Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What type of stunts did you pull that was a red flag to you?

Notices

What type of stunts did you pull that was a red flag to you?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

"So of course I drank it"

LOL
Old 06-16-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Ahhh... there just isnt enough time for this is there? Great Topic!

I hid vodka anywhere. Inside the computer (as mentioned earlier), inside the printer which makes all sorts of noise when it tries to print with a 1/2 pint inside, in countless water bottles too. In ductwork around the house, and even a vodka filled water bottle... floating in the tank of the toilet.

Thank God I got out before anything got "too out of hand." Still, for me its important to remember the ugly and the funny.

Apparently I had an issue with my TV, oven, toolbox, telephone, and yes the ugly floor plants... They all got wizzed on.

Cracks me up now since its been so long and I'm comfortably at peace. I wouldnt trade these easy days for those.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The brightest red flag for me was the total blackouts, I think it wasn't the amount I was drinking but more how fast(or I'm just prone to blackouts).. but I wouldn't remember anything or only have a couple vague memories. I would have HORRIBLE shame and guilt as I called the people I hung out so I could start piecing together what happened.

While I was in a relationship I would do all the typical hiding tactics, nothing creative though.. I would just hide the drink some where in my desk. I would also push the new empties to the bottom of the recycling bin so they couldn't be seen. I would never forget to take the recycling bins out.. that way my collection wouldn't build up.

Blah.. not trying to make this too long but.. I was once home for the recycling guys to come by my house.. god it was embarassing to hear *CRASH* as my dozens of bottles broke in the back of the truck.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

even a vodka filled water bottle... floating in the tank of the toilet.
That made me chuckle.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
catch-22

sending work e-mails at 2 o'clock in the morning during a blackout... dreading of reading them in the morning when I discovered them...

Hiding the amount I drank... going to the pub at 5 o'clock pretending it was my first drink when I had already downed almost a bottle of wine...
Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wow everyone, thanks for the laughs. I laughed so hard, tears were streamming out of my eyes. Totally can relate, since most of these examples are mine. Not laughing at anyone, or making fun, laughing with you. Sure brings back some shameful memories and I thought they were my secrets and mine alone.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Okay, gonna add one of my own.
Woke up from a binge on the sofa, had no panties on, a cherry pie was all over my legs and the floor and smeared on my left cheek. (face) Wow, what a mess. Found my panties in the bathroom sink, I guess I must of had an accident. No memory of that night, for a while was afraid to look the neighbors in the face.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
catch-22

fell asleep on the bathroom floor after a binge and woke up in the morning without glasses... had to drive to nearest town - without glasses - to buy a new pair... returned home and found old glasses behind the WC...
Old 06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
pgb

Lost my car in the city - twice. I had to report the car stolen to the police.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
catch-22

Originally Posted by pgb View Post
Lost my car in the city - twice. I had to report the car stolen to the police.
Good first post!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Hannitized

I am glad I read these posts. I have a palpable sense of deep shame and regret at this moment. It is almost as real as all of those days after. I like it. I like remembering why I no longer drink.

Thank you~
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Some of these posts I am thinking
"man, that is bad..." sad part to that is- if I would have thought about it at the time, id have been all over it
Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I used to buy O'Douls Non Alcoholic Beer and pour it out and fill it with real beer or just spike it with Gin. That way if I smelled like Beer I had a good excuse.

I used to say "I don't have a Drinking Problem, I have an Aluminum Disposal Problem". It wasn't a joke. I would fill two recycle bins to overflowing with beer cans in a single week....and I had a can crusher.

One night after my Wife went to bed I woke up and decided to get drunk and then go back to bed like nothing happened. I started drinking heavily and decided to go for a swim in my pool. While I was in the water I was bouyant and weightless so I didn't realize how drunk I was getting. When I got up to get out of the pool, gravity made me collapse and I lay there passed out for several hours not able to move with my legs folded under me. I was able to eventually crawl to make it back to bed but my knees were bleeding and the knee joints were messed up for months so I walked with terrible pain and limping. I still have the scars.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
pgb

There's also the infamous "woking up in another city 100 miles away under a tree" (yes it happened to me...)
Old 06-19-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

oh....another couple.

How about waking up in detox and another time in jail. All as a result of a large amount of alcoholic beverage consumed. I was aware I was there....but was wasted when I arrived, only to wake up sober. And then only remembering 2-3 snippets of the night before. This was 4 years ago.....well before my two dwi's and numerous other problems, hell before I was even 21. THE INSANITY!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I recall vaguely getting thrown out of the hotel pool at 4am because I was waking the other visitors, and the pool was closed. The security guard thought I was crazy, still don't know why. :wtf2
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I climbed a (metal) fence to get into an apartment complex pool that was closed. The reason it was closed? A thunderstorm! The police came and paid us a visit.

One of the things I obsess over is all the times I have gone to the 3 convenience stores around my house with a pocketful of change to buy whatever cheap alcohol I could get my hands on. I hate to go in now that I'm sober, but I just do it anyway and hope they don't recognize me as that drunk chick who was buying beer a few weeks ago... With nickels... At 7:00 a.m.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I used to go to the liquor store at 6 AM and stand at the door till they opened at 10 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

I would buy a 12 pack, beer was one of the drinks I could ‘handle’ without going gaga...my wife would say well at least it aint brandy...yea well, what she didn’t know even when she checked the bank account and saw the amount I used at the bottle shop was I would hoard coins to buy 4-5 nips of brandy in the airline size bottles to supplement my beer...and then, the beast was loose as in the allergy would be awake and I would drink for days which I never did when I just drank beer.

computer games are such a trigger for me...
Old 06-23-2009, 02:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

i filled expensive, minature shampoo bottles with vodka whenever we went on vacation so that I would have a well stocked 'cosmetics' kit