Notices

Quit Drinking 44 hours ago

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit Drinking 44 hours ago

Hello everyone, i came across this forum searching for facts about alcohol withdrawal. I am a 36 y/o male who has been drinking heavy for 10 to 12 years. My choice of drink was beer, love the stuff. Well 45 hours ago i had my last drink i hope. I have been reading the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and it scared the living daylights out of me. According to what i have read you can die form delerium tremons, seizures and a long list of other stuff. As i stated above i have not had a beer since sunday night and i have not had one negative symptom from not drinking. I feel fine, no nausia, sweats, shaking, rapid heartbeat. My question is, if i had not had any symptoms, do you all think i am out of the woods, as far as withdrawals go?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job ronc!

Not everyone gets the DT's, and not everyone experiences the same degree of withdrawal. There are many factors involved. If you start feeling real terrible, go to the ER/ED and tell them you are withdrawing. They can give you meds that will reduce the symptoms. Or you can contact your doctor right now and get the meds just in case.

Now that you are a sober, you need to come up with a plan. How will you stay sober? Google AA, AVRT, and many of the other programs - find one that you think will work with you and go for it.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a little old than you and have been a heavy drinker for nearly two decades, with the last 5 years a hard core alcoholic. I am talking about drinking every night, usually the hard stuff, Vodka and Gin. It has been nothing for me to polish off an entire 1/5 of Vodka on a Saturday along with a couple glasses of wine. In fact I did that very thing this past Saturday and could have drank more but I ran out.

I have quit drinking several times for a couple weeks here and there. I never got DTs though I fully expected them. My issues have been more of a mental addiction.

That said, the "quiet killer" is not shakes or obsession. Its the slow death of your liver. From my understanding, many people find out of liver disease when its too late.

One of the reasons I am quitting (one of many), is I do not want to wake up one morning, look in the mirror and see yellow skin and eyes. Believe me, each morning its the first thing I think about when I look in the mirror. Every now and then I would dream of having yellow skin only to wake up in a cold sweat.

I am right there with you. Have not had a drink since Saturday night. One day at a time. The next time you want a beer, read the chapter on the lady who at age 37 needed a liver transplant.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wonder just how bad beer is for the liver. I have been nocking back anywhere from 6 to 24 beers a day for years. After drinking about a case Sunday, puking my guts up Monday morning and getting out of bed with a severe hangover, i said enough is enough. I never get sick from beer, but that was not the case monday. I decided i was not going to put this crap in my body anymore. Whats funny i have not wanted a beer since i quit.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beer, wine and liquor, its all the same to the body. Larry Hagman lost his liver to champange abuse. My theory is you can't undo what has been done. Your liver probably is in not the best of shape, how could it be after years of abuse? That said, the liver has the great ability to repair itself, providing you and me stop now. If we don't, one day we will wake up yellow, or **** blood, or not wake up at all. You rarely see a 70 year old lifetime alcoholic. They usually go in their 40s and 50s. Just a fact.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberSoWhat View Post
Good job ronc!

Not everyone gets the DT's, and not everyone experiences the same degree of withdrawal. There are many factors involved. If you start feeling real terrible, go to the ER/ED and tell them you are withdrawing. They can give you meds that will reduce the symptoms. Or you can contact your doctor right now and get the meds just in case.

Now that you are a sober, you need to come up with a plan. How will you stay sober? Google AA, AVRT, and many of the other programs - find one that you think will work with you and go for it.
I do not think i will use those programs. I have many hobbies to keep me busy. Its not like i was just sitting in the house drowning my sorrows in beer. I guess a am a hihgly functional alcoholic. I work 40 hours a week also to keep me busy, i just hope i can stay sober.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

It's always there if you feel you need additional support Ronc.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ronc ive been drinking for all my adult life (37 now), stopped a couple of months ago when i went to see a counseller and a psychiatrist. I was prescribed anti depressants, antabuse (if you drink alcohol it makes you sick) and an anti-anxiety pill which is usually prescribed for administration in hospitals for chronic withdrawl symptoms (which i DID NOT take after seeing that it was really addicitive, i did take and am still taking the first two though!).

I hardly got any withdrawl syptoms so unless you are shaking uncontrollably, confused, sweating, heart racing even when sitting down, headaches, within the first 48 hours of stopping it is unlikely that you will suddenly start (this is what the doctor told me). This because the amount of time that alcohol stays in the system is under 48 hours so you will be fine, please do not use this as an excuse to have a drink, you won't be 'saving your life' just ensuring that the vicious circle keeps spinning!

