Notices

Sobriety date questions

Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety date questions

Hey all!

I have a few questions about calculating your sobriety birthdays.

My first day of sobriety was Oct 21, a Tuesday. So does that mean that I celebrate another month on the 21st of every month or on the Tuesday four weeks from my last birthday?

LOL this whole thing is making me rethink what a month really is! Is it 31 days? 4 weeks? I feel dumb, but I'm confused, since the months are different lengths.

Would I celebrate a year next Oct. 21, or on the third Tuesday of Oct.?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

sobertime calculator

Good morning!

At the top of SR homepage, left hand corner, look for a list of links "Home, Resources, Sobertime, etc...."

Click Sobertime, it is a sober date calculator.

Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Doll I used the 18th of the month for mine, I do wonder how someone who has the 31st handles 30 day months!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pelican
At the top of SR homepage, left hand corner, look for a list of links "Home, Resources, Sobertime, etc...."

Click Sobertime, it is a sober date calculator.
Wow! Thanks!...in 5 days time i will be 200 days!

Paul
Old 12-12-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At least it wasn't on Feb. 29'th (Leap Year)... Zoinks
Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Wow, I definitely didn't put that much thought into it. I just use the 13th of the month.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

In early recovery, I attended both AA and NA. Because AA has medallions with "months" and NA has "days" (at least up to 90), I used to pick up my medallion on the 28th (AA), and my key tag sometimes on the 30th, or whichever day was exactly 30, 60, 90 days. It was really important to me then that I recognize the exact day. To some who went to the same meetings as I did, it looked like I was recognizing two different dates, but I wasn't. My method seemed like rigorous honesty to me, even though it could get complicated.

Think about this. If you celebrate every four weeks--calling that a month--and there are 52 weeks in a year, on what date will you celebrate a year?

Keep it simple.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-12-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
I do wonder how someone who has the 31st handles 30 day months!
LOL, mine is October 31st! I'm just going with 30, 60, 90...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The last day I drank alcohol was either March 7th or 8th 2007. If I give a sobriety date - it is March 9th.

That's all I need to know...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Mine is the 21st too....of oct. yay! I pick the date, but also mentally track of days sober for my piece of mind
Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Grats on the six weeks. My last drink was on Sept. 2nd in 99. I've been calling Sept. 3rd my sobriety day Sept. 3rd ever since. Trouble is, I'm not even sure if, I drank after midnight

I just know one thing for certain, every 24 hours is a gift
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...numbers?

I had my last drink on the 23rd
making the 24th my first sober day
but...
7 is my lucky number
sooo
I added 2+5...= 7
and
made my DOS April 25

Way to go Doll!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doll View Post
Hey all!

I have a few questions about calculating your sobriety birthdays.

My first day of sobriety was Oct 21, a Tuesday. So does that mean that I celebrate another month on the 21st of every month or on the Tuesday four weeks from my last birthday?

LOL this whole thing is making me rethink what a month really is! Is it 31 days? 4 weeks? I feel dumb, but I'm confused, since the months are different lengths.

Would I celebrate a year next Oct. 21, or on the third Tuesday of Oct.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Myself, I like days much better. You could just get your token at the end or beginning of each month, depending on when your home group-assuming they use the token system-passes them out.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help you guys! I think I'll just stop obsessing about the details (I tend to do that) and just feel grateful for my sobriety. I'll celebrate the 21st of every month and also keep track of the days for awhile just to satisfy the stickler in me. I like that... my 23rd birthday will fall on my 9 month sobriety birthday!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy 6 weeks!!! In the beginning I faced that same quandry. I wanted to count days because I wanted that chip early dang it lol! But it got confusing, what with months that had 30 days and those that had 31. Finally I just settled on the 8th of each month. After a year it doesn't matter anymore anyway (except for the 18 month chip) but I really looked forward to those monthly chips and still have all of them. To me they were signs of a miracle to me because when I got there I couldn't got more than 3 - 4 hours with alcohol before withdrawals set in so to go 2,3 4,6 months or more was a miracle!

Do whatever you feel is right for you but for keeping track for the long haul I find it is easier to just stick to the calendar date.

Great job on the 6 weeks!!!!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
where the light is

Its been kind of crazy week. My sobriety date is Dec 17 (one year!). I have already had people hug me and congratulate me. There are others that won't even talk about it for fear of "jinxing" me. Some are already talking about my "birthday" meeting - we have them at the end of the month.

Can my sobriety date be the month of December?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gravity, happy birthday 4 days early LOL!

My sponsor would not let me put my birthday up on the board my first year UNTIL the actual date. Of course as soon as they wiped away the July birthdays and wrote August on the board I started foaming at the mouth and chomping at the bit. Those were the longest 8 days of my life ROFL!!!! Then I had to wait til the END OF THE MONTH to celebrate. Cruel and unusual punishment I tell ya! Don't they know who I am?? I want what I want and I want it RIGHT NOW!!!

Anyway, it didn't kill me. Now I put it up there whenever. If I am there on the actual day (which I usually am) I put it up but one year I put it up in advance.

To those who are wishing you happy birthday now just accept it and thank them. They are just happy for you. For those trying not to "jinx" you, assure them that they aren't that powerful LOL! Nah, don't do that. Just accept that in their own twisted way they are also supporting you LOL!

Best of all be so very thankful that you have gone almost an entire year without a drink! How awesome is that!!!!

Have you gone through the birthday crazies yet? For me and for lots of people it is not uncommon to go a little nuts at birthday time. Extra emotional, sensitive, irritable, restless and discontent and just uncomfortable in your own skin. Usually clears up soon after the birthday passes. Not sure what causes it but too many people experience it for it to just be some type of a fluke so it must be a thought process that some of us go through. Hope you don't but if you do know that it isn't uncommon and that "this too shall pass".

Great job and keep it up ODAAT!!!
Kellye
Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I never did get a 30 day chip. I wonder if it's too late...

edit - just realized that I have 6 weeks, lol.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Happy 6 weeks DK and no it's not too late!!!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-13-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, Kellye.

Who else had 6 weeks? I'm confused, lol...