Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What type of stunts did you pull that was a red flag to you?

Notices

What type of stunts did you pull that was a red flag to you?

Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SexyCeloryStick View Post
I used to take off the side of my computer case and store my liqour in it so no one would know
Now THAT'S ingenuity! I am not married and do not have kids + I live in a fairly permissive environment. So I've never had to hide my bottles. I have, however, hidden my empties so that the upstairs neighbor doesn't catch a glance of the obscene number of beer and whiskey bottles (seriously, it's alarming to even think about, much less look at...we're talking enough alcohol bottles to anesthetize a polar bear). I also found myself frantically purging the house of all empties because someone called and said that they were on the way over. Usually just rounded them all if a Hefty bag and stashed them in the closet until they were gone. It's the definition of pathetic.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My red flags went up when I realized I was hiding my drinking from my kids, and lying about it too. If it was so innocent, why was I lying about it and hiding it? I knew I was in trouble but it took me a while longer to admit it to myself and longer than that to actually stop drinking.

I'm just glad I don't live like that anymore.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Me too least!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No red flags for me......
I thought everyone who drank had blackouts....
Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Buy a 6 pack, get home when no one was there, open all bottles at once, drink 1/2 of each beer them refill it with Jamesons. Recap them all and put in fridge.When the family got home say "look I only bought a 6 pack, isnt that good???" Then get smashed on my mix of whisky and beer
That's the kind of ingenuity I can admire, Marty!!! Wish I would have thought of that when I was drinking! (NOT)
Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

At the time...

Absolutely nothing was a red flag. I had a damn good reason for everything.

When looking back...

One thing sticks out in my mind the most. I filled a syringe with vodka and injected it.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
hmm....

When i was a supervisor we were allowed 1 alcoholic drink with our lunch. I used to pull staff out to have lunch breaks with me and pretended I was the cool guy who let them have a little extra.
When I found the ones I could trust, we started having fun by squeezing as many hard liquer drinks as well as beer as possible in an hr.
I used to make out it was a special treat, where as I often did it on my own too! I would then spend the rest of the afternoon taking too many "cig breaks" not even smoking and nipping to the shop to neck some cans.
Then i'd get home, probably have a bottle of wine and a few more cans... and repeat.

I also used to do this crazy thing where i'd look at peoples eyes and try judge if they were big drinkers or not. If I thought they were, that would make me feel less bad about deciding to drink. Or I'd watch the same homeless people go past each day and think well he's still alive another day, that means its ok for me.
Rediculous.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
Went out of my way to get rid of my bottles far away from where my neighbors would see them.

Went to different liquor stores and paid cash so that people won't see me as a daily regular and my credit card company won't know (as if they cared).

That's actually a smart one: turned off my phones and computer before I started drinking so I won't call/email somebody during a blackout. It's harder to remember your passwords when you are no longer sure what your name is.

Shame, shame...
I've done that, turned off my phones and computer to try to prevent drunk dialing. I am glad you got better.

The stupidest things I've done, gosh. So many. I was on a business trip and was denied entry to the country because I had gotten very drunk and was very rude to customs agents. I was fired for that from a pretty good job. I lost boyfriends due to my drinking. I drunk texted one of my bosses. I got in a DUI car wreck. I'm ashamed even having to read those things I've done again. I skipped classes. I was warned at my current job to stop being late and missing work (I do that when I'm on a bender) or I'd be suspended. I hate myself thinking of all that sometimes.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
At the time...

Absolutely nothing was a red flag. I had a damn good reason for everything.

When looking back...

One thing sticks out in my mind the most. I filled a syringe with vodka and injected it.
Cant say that I would actually do that- but I also cant say that the thought never crossed my mind. Although, I did think a method like that would kill a person
Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I belong to a technical forum that costs money to belong to. there are several times I have woke up in the morning going noooo. Did I actually push the send button. It happened several times. You'd think after the first time or two I would learn, but I didn't. There are others on the forum that also have had this problem, but I don't believe any are as bad as me.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I would mix vodka with anything. Water bottles and Gatorade worked best, because no one would imagine that I had vodka in there. I'd even mix it with coffee, which thinking back to that taste makes me want to vomit.