Your last worry is your liver to be honest as it is, as NortheastDrunk states, the only organ that regenerates. A blood test will tell you whats going on and what damage, if any, you need to address without alcohol! Get some help, go down AA, get a counseller, group therapy...whatever you need.

I stopped and got help and it is well worth it. Make it 44 days, why not, good luck and keep posting:-)
Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
ronc ive been drinking for all my adult life (37 now), stopped a couple of months ago when i went to see a counseller and a psychiatrist. I was prescribed anti depressants, antabuse (if you drink alcohol it makes you sick) and an anti-anxiety pill which is usually prescribed for administration in hospitals for chronic withdrawl symptoms (which i DID NOT take after seeing that it was really addicitive, i did take and am still taking the first two though!).

I hardly got any withdrawl syptoms so unless you are shaking uncontrollably, confused, sweating, heart racing even when sitting down, headaches, within the first 48 hours of stopping it is unlikely that you will suddenly start (this is what the doctor told me). This because the amount of time that alcohol stays in the system is under 48 hours so you will be fine, please do not use this as an excuse to have a drink, you won't be 'saving your life' just ensuring that the vicious circle keeps spinning!

Your last worry is your liver to be honest as it is, as NortheastDrunk states, the only organ that regenerates. A blood test will tell you whats going on and what damage, if any, you need to address without alcohol! Get some help, go down AA, get a counseller, group therapy...whatever you need.

I stopped and got help and it is well worth it. Make it 44 days, why not, good luck and keep posting:-)
Great advice, i really appreciate it. I'm not saying i would never do AA or a counsler i am just going to try to get through this on my on. I have never discussed my alcohol problem with anyone, you guys are the first and i think its a positive step in the right direction.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Ronc. Glad you are here. We can all do this together. Keep posting reading, etc. Great info here and people.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR..great job on your two days of sobriety...but remember 2 days is not a cure. I tried so many times to quit on my own, went up to few weeks at a time,never a withdrawal sympton, thought "I have it licked". Then I would think geez, I can have one drink or two as I would try to control my drinking and be like normal people, yeah right..not a reality for an alcoholic. One would lead to the whole bottle and I was back to square one. I hope you can do it on your own, for me, NO way I could or can do it on my own. I go to AA daily and that keeps my sobriety, along with getting a sponsor, working the steps, and reconnecting with my higher power..keep posting and reading here there is alot of support and information here at SR.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

ronc..:Welcome to our recovery community

My guess is that you somehow
beat the symptoms of de toxing.

Good to know you are seeking sobriety
Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well i am on my third day without a beer everyone, feeling pretty good.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ronc, thats fabulous. Yes I get pretty scared of what I could have done to my body. I am hopeful I can play catch up as things only got 'bad' the last couple of yrs here.
Keep going.

Another thing that helps me: there are some users on this site who are around the same sober mark as me (which is 8 days at the minute for me), I try and read their posts, focus on their energy etc.
Obviously I read all posts, but it comforts me to know certain people keep going. So what I am saying is it can help if you keep going with someone who is a regular poster on this forums.
This might not be for you but I noticed it has been helping me quiet a lot.

Good luck, just keep going. I bet your liver is breathing (!!) easier already, hehe!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Way to go - Three days. If you are coming to SR you are not doing it alone because there is HUGE support here.

I started posting on day 11 and am on day 33 and each day I get more support here - it is great.

Keep coming here.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

Keep posting Ronc you're doing great!!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello

Im new here and this is my 2nd dry day so pleased to find a place to comunicate
Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Colinb1 View Post
Hello

Im new here and this is my 2nd dry day so pleased to find a place to comunicate
Welcome Colin! You will get more replies if you start your own thread. This is a great place to find resources about staying sober and to talk with others about how they stay sober. I hope you find what you're looking for!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ronc View Post
I wonder just how bad beer is for the liver. I have been nocking back anywhere from 6 to 24 beers a day for years. After drinking about a case Sunday, puking my guts up Monday morning and getting out of bed with a severe hangover, i said enough is enough. I never get sick from beer, but that was not the case monday. I decided i was not going to put this crap in my body anymore. Whats funny i have not wanted a beer since i quit.
As you get older , the body cannot handle the alcohol as well
Mine sure cant .