Notices

Hi Im new

Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Hi Im new

Im new to this forum. I am 28 and decided to stop drinking. I have considered it many times and quit for a week at a time or so. I have a 3 yr old son and alcohol is ruining my life. I am going thru a very painful divorce and I find myself drinking too much and doing things I regret and sayingthings i regret as well. I have been so depressed and anxious all day. I am so scared and thinking about never drinking again seems so overwhelming. Anyways, if you can offer any advice on where I go from here and where to start please help me and let me know. Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. Have you ever been to an AA meeting?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome Serenity!
You came to to the right place!
Stick around, read the stickies at the top.
Yup, my advice is to find some support. I find that in the rooms of AA. My peeps, lol
Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been because of my DUI. I recently went to one a few months ago just to seeif its what I should do but I didnt feel like I fit in. I am going to try and look for a womans AA meeting or something. I just feel so alone and overwhelmed...I keep trying to think I can drink normally but sooner than later, usually sooner, I end up drinking way too much and doing something stupid, embarrassing, hazardous etc...ughh I just feel so anxious today
Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

After I quit drinking, I felt anxious for several weeks.
Quit drinking. Gets lots of sleep, take a multivitamin, drink tons of water, eat healthy, etc.
Be kind to yourself.
I did not fit in at my first meeting either. Womens meeting are a great idea. I went to a meeting every day for the first 30 days and in that 30 days I found the meetings where I am comfortable and fit in.
Jump in with both feet. You have nothing to lose. And a whole new wonderful life to gain!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the support Im going to try and find a womans AA meeting somewhere tomorrow! It just seems so huge right now! I feel so guilty thinking about the way I have acted when I was drunk. I am so involved with my son and so good with him and I just feel like the drinking side of me I am so ashamed of.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I drank over having feelings of guilt/shame/remorse...over and over again. I am glad I no longer have to do live that way anymore. We do recover.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks! I dont drink everyday and I use that and the fact I went to college, graduated, had a child and have held jobs as my excuse as to why im NOT an alcoholic but in reality I always drink before events and drink more when people dont see to "catch up" (if that makes sense), and the main reason I am deciding to quit is because of my temper. I have always had a temper but it gets so much worse when I am drinking. I think my divorce is bc of my drinking I lost my temper one night and my husband and i got in a fight and I literally broke a plasma tv and laptop and tore up pictures (like a crazy person), if I was sober i never would have done those things. I also got in an argument with my mom recently and broke the glass in her coffee table. I am scared to drink bc I am afraid I will do something worse one day and break something irreplacable or possibly get in trouble.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again....
I replied to your post in Newcomers and I am glad you
decided to join us here in Alcoholism too.

The good thing is your son is so young..
.he never has to know a Mom who drinks.
A happier calmer Mom.

In early AA recovery....I considered the meetings
were like classrooms for living well and sober.
The more I attended...the quicker I learned....

All my best...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I went to college, graduated, had a child also, and have never lost a job---but I am an alcoholic. I too on a few occasions got angry and tore up personal belongings, but that didn't mean I was alcoholic.

What I learned about myself..or how it was presented to me in AA was to ask myself two questions--(1) "If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, (2) or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic."

No one else can say whether or not you are alcoholic....we must each determine that for ourselves..on an individual basis. Keep reaching out. You are not alone.

The above quote taken from AA Big Book First Edition
Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. I have only been coming to this forum for a couple of weeks and already have made some good friends here. I wish you well! Please try AA, it works.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Welcome to SR
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family!:ghug3 Since I've been sober I've got my self respect back and the respect of my kids too. I am able to do what I need to do, without alcohol interfering. I no longer feel ashamed of myself. There are so many good things about being sober and not even one good thing about drinking.

I'm glad you found us! Keep coming back. Lots of support and understanding here.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm still in the early phase of recovery again myself and it can be hard day to day with questioning if your doing the right thing, or what you are "missing" by not drinking. But when you wake up in the morning the next day and can get right out of bed and do things with your son and face the day without having to wonder what you did last night, and not feel hung over all day, then you KNOW it's well worth doing and your not missing anything at all besides problems.

I am so scared and thinking about never drinking again seems so overwhelming
Try not to look at it as never drinking again. Simply look at it as getting through TODAY without drinking and then deal with tomorrow when that gets here. I still have to remind myself of that every day. But if you look at it like that then it makes things a lot easier on you.

Welcome!

Steve
Old 04-08-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! today has been good. Just busy running errands. Im going to try to get to an AA meeting tom just hard with my son.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

:ghug3 hiya, I hope you catch that meeting
Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Serenity. Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Here is a site that will give you AA meetings in the Newport Beach Area:

Alcoholics Anonymous (A. A.) Meetings in Newport Beach, California

Lots and lots of meetings. I know, I got sober in the San Fernando Valley of LA County, but I and my sober friends used to hit meetings from Malibu all the way to San Diego, lol and I know there are tons and tons in your area. The list will be a great place for you to start.

Hope that helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!

Your son is going to benefit Big Time from having a sober mom. There is no bigger gift.

I applaud you for getting your act together NOW. It took me 30 years. Please don't do that to your boy.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Its just been a bad week. Im really depressed today. I drank yesterday on Easter and had a major blow out with my ex and my mom. I NEED to stop drinking. I am so depressed I just want to turn off my phone and hide under the covers...I cant stop crying
Old 04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Serenity and welcome. You really need to get into AA. There are a lot of meetings in your area so finding some you like shouldn't be a problem. And you need to go to a lot of meetings early on. Ask some other woman to be your temporary sponsor. Get a bunch of phone numbers and start calling other alcoholics. You're not alone in this, believe me. But you can't put it off. And start taking it one day at a time. Don't worry about tomorrow, just handle today and concentrate on not drinking today. I say two prayers daily, the first asking God to help me during the day and the second thanking him for keeping me sober that day. Sort of a "please" and "thank you" approach. We're all rooting for you so please get to a meeting.