Notices

Hi Im new

Old 04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hello serenity,nice to meet you.you said you need to stop drinking,but do you WANT to? if you do then i suggest getting to as many AA meetings as possible! im new in recovery and AA has saved my life.one day at a time.dont hink of giving up your drinking as a lifelong thing,none of us know how long that is anyway! just for today hun.it makes it so much easier to keep it in the day.already my life has changed so much i cannot express my gratitude enough.i too went did alot of shameful things,my temper was horendous,i did lots and lots of things that i would never do while sober,but by going to AA i am getting my life back on track and its a wonderful gift.i never thought that just getting up on a morning and making coffee would be so delightful! but it is great to be free from the booze.i have a 16 yr old daughter that has lived with my sister for 4 yrs,because of my drinking.if things arnt bad enough now they WILL get worse.give AA your best shot and you will get your life back.you are in my prayers.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey I just want to say Hi and what you are doing is great. I'm also new and getting sober off pain pills.
The only advice I can share is to take it one day at a time, one minute at a time, or even one second at a time if thats as far into the future you can think of not using/drinking.
And I've been trying AA and NA and LOVE the meetings and the people. I definately suggest giving these meetings a try. Even if you don't like the first few, keep going back. You won't regret it. And what is there to lose.
I have a 2 year old and I'm happy to hear that someone else out there is going through some of the same things I am as a mom.
Good luck to you.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

thanks for all the support! I will go to AA prob tomorrow. I know it will help. There is also a sober moms meet up group by my house I think Im going to join that eventually as well to meet other sober moms.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

One more thing: Take your son with you to meetings, And have the attitude I've picked up from other moms: People would rather have you and your son at the meetings than to not have you there at all. I take my 2 year old with me to all my meetings. If anyone has a prolbem with it, its their problem
Old 04-13-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

yikes, my son is pretty hyper! I dont think he would be ok w it. Its just a busy week Im moving on Wed...Tom my ex is takin him early so I can prob do a meeting around 1 pm or later....there are a lot in newport, I wwent to many (court ordered, 2 dui's), but never felt the VIBE I guess for it..then went to one (willingly) about a year ago and hated it!!! There were about 100 ppl there, all dif stories this one chick seemed all cracked out cursing the whole time, telling BIZARRE stories!!! I felt like I didnt fit in at all. I think I need a place for women/moms! If that makes sense....
Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Serenity, pick up a Big Book and read the first 164 pages. Start thinking of this as a plan to save your life. It is easier to see the similarities if you are not looking for the differences. I know that regret and self loathing you speak of. You never have to feel that way again. The shame and guilt I felt was overwhelming. What freedom to have not felt that impending doom in 11 months.
You can do this!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Serenity,

Welcome!!! Hey I understand what it is like getting sober and divorced at the same time... It's not easy but it can be done. I don't know what I would have done without my fellow A.A.'s who were ALWAYS there for me. You can do it, ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Congratulations on recognizing your problems and taking steps to address it.

Wishing you miles of smiles,

John
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi serenity, I hope you go to A.A too. It worked for me. I also had a small child when I started out on my journey, and now at college. It was so worth it. Its important to be there for our children but first you must get well or you will just pass on sickness.
Be there for yourself right now and get those meetings. The program of A.A works if you work it. Get a couple or at least one phone number of a strong woman at your group.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much Im looking at the web site right now for a meeting today or tomorrow
Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

good for you keep us posted...
Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Serenity. The AA meeting would really help you, and it is one of the best solutions to your alcohol problem. Also, you might want to consider the welfare of your son, it's because if you let alcoholism ruin your life, then who would look after and take care of him? By now, you are probably experiencing difficulties in your life, but don't worry because we are here to advice you and hear your grievances.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi again Serenity, You keep saying tomorrow you'll go to an AA meeting. Well GO!
Stop putting it off. I know you're a little uncomfortable and have had a few bad moments at meetings before, but there are loads of them out there and all you have to do is keep trying different ones until you find some you like. We've all been through the same thing. Now get up and GO!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am going to try and go tomorrow, but Im moving tomorrow, if not then for sure Thurs. I really want help and want to change my life and not have to live regretting so many things and feeling guilty about what I have done
Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I remember taking my 3 year old to meetings with me. My Out To Lunch Bunch took me into their arms and graciously allowed my little girl to eat the cookies while I got the help I really needed. The people at that meeting hold a special place in my heart. The old timers are still there and my girls are both in school during the day so I can go to meetings alone, but the OTLB folks still ask after my girls.

I became a different kind of Mom after I got clean and sober. My temper was tamed, my heart started to heal and life seemed to get better day by day. I learned that I didn't have to be the perfect wife, or mother. I just had to be a clean and sober one and praciting the principles of AA/NA in my life helped me to be a better human and that helped me immensely. I am so greatful for the OTLB and AA. My marriage got better too. My husband didn't think I had a problem but I knew I did. When he started to see me really embrace AA he became a different person too. I'm sure if I hadn't gotten help then I would be divorced and living alone as he would have made sure that he had custody of the kids.

Life is so awesome today, not perfect..I still have days and even weeks that aren't perfect. I still can't get my kids to do everything I want/need them to do and my husband and I still have disagreements, but today none of those things have anything to do with addiction, just with recovery.

Welcome, you are not alone.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks...looking back it was my drinking that ended my marriage. I would drink, get into arguments etc w my ex, do such stupid things, call names, break things. I wish I would have made this step last year so my marriage would have been possibly saved.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well, here it. Thursday. Did you get to a meeting today?