Notices

How much did you drink when you quit?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I don't know, it really is to most an irrelevant question, but to OP it must have mattered. If this is not being used to reinforce the "i am not that bad" denial, then this is a terrible thread
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
9/15/08

@ Rufus

It doesn't matter.

But that shouldn't preclude anyone from discussing it.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
I don't know, it really is to most an irrelevant question, but to OP it must have mattered. If this is not being used to reinforce the "i am not that bad" denial, then this is a terrible thread
I already mentioned why it mattered to me, but I will say again, that it helps keep me out of denial when I see that there are also others here who drank the same amount or less and still felt they needed to stop. For whatever reason, and perhaps I am delusional, I figured others like me might find that useful, too.

But, I agree with everyone here who says that the amount doesn't matter because, as most of us have figured out, this is a progressive disease. I truly believe that the only difference between myself and the person who drank more is that I haven't let it get to that yet.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I find those surveys to be very interesting. I remember seeing how much drinking went on in college and according to those surveys, most college students either have drinking problems or are alcoholics. I think the one thing the surveys do not address is whether someone is powerless over alcohol. I am sure there are many people that have drank more than 14 drinks in a week, blacked out, hooked up with someone they normally would not have and are still not alcoholics. I have two friends from college that used to drink like fish and now they are married with families and rarely drink. Me on the other hand am a different story. As the years went by my drinking went from just weekends to almost everyday. I can pass the bar test and I have not drank in the last 11 weeks. I am still unsure whether I will drink again, but do know that it was and may always be a problem.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Looking back at it now I am realizing how much I actually drank and at the time I felt like it was not that much. I would drink like 2 bottles of wine a night and still manage to go to the shops and buy some more drinks. The next day would be the same. Weekends I would drink all weekend and during the day, and then go out or go to a friends place and play drinking games. I usually would start drinking at around 11am.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

As a as I can remember, I think we had about 4 cases of bottled beers that time. The feeling that I was having that time was not good at all because I was no longer myself. I was vomiting a lot and I said to myself that I would never again drink alcohol as long as I live.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Rufus,

The amount I drank is very relavent. I think the amount I drank is critical to my defining myself as an alcoholic. Basically, I drank all I had. I drank until I ran out, then I got more regardless of how drunk I was. The only thing that kept me from drinking more was passing out. Or a jail cell.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I don't really know how much I was drinking because every day was different and some days it more,others less but this much I can say: I was drinking all the time it seemed. Once the daily drinking routine started, there was one after another after another drink(s) in my hand...

My body had become an alcohol processing plant, that's how it felt.

Towards the end, I started losing track of having an open beer or a mixed drink I had just made, I'd start one, set it down, and then open or make another one. Then I'd be double fisting. I would just drink and drink for hours on normal days, i.e. week nights. Then weekends I'd get extra loaded usually because I could start earlier and go later. Then in addition to that, there was all the binge drinking I would do at concerts, sporting events, parties, and even competitive drinking such as beer pong and other bravado with old Army buddies.

Life was just an endless series of drinks.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Too much.
I used to always say if God hadn't blessed me with a very weak stomach I'd be a "full blown alcoholic" whatever that meant. I'd drink for maybe 6 hours on a Friday night then again on Saturday night and be sick for the next 3-4 days.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I drank a lot before getting sober. But not every day and never before 11AM so I can't be an Alcoholic or so I thought.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Just my two cents here, AA started out defining the alcoholic as a low bottom person who would lose it all to drink: the job, the family, the car. But this changed as more people came into the program who hadn't lost it all but who were undoubtedly suffering and their lives were unmanageable.
That is why there are references to "high bottom", "low bottom"....it's not the same bottom for everyone, but it's still bottom.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Rufus,

The amount I drank is very relavent. I think the amount I drank is critical to my defining myself as an alcoholic. Basically, I drank all I had. I drank until I ran out, then I got more regardless of how drunk I was. The only thing that kept me from drinking more was passing out. Or a jail cell.
That was my story too, unfortunately. Drinking anything I had and if I didn't pass out then stagger out the door to get more. I'm glad I didn't have to drive to get to the store...
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I drank a case of beer a day, then I went to the store at about 3am to get more. My husband would ofte carry my passed out ass to bed and I had no recolection of how I got there, what did I say, did we argue? Then, I would get up when he was asleep call ,my friends, that were really not friends get some coke and continue to drink all night long. My husband would pick up the household. Until I missed my son's pta fundraiser because I was too wired and messed up to show up. Rock bottom for me. But if you put any substance in front of me and there would be no consequences for me and not hurt anyone (a free pass) that bottle would be gone in a heartbeat. I am an alchoholic! Help me accept it and deal . . .
Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Just my two cents here, AA started out defining the alcoholic as a low bottom person who would lose it all to drink: the job, the family, the car.
Curious. To my knowledge, AA has never defined the alcoholic by the consequences they experienced, only by the physical and mental response. Can you elaborate?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I was drinking a fair bit on and off when I quit nearly a month ago. I would drink probably 5 days a week one week and 6 the next. Week nights I drank up to 12 high strength stubbies of beer, and on weekends between 12 and 18.

There were occasions where I drank more or less, but that was about what I would call normal for me.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

How much did you drink when you quit?

How much did you drink when you quit? None.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
How much did you drink when you quit? None.
lol
Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Well isn't that what the OP meant?

What I drank before I quit, that's another animal. Enough to make the cops think I was trying to kill myself. When you scare the cops, but not yourself, you just might have a problem.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well isn't that what the OP meant?

What I drank before I quit, that's another animal. Enough to make the cops think I was trying to kill myself. When you scare the cops, but not yourself, you just might have a problem.
lolol you're funny I know that smiley doesn't fit this reply, but I like it lol
Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Well that's what it's all about for me now.