Notices

Non -Alcoholic Beer

Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic beer is kind of like "diet crack," isn't it?

I once heard a speaker say that drinking non alcoholic beer is like going to a house of prostitution to hear the piano player... at some point....

I don't get on here much, but stopped in and saw this topic, it's always a good one...

NMB
Old 12-18-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer View Post
Non alcoholic beer is kind of like "diet crack," isn't it?
I wouldn't really compare drinking a beverage to smoking crack, and I've smoked my share.. it doesn't make you gain weight, lol...
Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MMORPG's = my guilty pleasure.

Never heard of the OJ/Alcohol thing, but OJ has never been anything but a delicious breakfast drink to me. I have no problems continuing to drink it. As far as the non-alcoholic beer, well first of all, I was a hard stuff girl, didn't drink much beer. However, even when I did, it wasn't really for the taste. My main purpose in consuming alcohol was simply for the buzz/drunk I got.
I would think this preference is completely based on you individually. Whether you think you can handle the "fake stuff" whether you would enjoy it, etc.
Keeping in mind, you're talking to a chick who consumed gross amounts of Bacardi Limon straight for hours.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Ought to just put a sticky on one of these type of posts!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My father is 30 years sober and drinks NA beer about once a week, I on the other hand don't get any satisfaction from it, I want the buzz and I didn't drink beer for the taste. I tried to like it, good for me or not, just can't see drinking it when I could have something else. I can't fool myself anyway, reminds me too much of the real thing. But for people like my Dad I guess it works for them . . .
Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

If you must drink N/A beer then you're likely surrounded by other triggers. Get as far away, from ANY temptation, as you can! Look to the reason you must drink N/A beer, to begin with, and you'll find that the odds are against you. Prayers
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

OMG isn't there alcohol in vanilla extract? That would mean all those people celebrating their sobriety anniversaries would be relapsing when they take a bite of their cake! NA beer is a great way to relax after a hard day.

tib
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
6/20/08

There is a new coffee creamer out, Rum Raisin. I smelled it and decided it wasn't going in my coffee.

I quit drinking. No way, no how am I going to mess with it.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Baking with out pure vanilla extract is not a problem.

When that was my AA service job...I ordered cakes from
a bakery....requested they use arttificial vanilla.

That's been the policy in my 3 home groups
in considerate of members who might be
using Antabuse or like me...don't choose to use alcohol.

I've never met an alcoholic who decided quit drinking
because of N/A beer or wine..cakes or OJ.

I do know countless who are successfully
recovered alcoholics who choose to abstain.

Think I'll stay with the winners over alcohol...

Last edited by CarolD; 12-18-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I remember this thread from countless past attempts at figuring out whose opinions are right here -- EVERYONE'S!

I choose to NOT consume alcohol. That being said, have I had something with alcohol in it without me knowing? Probably, but I want to hedge my bet as much as possible, so I will not order a cake with rum glaze, or a dish with a wine sauce, etc. For me, it's the knowing that it's in there, but that's only the beginning.

I also have this allergy to alcohol (my belief, along with other sober AA members) -- once I ingest it, it triggers a craving in my body to want more and more. Now, I know a Budweiser or shot of tequila will do that, but I don't know if Nyquil, or mouthwash, or even real wine at Communion will do that. I'm pretty sure for me they might, so I stay away. I am getting over a cold/flu thing here, and last night my W says 'let me go get you some Nyquil, so you can get a good night's sleep...' I am thinking to myself that after a few years sober, she'd get the idea... but not the case. No Nyquil for me...

Then there are triggers -- people, places or things which may or may not have actual alcohol, but will trigger my addiction. I would consider N/A beer as one of those (even though this does have minute trace of alcohol) -- more of a trigger for me (I did not drink beer for the TASTE, folks -- although I would have told you that 6 years ago, when I was such a great home brewer)... and for some people that could be a holiday party, egg nog, or grape juice. I am not the one to say on that.

My hope would be that everyone who wishes to stay sober, especially over the holidays, will stay away from people, places and things which may be slippery slopes and cause us to backslide and drink.

Have a great holiday, stay sober and

NMB
Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, NMB! You too!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I tried the NA thing, didn't work for me. I loved a glass of wine before bed so I tried the NA wine thing and it gave me a worse hangover than regular alcohol. I've just decided to stay away from anything that resembles alcohol.

