Notices

How much did you drink when you quit?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well that's what it's all about for me now.

Party sober till you puke eh? I'd prob puke because I'd have to party sober ahgahga.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good friend of mine from New Mexico always says that.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Well i respect that DWI, i did the same 4 nights ago, but no way you will ever here out of my mouth any justification for drinking any amount if you are an alcoholic. Yeah that makes me a hypocrite at the moment i guess! I've met a lot of people, mostly men i have to say, that just love company and love to compare themself to the poor guy at the end of the bar who is in very poor health still downing his booze, saying "AT LEAST I'M NOT AS BAD AS HIM"...sip sip! Unfortunately these sort of men/women will always love your company as long as you are struggling! And these are not just alcoholics who do this! Pathetic!
Eventually you will be that sad person at the end of the bar unless u take an honest look at yourself sometime, you will get there, just chatting here makes you a part of it!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Reading a couple of these makes me feel like a lightweight with my 5th or pint of Bacardi a day. It actually makes me feel better that others out there drink more than me but I agree its not how much you drink its when you know you need help
Old 05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Leslie83 View Post
Reading a couple of these makes me feel like a lightweight with my 5th or pint of Bacardi a day. It actually makes me feel better that others out there drink more than me but I agree its not how much you drink its when you know you need help
Good thing you consider yourself a feather weight! Then you can see (from reading posts around SR) how serious and dangerous can it get if you move to the Heavyweight category. Still a pint of rum a day is a f*ckload of booze - i assume you might already had a few K.O´s in the battle with the bottle.

Hope you and everyone is having a nice Friday
Old 05-15-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I never really kept count. It got to the point where either I was drunk, asleep or in withdrawal. That was my life, at times. Literally laying in the bed drinking until I would fall pass out or fall asleep then wake up in withdrawal only to start over again. Misery. I'm only 14 days sober, but I sincerely pray that I never go back to that way of life again.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum

Leslie83.....

Benjamin33....

Good to see you here with us
Old 05-16-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

As the years of drinking began to pile up, my poor liver didn't need as much booze to get the same effect. In my younger days, I would sometimes get a GALLON of hard liquor (along with my beer & weed,) & "enjoy" the weekend. Towards the end, a four-pack & a pint of JD "was all" I needed. EVERYDAY. Two shots of booze and I was already slurring........
Old 05-17-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

sounds like war stories to me, lets just say one was to many and a 1,000 not enough.I once met a young girl at an a.a. meeting who joined our group because drank and drove one time, some made light of her but I said I wshed I had been as smart as sheand told the rest shut up. sssShe had the desire to quit and tha was enough.I am definetly old school.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Curious. To my knowledge, AA has never defined the alcoholic by the consequences they experienced, only by the physical and mental response. Can you elaborate?
I think the poster meant was that AA originally only dealt with 'rock bottom' cases, like Dr. Bob and Bill W, those who had lost nearly everything except their lives. Not to say that others weren't welcome, but I guess it was difficult to appeal to those who hadn't reached the point that the original members had reached. That changed, obviously, and the Big Book mentions all of it.