Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What type of stunts did you pull that was a red flag to you?

Notices

What type of stunts did you pull that was a red flag to you?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I passed out in an alleyway of a bar Thanksgiving 07 and was run over by a car. Breaking my jaw in 4 places, knocking out 2 teeth, fractured skull and lacerations on my face. Then having my jaw wired shut for 6 weeks. And even after that I didn't learn my lesson. Red flags are just that. I realized that it wasn't until I wanted to get sober that it would actually happen.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Calling a 24 hour road service company I was a member of to get my vehicle and me a free ride home when I was too drunk to drive.

The point where I crossed the line from being drunk and never getting kicked out of bars, to getting kicked out or asked to leave almost every bar I went to when I was drinking towards the end.

Doing and saying things I would never do sober. Ever.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I suppose my stunts could have been a lot worse, but they still cause a lot of shame. I started blacking out almost nightly. Typically the worst consequence was not remembering getting to bed, but a few mornings I woke up with lots of mail in my inbox after posting all sorts of stuff on Facebook that I really would never have wrote sober.

I'd also panic when I'd hear the dreaded words from my wife "Do you remember what you did/said last night?!"

Its comforting to know I can choose to not have to go through any of that again.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by pgb View Post
Lost my car in the city - twice. I had to report the car stolen to the police.
Ah, that's the one I was gonna post! Mine was I blacked out, moved my car, went back to the party, left to move my car not knowing I already had, and thought it was stolen. I flipped out, injured myself kicking things, people were yelling at me to shut the hell up, and then I called the police to report it stolen. When I woke up in the morning, I had this sneaking suspicion so I walked around looking for it, found it, and had to call the police to cancel the report so I could drive it home without being pulled over.

A less funny one was the time I went out drinking, commuting by bike so as to bypass the driving issue. I blacked out at some point, and woke up in my bed - covered in blood. That's not an exaggeration; it was all over my sheets and down the entire front of my shirt. Plus, I was soaked in p*ss. I looked in the mirror and saw I had busted my chin wide open. And to top it all off, my brand-new, awesome bike was nowhere to be found, never to be seen again.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

There are these fake "coke a cola" thin plastic sheets that one can wrap around a beer can. So it looks like one is drink a coke...but ah yet one is not. I been finding these can wrapper since the 70's...and just seen one the other day...LOL...it never ends.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I went to a girlfriends hen-do after a workout and not eating. I quaffed 4 champs and half a pint of vodka before passing out on her bed in the middle of the party, 3 hours into it. They were headed out for dinner and had to wake me, dress me, find my purse and walk me home on the way to the Tapas Bar.

Smashed a wine glass over my husbands head for some reason, knocking him out cold and left him with a dandy scar.

Being found on the side of the road after walking home from someones house, only to be taken to the hospital. Arguing with the nurse and telling her that if she wanted me to kill myself I will swallow some herion to do so thereby earning my one way ticket to the mental institution for 3 days. My husband was due to move in with me overseas in one weeks time, but because they would not let me out without him there to care for me, he had to quit his job early and buy another airline ticket just to come out. I was wearing only shorts and a tank top and flip flops the whole time. Had no visitors to bring me a change of clothes or toiletries. The staff treated us like crap, never told me where the shower was, and when I asked, the shower had only cold water. Upon admission, I found my underpants in my pocket and had no recolletion of why they were there. I was afraid I had been raped. My purse went missing as well.
That was 2 years ago.
shame.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

One last one I thought of while cleaning the kitchen and coming across some bottles:
Going back out to the recycle bin to gather bottles and see what kind of drops were in there just to fill a shot glass with vodka.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I got drunk when I really didn't want to, or plan on it.

In fact, I was trying everything I could to not drink, not even one.

And I still ended up drunk.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Knowing that i was about to run out of beer around midnight. The shops close at 11pm, so still with a couple of beers left in the house, getting in my car, leaving my small kids in the house alone and getting to the shop so i could have enough to last the night.

