Notices

Am I an alcoholic?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I an alcoholic?

I am a first time poster seeking advice for my drinking problem. I saw a post earlier talking about either being a hard drinker or an alcoholic. Here is my best description of myself. Any opinions are welcomed.

I have had a problem with not knowing when to stop drinking since I started drinking when I was 15 years old for recreational use. I never had a taste for beer but once I acquired a taste for liquors like whiskey or vodka I could drink them very easily. I have never really enjoyed the drinking part rather I enjoyed the end result more (hammered). I may have one drink occasionally during the week but I usually don't get drunk because I have to get up and go to work in the morning during the week. But then comes the weekend and usually on Friday and sometimes on Saturday I drink and I lose control of when to stop. I find myself infuriated when someone tries to take the booze away or hide it from me. I never feel the buzz coming and by the time I do it is too late because I am usually hammered or sober, no real in betweens for me. I have never been able to get drunk off the light stuff like beer or malt stuff because my stomach gets full and makes me cut off my drinking contrary to the liquor which I drink until I black out or pass out. I consider myself an "enhancement drinker" because I have seen normal activities that I like to be that much more fun with a buzz or being drunk. I used to use marijuana but found alcohol to be the easier legal substitute. I don't find myself wanting a drink during the week normally but when the weekend comes I do find myself wanting booze. What should I do? Should I try to cut back to beer or stop completely? Any advice is appreciated for a humble first time poster seeking honest advice.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Welcome to SR!

The rote reply is "only you can determine whether you're an alcoholic." You seem to think there's a problem, though, and that's what counts. I certainly identified a LOT with your description of yourself: losing control of amounts, the "all or nothing" effect, blacking/passing out, drinking for the effect... All big red flags. Whatever label you use, it's a dangerous lifestyle.

My two cents: I could never cut back. I am not physically/psychologically capable of having "just one." For me, the only viable option was total sobriety. I've been sober almost a year and a half now, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Best of luck.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are in the early stages of Alcoholism. Since Alcoholism is progressive and always gets worse (never gets better) you seem to be at an early stage where you see the benefits outweighing the consequences. If you choose to continue to drink that will change over time. The negative consequesnces will accelerate and become disastrous eventually. The rate at which this happens (sometimes takes years) is different for different people and environments. It is save to say that liquor makes that journey shorter. You just need to decide if you want to quit entirely now (I don't think cutting back is an option for you at this point) or wait until you suffer enough bad things happening that you hit rock bottom and decide to get sober. Some people wait until they are eating out of a dumpster before they get there. Some people die and never get there. Your "need for enhancement" is your biggest psychological hurdle to overcome and you may need help (AA) with that. However the further you go into Alcoholism the exponentially more difficult it gets to quit. You have a great opportunity to quit while the getting is good. It's up to you if you take it.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Clay,

Not sure how old you are but in my early to mid 20s, I was not getting drunk every day, and mostly concentrated myself to weekend binge drinking for my benders. Then I graviated over time into an intense alcoholic over the years getting buzzed or drunk almost every day. I have found in myself alcoholism to be progressive in nature, in that it gets worse.

Only you can honestly say if you are an alcoholic. If people around you are trying to take away your booze that suggests you have a major problem. Also, blackouts can easily lead to destructive behaviour, like a fight that gets someone killed or seriously wounded, or a DWI where someone other than the driver gets injured or killed. It's by luck ad luck only I have not ended up in jail or killed for the before mentioned

Everytime you drink to blackout stages there is a chance you can end up in jail or dead. That is just a fact of life.

Also, I can tell you first hand sticking to "beer only" is damn near impossible if you like the hard stuff. I am the same way, and found myself buying a case of beer to moderate, only to drink four cans and head to the liquor store for a bottle of Vodka. I made the decision in my life to drink beer only no less than 25 times. All 25 times I went back to the hard stuff. Sometimes within one day of such proclimations and always within a week.

If you are an alcoholic, you will begin make other promises, such has drinking only on weekends, at dinner, vacations only, only at holidays, only at parties, etc... It's been my experience they always fail. At least they did with me.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're the only one who can answer that question. But since you're asking for an opinion, here's mine. You cannot stop drinking once you start. Bad sign. Indicates powerlessness over alcohol. You drink for effect. Bad sign. You have blackouts. Bad sign.
You're considering cutting back on your drinking. Very bad sign. A normal person would never consider the need to cut back. I'd bet that you are an alcoholic. You ought to try AA as Rad has suggested. You'll get a lot of support there, and will also find the answer to your question. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Clay. SR is an awesome place, I give a lot of credit to this site for my recovery. I thank all who post here.

Honestly, nothing and I mean nothing good came from my drinking. Cutting back and moderation was a waste of time and money for me, reverted quickly to my old ways.

I wish I had tried living sober many, many years ago. I actually enjoy life now... even life's trials and tribulations are tolerable and now dealt with appropriately and effectively.