I used to set up "decoy" drinks around the house when I was drinking. My wife knew that I would mix vodka with anything, so she would smell or sample a drink that I had sitting out. (normally I would hide them, but in a drunken state sometimes I would forget) So I wizened up and would pour a glass of soda or whatever and make like I was drinking that, so when she would sample it behind my back it was just a normal, alcohol-free drink. In reality I had my real drink hidden somewhere and would go to that when she wasn't paying attention.

One time I set a soda bottle (spiked with vodka, of course!) on the kitchen table and walked away to get something. When I came back I found my 8 year old son (to my horror) taking a sip out of it. He just made a funny face, gave me a weird, knowing look and walked away. What a shameful moment for me.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would drink Mouthwash. It was 40 proof. Tasted good and left your breath smelling minty. Raised no red flags if someone saw a bottle in your car, medicine cabinet, or desk. Unlike Beer or Liquor, you could buy it 24/7 from Drugstores. Can anyone say "Rock Bottom"?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

This is a great thread!!

I'd like to type all of mine, but my fingers get sore after 3 or 4 hours.

One that comes to mind, is it was winter in Saskatchewan here, very cold, and for whatever reason, rather than use the toilet, I thought I'd get some fresh air and pee on the step out front (in -25 deg celcius) So the next day, and for a day or 2 after, there was a nice big yellow frozen pool of pee on my concrete step to greet the family. I think I finally boiled some water and melted it away.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.................

Trust me.........this was one of the more "benign" red flags.............
Old 06-13-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Like a former poster, I knew where all the public bins were to get rid of my empties. Normally I didn't need to hide them but I stayed with my family for a few weeks (between rentals) and they thought I'd stopped drinking beer daily. I started buying champagne and wine as there's more alcohol for less bottles and I could smuggle the empties out of the house.

I think the biggest red flag for me was getting a DUI and then continuing to drive drunk for 6 more years. I stayed a lot closer to home, but it's still shocking and I hate myself for doing it.

I can't change the past though, only the future. The future sure looks brighter with some sober time.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
problem with authority

This had me laughing out loud...I can totally see this happening to me.

Originally Posted by Seekingsobriety View Post
This is a great thread!!

I'd like to type all of mine, but my fingers get sore after 3 or 4 hours.

One that comes to mind, is it was winter in Saskatchewan here, very cold, and for whatever reason, rather than use the toilet, I thought I'd get some fresh air and pee on the step out front (in -25 deg celcius) So the next day, and for a day or 2 after, there was a nice big yellow frozen pool of pee on my concrete step to greet the family. I think I finally boiled some water and melted it away.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.................

Trust me.........this was one of the more "benign" red flags.............
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Thank God I am sober today. I am so so so grateful.

Thank you God!

Cathy31
x
Old 06-13-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

lol

Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
This had me laughing out loud...I can totally see this happening to me.
I'm Irish too................hmm......................do you know what an Irish 7 course meal is?? A six pack of beer and a potato!!

I'd tell you other stories, but they ain't pretty
Old 06-13-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

The liquor/grocery store migration/ world-tour type behavior mentioned by oceanbound resonates with me in a big way. But instead of fooling anyone, I simply had four to five (or more) grocery and liquor store checkout people who were aware they were dealing with a wet alcoholic.

My final red flag was scary, and yet comical. This was my bottom/the day I decided to start taking AA and sobriety seriously from then on:
On my way out the door for work in the morning, I opened the garage to find a broken 32oz Miller bottle on the ground, my sweatpants (the ones I sometimes wear to bed) hanging half-in and half-out of the backseat window of my car, and my floormat COMPLETELY soaked with beer or urine or both.
It took me nearly 24 hours to figure out exactly what must have happened. That sh(garbage)it won't ever happen again!

-D
Old 06-13-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I use to fill the bottles with water after pouring in my glass, so no one would notice I took any out of bottle. Only after a day or two I was drinking almost all water. Total insanity. Thank you Jesus its not that way anymore.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

vodka in empty water bottles was a big one for me, and of course the hidden bottles around the house, sometimes it was hard to keep up with and remember where i put them--but a real bad one was when my sister had returned froma wkend of camping, and left a cooler out back--must have sat there for days and all of a sudden when i looked at it i realized there may be some beer in there---and there was, so of course i drank it, as nasty as it was---but i think my worst was back in the day when i had a bottle of vodka in my locker at school, don't know how i got away with it!!