Notices

Finally realized...

Old 06-05-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
I'm kind of convinced that if you work the 12 steps, the HP thing takes care of itself. It's an inevitable result, even if you don't want it.
I agree Keith and I think that's what Gravity probably meant...however, if you don't get into the 12 steps you won't discover this.

I'm used to telling newcomers (and reminding myself - when I get wobbly) of the 5 pillars of recovery : Meetings, (Fellowhsip) Sponsor, Stepwork, Service and Higher Power. It's a handy checklist for when I'm feeling off kilter - then I run through in my minds which of the pillars am I neglecting?

When I work all 5 life is beyond speech beautiful. When I don't it's not. Simple really.

Cathy31
x
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
AA meetings are a kick, I love them.

There are two major learning points you can get from people in meetings:

- How you WANT to be...

- How you DO NOT WANT to be...

Be prepared to encounter some bad examples in meetings, learn from them, watch that you don't make the mistakes they make. Too many newcomers go to a meeting or two, encounter some people they don't like, and never go back. Dive in with an attitude of 'acceptance' of where other people are at in their recovery. Remember that no one is there because they didn't have any problems.

As much as I want to see everyone's recovery flourish, I know that seeing & hearing bad examples is good for me, because it reminds me of where I DO NOT want to go or be. I am only one drink away from being a bad example myself.

Let us know how you like the AA meetings, I find them fascinating.
I like listening to everyone's stories, but it's a little confusing when they start talking about steps. Oh, and especially when they talk about how important it is to meditate.

I know this stuff might come in time, but it makes the whole process seem very daunting. :brick
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Cathy31 View Post
Gravity, I am sure you didn't mean to leave out what is unequivocably the most important 5th aspect : Higher Power!

Cathy31
x
I agree. My Higher Power is the essence of, well, everything!

I am trying to relate that for me AA is a path that includes the 12 steps, a sponsor, meetings, and the fellowship - each very important in their own right and they work together to attain the vision. The steps are the critical and necessary core. The help of other alcoholics makes everything so much easier.

Where this path has taken me:

Day 1 sober: Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair

Today, 17 1/2 months sober: No thoughts of drinking, learning to rely on my Higher Power, learning to trust that everything will be okay.

Littlebluedog (cool screen name ), I know it can seem daunting but try not to get ahead of yourself (I know the feeling - I remember the first days of my sobriety vividly). Another day sober, another meeting, and getting a sponsor are huge accomplishments.

Life gets so much better.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I know this stuff might come in time, but it makes the whole process seem very daunting.
Yes it will, & time takes time. It took time for the drink to kick my butt, that did not happen over night, it has taken me time to recover as well.

I wanted it all over night and it did not happen, but as it says in the 10th step promises for some it comes quickly, for others slowly, but it will always materialize if we keep working for them!

Stay in the day, take it all one day and one step at a time.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

hello again lbd,,what gravity said is so true,you have a sponsor,they will explain everything to you.dont try and fill your head with too much (hard sometimes i know) what i found with my sponsor was i just did as i was told,i trust my hp and believe my sponsor and i were meant to meet,no coincidences! i had spent so many years doing things my way and it turning out a complete mess! so like i said,i put complete faith in Him upstairs and follow directions from my sponsor,,waiting to hear your next instalment!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Nice to see you LBD...

Don't have much to add... you are making lots of good choices.

We had two first timers at our meeting last night. We talked for a while after the meeting. Initially it is all overwhelming... Advice that I heard last night that really resonated with me was... just don't drink (obvious, I know) and get some time between you and the drink.... Things will start to clarify.

Keep posting!

Mark
Old 06-05-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Went to another meeting today. It was a smaller group...and I actually spoke. Not like my whole story or anything, but just about how alcohol quit being fun, and how it is starting to turn on me and affect my body and mind. Felt good to actually do it. Going back tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your progress......
Blessings to you and your husband
Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add this real quickly; I keep having dreams that I've started drinking again. Like last night, I dreamed that I was taking shots of vodka w/ old friends, only to feel horribly guilty and ashamed, but then an overwhelming sense of relief when I woke.

Last edited by littlebluedog; 06-06-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: sp
Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

lbd,,drinking dreams can be common,ive had a couple and glad to say the last one i had i was at a party and every time i got a drink i turned around and the drink was gone! so i didnt drink anything,,remember its just a dream! ive even heard of people getting what feels like a hangover.if you have had booze as the b all and end all of your life for a while then its not unusual,,like i said,,,its only a dream! let us know how your next meeting and time with your sponsor goes!
Old 06-06-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Taking my husband to an open meeting tonight. He decided not to go to the concert as well.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Old 06-10-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

hello lbd,,hows things going???