I wish you the best sir.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR......

Let's look at some facts...then you can decide where you
are and perhaps ...where you are heading.

Progression of Alcoholism

Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
Old 05-17-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

And......please read this link for more information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

You don't have to be an alcoholic to stop drinking
a toxin.......alcohol does damage to everyone.

Good to know you are condiering your future....
Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Clay.

That's a pretty good description of your drinking there and I relate to much of it.

We are guided in our suggestions/experiences to you by what we've learned and read in the book Alcoholics Anonymous; "We do not like to brand any individual as an alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself."

What are red flags for me is that you seem to lose control of booze once you start to drink. You seem to have some control so far... as to staying stopped for a time based on what's necessary... by waiting for the weekend to drink. Your not liking the taste of beer or whatever is of no consequence really. You, like many of us, like the effects produced by alcohol.

The question for you to find out is whether you're a hard drinker or a potential alcoholic. As Carol says, the way you drink doesn't sound like moderate or social drinking, so it's dangerous or at least not good for you.

The hard drinker can stop or sometimes moderate, given a sufficient reason. The safest test for you would be to just stay stopped on your own and try to quit for something like a year. If you can do that, that's better than most of us could do.

There is a story about a guy in the book who put the booze away and got ahead in his career and once he retired, out came the bottle and his slippers, after 25 years of not drinking. He thought time qualified him to be able to control and enjoy his drinking again (or if ever), which is the "Great obsession" of every "abnormal drinker". He died in about 4 years.

If you can't seem to be able to do that or fear you might be an alcoholic, you may want to get a book if you haven't already and start reading it. Read up to about page 33 and maybe go to meetings and ask for help in "qualifying" or identify with whether you're a hard drinker or the real alky. Keep an open mind though. Realize some will feel it's their job to "label" you an alcoholic. It's a hard thing finding that line between the hard drinker and the real alcoholic.

If you find yourself in real trouble with booze, I'd call someone from AAs central office and arrange a meeting with a couple of people from AA. A couple of recovered alcoholics, armed with the facts about themselves can really help you with your 1st step or perhaps whether you need AA or not.

AA is the best solution for alcoholics in my opinion, but I hear there are other paths.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
AA is the best solution for alcoholics in my opinion, but I hear there are other paths.
This makes me bristle, but I won't drag the thread off-track.

Clay, you can also look up SMART or LifeRing meetings in your area, attend SR or AA meetings online, or read up on addiction (books like Under the Influence are often recommended) to help yourself decide whether you're an alcoholic or not. Don't be afraid to explore all your options.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Clay
My vote says you probably are. BUT I'm newly sober, and if I see someone with a beer at 1 in the afternoon I look upon them(hah an alcy). My perception is very distorted. This isn't something that happens overnight.
I think it's very good that you joined this sight. I think you should hang out here, and see what some of us go through trying to quit. Your perception could be very distorted also. Booze twists the mind where all it wants is more booze. It tends to block out the bad things, and cover them up with excuses. (thier drinking so can I) (this activity is sooo much more fun when drinking).
It blocks out all the wasted money,time,hangovers and all the other stuff.
Just my opinion Fred
Old 05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
This makes me bristle, but I won't drag the thread off-track.
Bristle, huh? Bristle with antagonism? You must be an anti-AAer or just found an easier softer way. Good for you. But I don't know why my suggestion of taking the AA approach would make anyone bristle, unless you think AA is damaging or something.

To the OP, if you could find a good "Closed AA" meeting, those folks will be most open-minded to not branding you as an alcoholic like they mention in the book.

It's good to not be afraid to explore your options, but there's a bunch of people with experience out there that can help you determine if you might be alky or not. Like I've mentioned in other threads, the AA meetings I've been to (except for some jail meetings and the State Hospital meeting), these places don't lock the doors during the meeting.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like AA too, for me it makes the most sense.

I agree with McGowdog. Get a "Big Book", the real title is simply "Alcoholic's Anonymous". You can get one at a meeting, but most major book stores sell it also, though for at least twice what you'd pay at AA. There are many other good books out there... Carol linked you to excerpts from an excellent one.

But I really like how the Big Book guides you through hard drinker vs. alcoholic. Down to earth, practical.

Tellus mentioned some other recovery paths that work well for many people, you can learn about them here as well.

Welcome to SR!!

Mark
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually you can check it out and read the AA Big Book on line:

Big Book On Line

Might help you make up your mind whether you are or are not an alcoholic at this time and whether you are or are not heading toward crossing the line of no return.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-17-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank everyone so much for the warm welcomes and all the useful information. To be frank an incident happened last Friday night that I am not proud of. Nothing major (not criminal or life threatening) just shameful. I went to an AA meeting this weekend at the suggestion of my brother (recovered Alcoholic sober for one year now) and I just sat and listened without letting them know I was a newcomer. My brother was a doctor that virtually had drug reps force feeding him all the free booze he wanted at dinners the reps took him out to. Needless to say his drinking escalated very fast because it was so readily available to him and he fears the same thing happening to his little bro. I am 23 years old and I hate to admit it but I dont like the idea of NEVER having alcohol EVER again. Which is what scares me about AA. I want to get control of my drinking before it gets control of me if it hasn't already.