NA works for some, but not for me.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I believe my addiction was (is) more psychological than physiological. So for me, NA beer (or any other "alcohol substitute") would be just as bad as the real thing.

Orange juice, baked goods made with vanilla, while they technically might contain alcohol, for me those things aren't a problem. But anything that tastes like, looks like, or tries to be alcohol... Not going into my mouth.

My co-worker had this horrid "health drink" the other day, Malta Guinness or something like that. Basically unfermented Guinness with added vitamins. He was so excited for all of us to try it, and while it said "non-alcoholic" right on the label... No way, no how.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

OK, I'll bite

I have had an O'douls on a few occasions. I have very mixed feelings at this point. It has less than 0.5%, 12 oz. of this will not affect my nervous system. I find that if I am out to dinner I'll order one and I don't feel so much like something's missing. I like the taste. I have had a few at home over several occasions and this is where it gets dicey. Certain foods I make scream for beer as a beverage (linguini with white clam sauce, for one...), and mostly, O'douls met my need for an accompaniment. No issues.

However, O'douls mid-day, with a football game, when I'm slacking around? - no,no,no!!! Didn't like the trigger effect at all. I find that I'm not particularly afraid of it, but OTH, I am not embracing the stuff either. So I am, in the final analysis, keeping it a little more than arms length away from me.

Mark
Old 12-19-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I also like the taste and the composition, especially at certain times. Kaliber is my favorite. If I found myself having a couple and then wanting to polish off the six-pack, I would leave them alone. After one or two, I have no interest in drinking more, and even less desire for the real thing. Also, I used to have an interlock on my car that was very finely calibrated, and NA beer never kept me from starting my engine.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My opinion is that NA beer is the name, it's non-alcoholic, so if it isn't a trigger for you then why not? NA beer would be a trigger for me as my choice drink was lager, so i personally wouldn't have any. Plus it tastes like rat's p**s anyway.

As for OJ or vanilla, sometimes i think we can get too hung up on our addiction and overdo it, without concentrating on the real issue for us. For me i do not see the harm in OJ, a glass is not going to make me want to go out and get drunk. OJ is OJ, whereas for me alcoholic beverages is the killer.

Paul
Old 12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

At a meeting once I heard someone ask if eating a champagne truffle counted as a slip!

I dont think the folk at that meeting know about the oj and i dont think ill be the one to tell them it would be too cruel.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Breathing

I wouldn't drink it, for several reasons.... 1, it for some reason doesn't allow you to burp satisfactorily, and 2, when I did drink beer, I wanted good beer.. .something dark and hoppy, with body to it. I was never a huge beer drinker anyway, when I wanted to numb the world out, beer or even wine would take too long. Just pour some cheap vodka down my gullet and I'd pass out.

I never really saw a point in n/a beers
Old 12-20-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

I wouldn't worry too much about alcohol in foods because the cooking process will wipe it out leaving all the great flavors behind.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here are the facts....

Cooking and Alcohol

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

* 15 minutes 40%

* 30 minutes 35%

* 1 hour 25%

* 1.5 hours 20%

* 2 hours 10%

* 2.5 hours 5%

Now, it may be that the amount of alcohol in a dish is modest to start with, but the fact that some of the alcohol remains could be of significant concern to recovering alcoholics, parents, and others who have ethical or religious reasons for avoiding alcohol.
And you can try these....

Booze Flavoring In Cooking
This was the September 2003 issue of theAA Grapevine.

Sweet or semisweet red wine - Carbonated cranberry drink.

Dry red wine - ˝ cup carbonated cranberry drink, plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.

Sweet white wine - White grape juice plus 1 Tbsp. corn syrup.

Brandy - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tsp brandy flavoring, or 1/4 cup apple cider with 1 tbsp peach or apricot syrup.

Rum - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tbsp rum extract, or 1/4 cup pineapple juice or syrup flavored with 1 tbsp almond extract.

Sherry - Orange or pineapple juices with peach sirup.

Amaretto - 1 tbsp light corn syrup plus 1 tbsp almond extract and 1/4 cup clear apple juice.

Kirsch - Syrup or juices from cherries, raspberries, boysenberries, currnats or cider.