Another one, getting in on a Saturday night/ Sunday morning about 4am after 13/14 hours drinking and taking ecstasy. Driving my van to work at 7am Sunday morning, drinking at work Sunday afternoon, then going to pick my kids up about 5pm and taking them to their mom's from their nan's. This happened every week for about 18 months.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:23 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digderidoo View Post
Knowing that i was about to run out of beer around midnight. The shops close at 11pm, so still with a couple of beers left in the house, getting in my car, leaving my small kids in the house alone and getting to the shop so i could have enough to last the night.

Another one, getting in on a Saturday night/ Sunday morning about 4am after 13/14 hours drinking and taking ecstasy. Driving my van to work at 7am Sunday morning, drinking at work Sunday afternoon, then going to pick my kids up about 5pm and taking them to their mom's from their nan's. This happened every week for about 18 months.
This made me think of the time I went to work still charged up on coke, meeting my boss there for my shift and thinking I was getting away with it. My husband walked in (i worked in retail) drunk and the charade was over. From that point on I knew the jig was up and all eyes were on me until the day I resigned. My boss called me on the carpet about smelling it on me as well and I denied anything. My husband feels awful for making such a big mistake.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

The stupidest thing I did was stop a police car in London on New year's and ask for a lift to Hammersmith
Old 06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I'm another hiding the habit from roommates and family members (like drinking alone when they're home and trying to act normal) that subsequently made them not trust me guy (hell I've even tried to have others lie for me), but I have a few more:

- Walked into a friend's house when they were sleeping, cooked some eggs (while breaking a few on the ground), and left. She called me after, knowing it was obviously me. I denied it. We didn't talk much after that.

- Being under 21, so not being able to buy alcohol I snuck into upwards 10 houses/apartments near my dorm in the late night and stole alcohol from them. Places that have hosted parties, maybe 7 or so I could call friends. This could have been simply taking a few shots, filling up a water bottle, stuffing some beers in my hoodie. College students tend to leave their doors unlocked, especially nights after parties. Most still have no clue*. I did this with cigarettes too (only when drunk), but was often less successful.

- Brutually injured my face and palm falling down an asphalt incline following my ride to their car after a party. I'm lucky nothing was broken, but it sure was embarrassing to explain all the bandages to people that asked me the day after, which was the first day of Spring semester.

- Over 21, weeks before my DUI trial I came back from drinking with a friend I had a crush on (who didn't reciprocate because the only time I'd feign interest in him was when I was drinking) and took my roommate's car keys (because my car was unable to drive) while I was fully aware that he was still in the apartment and drove, drunk to Rite Aid to buy a handle of whiskey. When I got back he saw I had the handle, I said I walked, and that was when he began to gather an intervention. To this day he has no clue that I used his car. That's going to be a very hard amends, seeing as he's my best friend.

* - this resulted in the first time I thought I had a problem, as one night, a week before the end of the semester, I went out to do my theft run because I had an unsatisfying night because of high expectations. I go to a "regular" house, who's owners know me and are glad to see me when I walk into their parties even though I was never invited. I'm pretty comfortable, as I've hit this one up a few times before, as well as their neighbors. That night, the neighbors door was strangely a jar so I walked in, took some shots of rum from their fridge and chilled on the couch, drinking, arrogantly thinking that I'm getting away with it right as they sleep. I try to steal later that night from a frat house, but I'm drunk and loud and get caught and they yell at me to leave. The next morning cops knock on my door. They strip search my dorm, turns out the girls have seen me stealing in their place before. I use the common excuse, I was blackout yadda yadda. Amazingly, they don't really care about that, because their was a bigger robbery at their neighbors house, a stolen laptop and PS3 (that's why the door was open). This I didn't know do (I wasn't blackout; at this time I only stole booze and cigs, not money or property), but they took my fingerprints because of the rum on the counter and left. The rest of the week I was a nervous and anxious mess knowing that it would prove I was in their house and all my friends would soon know. Nothing happened. I should have taken it as a sign and thanked my lucky stars, but nope.

Also, the boy that I had the biggest crush on and had a fighting chance of attaining moved in with the girls the following semester. It very obviously didn't work out.

How could I ever miss any of that?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
I hid beer outside in our shed (when I was married).

did the same thing