I have made a pact with myself to not touch a drop for a month without any outside help except the help of people on this site. I would go for longer but I am getting married in a month and I am going on an All Inclusive honeymoon with free booze and food and I feel that the temptation in that situation will be too much for me to bare.
I am trying to make a vow to myself to never drink straight liquor again. Only beer or a fruity mixed drink with very little liquor in it after my month vow is over and I go on my honeymoon. If I slip again after that it will more than likely be AA for me.

Thanks again for all the great responses. I will be checking back regularly for all other suggestions. Please pray for me and I hope my plan for myself will work. If not, I will be headed to AA. I will be on here plenty when I feel myself slipping.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Clay,
You are lucky to have this chance to take a look at your alcoholism, while in it's early stages. You can save your life from complete ruin if you stop drinking.

Quitting for 30 days is solid plan. Checking out AA meetings is another fantastic idea.

Alcoholism is progressive, and the end result is death, jail or institution. Getting sober is the only successful way of beating alcoholism.

The only advice I can give you is to be very careful with alcohol....if it's burned you once, it'll burn you again.

I hope you keep us posted on your 30 day experiment. I did the same thing, but I expanded the 30 days into almost 4 years. The way I stay sober is "one day at a time". This works for others, and it could work for you.

I hope you find something here, at SR, that can help you in your journey.
chip
Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Clay, I think it is great you are evaluating your situation. I could not tell you if you are alcoholic. The reality is that most young people abuse alcohol. The type of drinking you are doing is the type of drinking almost everyone I knew in college did. The difference is most of them settled down and really don't drink anymore. I got into a routine of drinking and never really considered its dangers. I think the 30 day plan is a great one. I basically did the same thing. It has turned into 90 days so far and I will drink when and if I choose to. The whole never drinking again freaked me out too until I decided to take it one day at a time and go for thirty days. Now, I am able to drink, but just have not wanted to.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Clay

I am 23 years old and I hate to admit it but I dont like the idea of NEVER having alcohol EVER again. Which is what scares me about AA. I want to get control of my drinking before it gets control of me if it hasn't already.
I think every drinker who realises, or even suspects, they have a problem ends up here at the 'I just wanna control it' point at some stage...it's normal.

I have made a pact with myself to not touch a drop for a month without any outside help except the help of people on this site. I would go for longer but I am getting married in a month and I am going on an All Inclusive honeymoon with free booze and food and I feel that the temptation in that situation will be too much for me to bare.
Thirty days is good - 90 would be better - 6 months even better. A lot of drinkers can isolate their drinking to certain times. I did so for 7 years or so drinking only at weekends, but when I did drink I really let go. I made up for the rest of the week really.

I am trying to make a vow to myself to never drink straight liquor again. Only beer or a fruity mixed drink with very little liquor in it after my month vow is over and I go on my honeymoon. If I slip again after that it will more than likely be AA for me.
well, spirits, beer, wine, wine coolers...it's all the same, Clay. There's no better or worse kind of alcohol. I nearly killed myself on beer.

I am glad you have a plan if things get worse tho. Like others have said here, there's a variety of recovery programmes...if you ever need it, check out this link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

congratulations on yr upcoming wedding too!
D
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by claydoh86 View Post
I have made a pact with myself to not touch a drop for a month..I am trying to make a vow to myself to never drink straight liquor again. Only beer or a fruity mixed drink with very little liquor in it after my month vow is over and I go on my honeymoon.
Others have posted the AA take on your question. I would add that you might want to take a look at Chapter 3 in AA's Big Book if these things don't work out for you. The first couple of pages talks about various methods alcoholics have tried to control their drinking, the end result being that alcoholics can not control their drinking. Don't mistake being dry for a month as proof. Most of us can hold our breath for a month, with or without treatment.

I hate to say it, because I'm a stickler for the AA descriptions, but Carol's posted synopsis of alcoholism stages decribed my progression pretty well. Took years to work my way through it, but when it went full bore, it went full bore astonishingly quickly.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Clay, I hate to say this, but I think you're sticking your head in the sand. Your problem isn't going to go away after a 30 period of abstinence. And as Dee said, it's all pretty much the same. Alcohol is actually ethanol and whether it come from a can of beer, a glass of wine, or a bottle of vodka, it's still ethanol. I think you're setting yourself up for a big fall, and I hope you survive the sudden stop at the bottom. Remember what I said earlier, normal people don't think about trying to control their drinking. They don't have to.