Notices

how dangerous actually is anta-abuse?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how dangerous actually is anta-abuse?

my friend wants to start on it but his doctor said he needs to be assesed first by some team who deal in alcohol counselling and recovery programmes,he said if he gave my friend the drug and he drank on it,he would be liable(the doctor).How dangerous is anta-abuse?I ask as I am on it myself
Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It can be very dangerous to drink on, you might end up in the hospital or dead.

On the other hand, I have taken it for six months and it has been a very useful tool in my recovery toolbox. I don't have strong cravings and it helps me with my limited impulse control.

Medication isn't recovery, it's merely one of many tools to be considered. Perhaps your friend could visit a Dr. that deals with addiction. I think medication can be a help but it doesn't create recovery or sobriety.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you Google for Antabuse
you will see the facts.

You will become violently ill if you
mix alcohol with Antabuse.

It does not help with cravings.

There is also an afterlife ..so one must
not drink for X days after you quit.

You need blood work done regularly by a doctor
while you are using Anatbuse to make sure
your liver is staying healthy.

Not everyone can take Antabuse your friend
will need the assessment to be safe.

Best of luck to the 2 of you..
Old 09-27-2008, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just know it has helped some people - gives them more time to think before they take that first drink. However, some here have reported drinking while on Antabuse anyways. I remember one man talking about how his cheeks would flush a dark red and he would vommit. It's not a cure all but to be used in conjunction with a recovery plan or program. I wish your freind the best of luck on their recent decision to do something about their alcoholism. Some of us have had many trial and errors trying to find what works for us in order to quit and stay quit. It really is a journey.........
Old 09-27-2008, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

does anyone know how long the general time frame is that they give it to u for is ? my neighbor is going on the shot for it , tho im not for it i think it allows you to not face the reasons of addiction , but she said they would give it to her for as long as she needed it , were talkin yrs ever.which i know isnt a good thing . anyways anyone know?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endzoner View Post
does anyone know how long the general time frame is that they give it to u for is ? my neighbor is going on the shot for it , tho im not for it i think it allows you to not face the reasons of addiction , but she said they would give it to her for as long as she needed it , were talkin yrs ever.which i know isnt a good thing . anyways anyone know?
my doctor only told me that it varies from individual to individual.I read someone on this forum only took it for 8 weeks.It depends I guess.Why do you think it doesnt allow the person to face their addiction?It doesnt take away the cravings and the emotional battle and urges are still there.I find anta-abuse useful as actually it is helping me to learn to deal with emotional upset without turning to alcohol in times of stress as I normally would do.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

When my husband drank and was still on it, it told me how strong the addiction really was. He was willing to have a seizure for alcohol.
He was on it for a few weeks before he drank with it and then stopped the antabuse all together. His drinking continues. I think it's a very good detourant for a lot of people. It just wasn't for my ah.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are better ways. My experience was that it bought me a little sober time, during which I was relieved to "not be able" to drink, but I did not progress at all in recovery while I was on it. My recovery means more now because I am doing the work.
And yes, it is extremely dangerous, and yes, it can stay in your system up to two weeks after you stop taking it, which means you will still have a violent reaction.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

One very important thing that many people who use antabuse or any of the other drugs to help one stay away from alcohol forget to do is to read the label throughly.

Every one of them say that they should only be taken if one is in some sort of therapy or recovery program. None of the pills put any claim to doing anything but to be an aide to a recovery program of some sort.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

I agree it does give you time to be sober , never a question on that .and allows u to face the reasons you were drinkin , ie stress, relatinships jobs etc . but them problems will still arise after your done with the med. theres people who work the program and relapsed , even tho they learned the tools same as on the meds getting the tools , I know it does work never said it dont, im just asking on the long term they told her they would administer it up to 10 yrs if needed
Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

all I can add is its working for me,11 weeks sober and no,I am not in any recovery programme.I plan to stay on it a few more months perhaps
Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

soupdragon1973......
We all make our own choices and I am pleased
your doing well with yours.
Congratulations on your sober time!

Best of luck...