Notices

Trying to stick with the doctor's plan

Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Gold Member

You need to go to bed and sleep it off. I hope tomorrow is the day,but on Monday I do hope you see your doctor. Goodnight dear man, sleep well and hope to see in tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good advice there, BPB.
See you tomorrow, mate.

D
Old 02-14-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm back. And I've made the decision. To hell with it, I've stopped drinking. I'm in, oh, just coming up to hour three right now...

I'm going to invest in Mars bars, I have sugar for my tea, I won't get really bad until Monday when I'll go see my GP, and I have a meeting or two tomorrow. I also have here, and the phone numbers of some local AA folks.

Another thing: my wife's been feeling really down recently, particularly this last week. It came to a bit of a head the other day when we realised how abysmal our finances were. It hit her hard - it's a long time since I'd seen her so angry, and she had some very strong words for me.

The thing is, last night and today she seems to have emerged. Now, believe me, this is in NO WAY connected to my stopping drinking - by which I mean she isn't suddenly lifted up with hope at the prospect of my alcohol abstention: That she will have to see to believe! In truth, it's a little bit of heaven sent serendipity, an auspicious coincidence that makes my stopping right now make even more sense. Quite simply, the whole household is more positive, and that can only be helpful. Maybe now I can even contribute - but I won't get too carried away with myself there...

And another bit of luck, I also have had some work offered that I could begin on the 23rd of February. Working sober? Moi? Well, yes.

So. Here we go. Third time this year, but there's been a lot of learning done, and my support network has NEVER in my LIFE been better. I've never given myself a better chance.

On a slightly different note... I'm sure I saw a post on this thread last night yucking it up about me providing so much material for "shame" work on another forum ... I can't remember it exactly, but it was along those kind of lines. It really wasn't offensive, but I guess I could've taken it the wrong way and so, it appears, it has been whisked away, perhaps by a moderator, or perhaps by the author.

In any case, I just wanted to say that when I read it, honestly, it made me smile. I figured that, well, good! I'm sure that I've embarrassed, even humiliated myself over and again on these forums (why be any different here! ). I've even had one of my own very poor taste posts on another thread deleted recently (sorry moderators!). But in the end, my behaviour is what it is. I have to live with it come what may, here or anywhere else, whatever others think of it.

It's taken a long time, but I have learned that the less secret I keep my behaviour, the less harm it can do me. That's why I post it here. Even when I cringe. And if it's useful, just fun, or even laughable for others - that's absolutely fine. Great even! As long as I'm getting better, it's all good, and the less I come to cringe, let alone anyone else, at what I do and say, then maybe the better I am...!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Good morning dear man, I see you made it back alive. We are here for you no matter what even in your ramblings when drunk. I hope today sees you sober! It's hard work thats for sure. Try to make it to an AA meeting today and let people know whats going on.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

We are here for you no matter what even in your ramblings when drunk.
LOL zoomer - it appears that you're prepared to put up with my ramblings even when I'm sober!