Notices

Me and an empty vodka bottle...i ain't normal

Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me and an empty vodka bottle...i ain't normal

Yesterday i was on a job and walking through the side entrance of the house i was at. By the back door were some empty bottles put out by the recycle bin, wine mainly and one vodka bottle. As i was walking through carrying my tools and a ladder i tripped and kicked the vodka bottle.

So after putting my ladder and stuff down, i walked back to pick up the empty bottle and put it back by the door. As i picked it up i noticed there was still a little bit in it swirling around the bottom, about enough for half a glass.

Now any normal person wouldn't think anything of it. My immediate thought was "what a waste! fancy throwing out a bottle with still some in it". For a split second i had an urge to take the top off and swig it back.

This aint normal behaviour. I know people here will understand, which is why i am posting this. But tell some "normie" about this and they would think you must be crazy. Well i am. I am six months sober and feel totally unnatural towards alcohol. Why should i have a problem with thinking throwing out a little bit of alcohol is a waste.

Anyway the top and tail of it is, that i didn't take the top of it and drink it. Maybe this was a wake up call that i'm still powerless.

Paul
Old 12-09-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I don't think I"ll ever understand "normal" drinkers. I've noticed folks leaving half full glasses on tables at restaurants etc and THAT boggles my mind. I NEVER left any booze, anywhere.

I totally get ya. I would've thought the same as you.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by NOMOMERLOTMAMMA View Post
I've noticed folks leaving half full glasses on tables at restaurants etc and THAT boggles my mind. I NEVER left any booze, anywhere.
I totally understand what you mean.

I used to finish all the drinks at a table, even if they weren't mine, and I thought it was perfectly normal to do it!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

This reminds of another thing that boggles my mind. My sister has a wine fridge in her basement. There is always wine in there. I could never even have a wire rack for wine bottle display cause I drank the stuff so fast it didn't have time to be admired lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

When my youngest son was training at Ruby Tuesdays, he had an experience with a large group who came in, ordered loads of food and drink, and left without touching much of it. He had spilled one of the fancy drinks on his new pants.

Now, I could understand leaving food behind. My eyes are always bigger than my stomach. But I still don't get ordering an expensive drink (or a cheap one, for that matter) and not finishing it off.

Good for you, didgeridoo, for letting it be.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I once heard a story a while back at AA when I tried to quit a few months ago (I failed)...anyway, the guy said he knocked over his bottle of scotch and about a 1/3 of the bottle ended up on the floor. He needed that scotch as the liquor store was closed, so he got on his knees and slurped it up.

I thought, how pathetic. What was wrong with this guy? Well, this past Saturday night, I had about a half pint left of Vodka. It was 11pm, the stores were closed and I knocked it over and half ended up on the floor. I probably don't need to explain what happened after that....
Old 12-09-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I cant remember how many times i found myself drinking the last can of beer, out of the six pack, which i had extinguished a cigarette in, 2 bottles of wine previously...just needing to finish it before going to bed...ah happy days and perfectly normal behaviour?!

Well done Paul for not taking that swig mate:-)
Old 12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like the conclusion here is that normal for alcoholics is not the same as normal for non-alcoholics. Who knew?

I not throwing stones at anyone, I was the same way. Once I was drunk enough I'd go around the party and finish other peoples beers that they had left behind when I couldn't find a fresh one. Disgusting now looking back.

I still hate to see food or any kind of drink wasted. But then again, how many times did we hear "finish your plate, there are people starving over in _______ "

I guess when I was drunk I'd hear the echoes of that like "finish that beer, there are thirsty people in some far off land"
Old 12-09-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ha I too have thrown back a few ciggs in my day. As far as the bottle goes, good work not drinking it. I never understood people who left half a drink on the bar. I wasn't much for fancy drinks, just give me the bottle in a bag. Now I don't like to be around it, or see it, smell it, anything like that. Makes me uncomfortable. For that I am grateful, because sometimes my alcoholic mind will tell me its alright. My skin will crawl at the mere sight. In the end I want nothing to do with the very thing that almost killed me.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yeah... my girl often falls asleep 1/2 way through her last beer... So I'll always check it in the morning, because if she found it when she got up, she would "waste" it down the sink. Nothing like that 7:30 AM warm flat beer mouthwash to start a day. Sick.

Anyway, sorry to hear you felt triggered sort of, but even more glad you didn't drink it!!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I'm guilty of tipping over the drink and slurping it up off of the coffee table. I remember how pathetic I felt at the time, but I also remember the withdrawals were making me crazy. I also can remember my surprise and glee when I would stumble upon a forgotten stash. I would pick it up and stare at it and feel as if Santa had just paid a visit. Of course, I had been to drunk to remember I had hidden it there. If I had, well...you know the story, it would be empty. Needless to say, it was seconds after finding it. Glad I don't have to put myself through that anymore.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I do this with all the diet mountain dew bottles in my house and in my van. lol Sad.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Paul, first I want to commend you for putting the bottle down and not acting on the thought. See, that's the thing. We have no control over that first insane thought that hits us concerning alcohol BUT the second thought, the one where we make a conscious decision regarding what we are going to do with that thought we do have control over. You chose well my friend.

Part of my job is coordinating events and attending them so I am around open bars more frequently than I would like. I coordinated the first one when I was about 8 months sober and got left to "guard the bar" while the bartender went to get something. Here was me, a bar full of booze, and nobody around. It was like asking a bankrobber to guard a safe and I was freaked out much like you were but also like you I made the right choice. Now it doesn't bother me.

What DOES bother me is being in conversations amongst recovering alcoholics about their favorite drinks, good times, etc. It feels like romancing to me. My hubby and I went out to eat last night at a restaurant where there was booze all over and he started doing this. Made me uncomfortable as all get out. Now I have no problem with conversations like the ones that have taken place on this thread because I need to remember how horrible this disease is, how it made us slaves, and the lengths we went to in service to it as well as the results. Thank you Paul for starting this thread and to those who posted for reminding this alcoholic of those very things.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
yeahgr8...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kellye C View Post
What DOES bother me is being in conversations amongst recovering alcoholics about their favorite drinks, good times, etc. It feels like romancing to me.
Yep, I can't get into those old 'romancing' stories either, so don't feel bad! :ghug
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I could totally see myself reacting the same way. I am prone to be the kind of drinker who will never finish a night without making sure the bottle was done for. I was ridiculous and on a destructive path. Your reaction is normal because "normal" people dont have the same strange deep craving that we got when we drank, the craving to drink more and more and more and more. But the fact we remain sober is whats important, and its the fact that we arent normal with alcohol that we need to do this. You didn't drink the vodka so you did the right thing. It was just the little alcy inside trying to convince you to have some, he doesnt go away.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

LcplBlip...Welcome!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i never have, and probably never will understand people who are able to put down an unfinished drink. i always find it such a waste, which i know i probably shouldn't...

and whats worse, i usually end up feeling bad for THAT person and pity THEM for being such a "lightweight" and a "waste of alcohol."
Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellye C
We have no control over that first insane thought that hits us concerning alcohol BUT the second thought,
Very well put, i shall remember that line.

Paul
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah, that is well put. Took me a minute to get the point that we can't beat ourselves up for having the impulsive thought because we don't have control over that. Where our control comes in is acting on the thought or not.