Thanks sfgirl and everyone! I admit I am going to miss it - going there for 3 hours a night 3x a week. The therapist has been the BEST one ever in my life. He is tolerant, non judgmental and always chooses his words carefully as to be very inclusive. Plus, the group has consisted of only two or three people so it's been INTENSIVE. I do look forward to the aftercare, which again only has two people in it. I don't know why this program doesn't have more people, as it's the best kept secret I have come across.

Thanks to you and others for being such an inspiration. I hope to get where you all are one of these days. And this is just for you!... lol
Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

can you see the therapist one-on-one outside of the program?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats Katie!

I know it hasn't been easy for you but you did it! Keep us posted on the aftercare deal. Sounds like some pretty personal attention! I think there was like 30 people in my aftercare group!

Love,

Lenina
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
can you see the therapist one-on-one outside of the program?
Unfortunately, I cannot. He is working on getting his clinical hours in so he cannot see people. Maybe someday...
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post

congratulation Katie, you've demonstrated that it is possible. Meanwhile, i urge you to take measures that will make your success permanent. Like I normally advise people, get involved in activities that will help take your mind away from gathering and friends that can lure you into drinking again. get involved in social, non-govermental or religious activities.

drug and alcohol treatment centers
Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

Congratulations Katie.

I would guess that most people on this forum understand what it’s like to face the ruthlessness of addiction, vowing over and over again to quit only to find themselves relapsing. A lot of the search for clarity comes from the attitude we have while pursuing it. You have obviously struggled, and you still persist in the belief that there is something better in the world than being a slave to addiction. Don’t give up. Your life is worth more than time squandered under the influence.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, thank you all! I did "graduate" tonight and got this cool coin that says "When you come to the edge of all you know, you must believe in one of two things, there will be earth upon which to stand or you will be given wings."

Isn't that the best?!

The aftercare therapist sat in on the first hour and he is just awesome too! Here I thought I had to go somewhere else to get what I wanted and it was practically in my own backyard all the time.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I carry that same coin in my pocket Katie! Glad to hear you graduated with flying colors
Old 06-25-2009, 03:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Way to go Katie! Onward and upward...keep moving forward!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations Katie, stay strong.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

In mid 2003 I graduated an 10 week IOP that really went for 9 months...for me. Why? Because I'm a chronic relapser. Over the past years I have relapsed...chronically. Yet I never quit maintaining my involvement in addiction treatment. In these past 5 years I have gained some and lost some ground...and you know it has gotten better...over the long haul...over all. I hope you have better and better recovery experiences as you go along your addiction treatment journey.