Notices

Learning to control amount you drink?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Feelingbrain....Welcome!
I am sorry you have lost your Mother.

How long have you been a non drinker?

When I was a drinker...all my friends were too.
Now that I quit...I perfer to have friends
who share the same sober l lifestyle and goals.

I found them in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To me, just the fact that you've got an internal debate going on about your drinking tells me that you DO think you have a problem with alcohol. You say that you don't think you have a problem, you just can't control your drinking and/or drink responsibly. To be honest, having blackouts so often indicates a problem right there, cause 'normal' social drinkers do'nt drink to the point of blacking out.

Just wondering about your alcohol consumption also indicates you may have a problem, cause again, normal social drinkers don't worry about whether or not they have a problem, and don't feel a need to moderate their intake of alcohol. Late last year I thought I might have "a problem" with drinking. I tried to moderate my drinking but rarely could. And when I managed to have "just a few" glasses of wine, I didn't get the 'feeling' I got when drinking without attempting to moderate.

I wish you the best in addressing this potential problem. If you can successfully moderate your drinking, every time you drink, and don't have blackouts when you drink, then you may have solved your problem. Try to control your alcohol intake, or try to go without drinking at all. That should give you an answer to your 'problem'.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

You are very young why waste your youth on drinking? God there are so many who have thrown their lives away on alcohol. I can guarantee that there are far better things to do with your time like finish college with your brain still intact. I used to have a serious drinking problem. I hurt my heart and liver the way I drank. I chose to look at what I was running from while drinking to excess. Looking at this was not near as scary as what I was doing to my health while drinking to excess.

I totally quit drinking for 10 years I did not touch one drop. I do on occasion have a drink. I cannot really measure the interval of my drinks. I am sure I have gone more than a year without a drink several times since my ten year mark of complete abstinence. If I do drink one is my limit. Usually it will just put me to sleep.

I do not have any weird flashes in the grocery store if I walk down the liquor aisle. I do not feel an uncontrollable desire to go to a bar and drink myself into oblivion. Seeing people that I used to drink with only makes me glad that I stopped drinking especially if they did not stop drinking. Drinking to excess for years does terrible things to your looks and I care way too much about how I look because I know it is a mirror to what is happening with my body.

I had to get over my bs or die that's the way i look at it. It is so very pitiful to see some of the people I went to high school with who still drink. Many of my friends are dead because of drinking it is so sad cause I ain't that old many of them died in their 40's. Don't be one of these.

Go to a mall or some other gathering of lots of people and search the crowd for who think might be drinkers and ask your self if you want to look like that? Many of these people are over weight not all of course but many of them are. Their faces will be puffy and red you will be amazed at the contrasts. Look at the people in your own school who drink and especially look at the ones who don't they are the ones who will get the best grades and do the best out in the world because they are equipped to do so they have all their own personal resources of their mind, body and, spirit at their complete disposal and kids who drink do not. Look around you; look at yourself in the mirror after you drink and put another 10 or 20 years on top of it look at how your dad struggles and how his drinking has affected your life and his learn from it.

Choose your life my friend cause that is all you really have...
Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Passing out is a form of control. :P
Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What a way to live; investing time, energy and purpose into controlling the intake of booze. For most this is not even an afterthought, but for some it is clearly a warning sign. When booze becomes central to your entertainment, to your thinking and to your comfort levels, you are probably drinking to much.

...but then what do I know.

"But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink."

"We know that while the alcoholic keeps away from drink, as he may do for months or years, he reacts much like other men. We are equally positive that once he takes any alcohol whatever into his system, something happens, both in the bodily and mental sense, which makes it virtually impossible for him to stop. The experience of any alcoholic will abundantly confirm this."

"Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of self-deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic."
Old 09-28-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yea rufus

That sounds about right. In fact, I'd say ya nailed it.

We build our world around the stuff. Well, I did

Ed
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know you take me back many years into the early days of my drinking, when I did not drink I had control, the second I had that first drink I had no idea how many more would follow it or what I would do while I was drinking. Well years later I found myself drinking on a daily basis and it was a real struggle to go a day or 2 without drinking. About the time I hit 47 I no longer controled when I drank, I drank every day because I had to drink.

I went from controlling my drinking by not drinking, to having my drinking control me!

I spent 5 years having to drink every day just to feel normal, not to get high or drunk, but just to feel normal, alcohol controlled me, I had no control over alcohol!

Do some reading on the progression of alcoholism, as you read about it see if you do not see where you are now some where in that progression. This I can attest to as fact, I am an alcoholic, I know for a fact that as long as I kept drinking my disease always got worse, it never got better. I quit for 1 1/2 years in my mid 20's and started again, within a week I was drinking just like I had before I quit, maybe more!

My disease progressed to the point where alcohol owned me, control was a thing of years past. I finally was able to admit that I could not stop on my own, I needed help because I was at the point that if I had kept on drinking it would have killed me.

I finally surrendered and put myself into medical detox and then from there into AA, there I have learned how to live life on lifes terms sober and happy. I have found that life for me is far easier by simply not drinking one day at a time then trying to control my drinking.

Maybe you are not an alcoholic, take a few online test and you decide.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have found personally that there is no such thing as "controlling the drinking."

The more time that goes by that I'm sober, however, I'm greatful for that...I'd rather not drink at all!