Notices

Pressure

Old 12-22-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pressure

8 months in tomorrow..i dont think I will be celebrating somehow. This is my first Christmas in 27 years in which my priority will be *not* to drink rather than *how much can I drink*.

The thing is I am really feeling the pressure, the overwhelming urge to 'let go' and drink.

Who else tries not to look at the relentless adverts in the paper for cheap beer and wine, who takes the wrong turn into the beer aisle in the supermarket, heart pounding and gets to the other end thinking youve achieved a victory by not stopping.

When i booked 2 weeks off work for this Christmas I was still drinking,every day was going to be party i thought...now im crawling up the walls,looking for things to do..need to take my mind off it..

what is it about this time of year

Anyone else going through this?...
Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There were a lot of members in my AA meeting yesterday
who I have not seen in awhile.
It's the time of year many are attending extra meetings
for support and encourgement.
Perhaps that would be a good idea for you?

Well done on your sober time...
Yes...you can get thru this....just don't drink today.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

I know where you're coming from and I'm only three days in.

Fact is that admitting there's a problem is half of the battle you face. You are feeling this way and you want to understand why as you thought you'd kicked the chemical addiction and cravings.

Fact is that I know how you feel more than anything as I've withdrawn now so many times, and led so many miserable days, but the biggest problem I face is coming to terms with the adaption of my social life. I'm just starting to try and adapt, but I, for one, always used booze in social situations to build confidence and its a big challenge to work out where to get that confidence from not drinking. But even more so most of my friends like a good drink and so when I see them having a good time and knocking back a few pints the pressure is very strong. The reason for this is because I ask myself again and again and again, why can't I turn the clock back a little bit and get back to those times when I didn't get withdrawls. I think that's why you feel uncomformtable about Christmas, you want to have the same fun as everyone else and you feel perhaps that this has been partially denied you. Certainly that's how I feel.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Yes, pounding, yes. My heart starts racing every time I'm on that aisle in the grocery store now. I was just telling someone last night that I never noticed when I was drinking, but now that I'm sober... alcohol is EVERYWHERE. Magazine ads. TV commercials. Billboards. Seems like every person at every table in every restaurant is having a beer. It's normalized. It's romanticized. It's glorified. And it's in your face ALL. THE. TIME.

You are not alone.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand where you're coming from.

The grocery store liquor aisle is usually one of my top priorities so lately I've found myself subconsciously wandering to that area only to find myself kicking myself.

The toughest time for me recently has been going out to dinner to restaurants where I'm used going straight to the bar as I arrive (etc. Chilis)

Good Luck man and stay strong,
Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I think that anything I do keeps me sober - I start to feel like you describe.

It's more about letting go than trying hard. Kind of backwards, but it works. Doesn't matter what time of year - I have alcoholism every day of the year. The idea that there are things on the 'outside' (ie - events, people, holidays, situations) that caused me to drink had to be let go of.

I drank because I am alcoholic, that's all I needed to know to recover.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

I know exactly what you mean ... I was watching TV last night I noticed a very stylized Johnnie Walker commercial.

I thought they made it where you can't advertise hard liquor on U.S. TV anymore Maybe they just can't show it being used. Anyway - it caught my attention.

Then on the way into the office, I happened to notice a Coors Beer Truck ... I never used to pay any attention.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's because its shoved down our throats. The media makes it seem like you can't have the holidays without booze. Well, guess what - YOU CAN and that is exactly what I intend to do. Hey, I did not do all this Christmas shopping for nothing!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
jh1

haha-yea i do notice how much alcohol is around my life even more now. But its definitely situational like certain times i normally would drink and now am trying not to, that's when I start thinking about it a lot. I try not to even go down booze isles when im in the store-just figure id start thinking about it too much.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you all...
Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Pounding I found a solution not only for my alcoholism but also for that obsession every time I see it. I found that solution in the steps of AA. When I first got sober and heard people in AA speak of how they were releived from their obsession for alcohol by the steps, I used to think to myself "Yea..... right!!!!", well I was miserable in the early days of my sobriety, unless I was in an AA meeting I almost always was thinking about how good a drink would be, heck sometimes even in a meeting!

I then started to work the steps with my sponsor and one day even before I had finished working the steps.................. it was GONE!!!!!! Alcohol no longer was the central part of my thought process, the urge/need to drink was gone, the battle was over.

So to answer your question pounding, yes I do remember that feeling, but I no longer get that feeling, as long as I have a reason to be someplace, today I go where ever I wish to go without thinking about having a drink.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time.

At this time of year I look back and reflect on what it use to be like....My Christmas's years ago were filled with SEX, DRUGS (BOOZE) ROCK N ROLL & FIGHTS & LASTLY JAIL!!! Do I really want to go back to that...NO THANKS!!! How do I avoid that and any other downfall to come...I get to lots of meetings....I share EXACTLY how I am feeling (No matter what it is)...I than sit back and LISTEN to others, as they share thier experiences and tell me what and how they did to avoid that...and than FINALLY...I ask my Higher Power (God) for help and just remember where I came from and just where my life is heading now.....no more DRUGS & BOOZE.....no more FIGHTS....and mostly no more JAIL!!! Man what a blessing that is!! I came into this program on January 1st, 1992, this last time and I threw away all my old IDEAS...my false EGO....my SELF WILL....and I let others help me to find the new person I am today!! Give it a try and see how you make out.....remember what it was like...what happened...and what it is like today....which is better??
Let Go and Let God
Y.I.S. Eric D. Ontario Canada
Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

EricDJanuary192....
welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum

Well done on your sober years!