Notices

Non -Alcoholic Beer

Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I think if you are honest with yourself, when you drink NA beer you are going to find out another lie that alchohol told you.

That you drank beer because you liked the taste.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post
I think if you are honest with yourself, when you drink NA beer you are going to find out another lie that alchohol told you.

That you drank beer because you liked the taste.
I respect your opinion, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I personally love the taste of beer. I find it to taste extremely good and refreshing. Not sweet, cold and carbonated with a stout kick (not referring to alcohol)

I guess a good analogy would be why do people drink decaff? Some just really do like the taste of coffee at certain times of the day.

But after all of this being said, I do plan on steering clear of the Near Beer because I've come to the conclusion that it would be just too tempting.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

To quote Joe and Charlie:

"I like the taste of Mountain Spring water... but never once did I drink a whole case of Mountain Spring water...!"
Old 12-23-2008, 02:14 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My cousin drank non-alcoholic beer once - he swears that's all he had - and the next thing he knew he found himself in Chicago singing in the subway with an a capella group. We live in Boston.

Anyway... I'll repeat the line I always use when this subject comes up:

Non-alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics.

Mike
Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Mike

D
Old 12-23-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I notice they don't make alcohol free vodka.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

They darn sure do not make alcohol free gin!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Now, surely you guys drank vodka and gin for the taste -- so there must be a market for non-alcoholic booze...!

You know, when I was out there doing my thing, I would have SWORN to you that I drank beer b/c of the taste. I was a home brewer -- and I must say a pretty good one at that. I was a beer snob... or so I thought. My original doctrine was that I "brew the beer I drink..." Yet, oddly enough I would run out of it all the time (and I made a LOT of beer), so I would be brewing a fancy Scottish Ale or hoppy pale ale, and whilst brewing be drinking my all time favorite -- BUDWEISER. Hardly the best tasting...

Then the day came (thankfully) that I realized that I needed to surrender to alcohol -- that I was indeed "powerless" over alcohol, and that I drank to get DRUNK. Period. I am speaking for me only, of course... but just wanted to share...

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time.

I have never taken that chance to try or even drink one of those Non-Alcoholic Drinks. One good reason is my Sponsor told me that was a NO NO, and if I did I better get honest because I am just fooling myself once again!!! He even went as far as to take me out to a store and check out the so called Non-Alcoholic Drinks and believe it or not there is a minute trace of alcohol in it!! I was very surprised to learn that and greatful my sponsor took the time and energy to teach me that valueable lesson. STOP conning yourself....get HONEST with yourself.....and read your Big Book and your 12 & 12....DO NOT TAKE THAT CHANCE what so ever....it WILL mess you up all over again....if you are not already messed up!!! Go ask your Sponsor about that, let him know what you are thinking....he should put you straight. PLEASE by ALL MEANS DO NOT TRY OR DRINK ANY KIND OF NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES....DO NOT BE A FOOL!!! Thanks for hopefully listening to what I have said and hopefully your asking this, might open up a door for another person in the same boat.
Y.I.S. Eric D. Ontario Canada
Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Originally Posted by EricDJanuary192 View Post
I have never taken that chance to try or even drink one of those Non-Alcoholic Drinks. One good reason is my Sponsor told me that was a NO NO, and if I did I better get honest because I am just fooling myself once again!!! He even went as far as to take me out to a store and check out the so called Non-Alcoholic Drinks and believe it or not there is a minute trace of alcohol in it!! I was very surprised to learn that and greatful my sponsor took the time and energy to teach me that valueable lesson. STOP conning yourself....get HONEST with yourself.....and read your Big Book and your 12 & 12....DO NOT TAKE THAT CHANCE what so ever....it WILL mess you up all over again....if you are not already messed up!!! Go ask your Sponsor about that, let him know what you are thinking....he should put you straight. PLEASE by ALL MEANS DO NOT TRY OR DRINK ANY KIND OF NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES....DO NOT BE A FOOL!!! Thanks for hopefully listening to what I have said and hopefully your asking this, might open up a door for another person in the same boat.
Y.I.S. Eric D. Ontario Canada

Hi Eric, different people have different philosophies on NA drinks. If they can drink it without it being a trigger, I say go ahead and enjoy it! For me it would be a trigger, so I stay away.

It sounds like you're an AAer... have you checked out our 12-step support forum?