Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Please help...I'm still lost in addiction but want to quit

Notices

Please help...I'm still lost in addiction but want to quit

Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Please help...I'm still lost in addiction but want to quit

I'm lower than low. I drink every night and feel shortness of breath most of the day afterward...my heart pounds during the day at work and I get winded very easily. it is so scary. PLEASE...I need to know if anyone else was overpowered by anxiety. I feel like I'm dying. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Do you want to stop drinking?

I don't know how much you drink, but you need to see your Dr. right away. It sounds like an inpatient, medical detox would be a good idea right now. You should have a Dr. check you out thoroughly to rule out any other medical issues.

We're here for you . . . there's a tremendous amt. of support on here from all over the world. We have one goal and that is to help one another to beat this disease.

My Prayers will be with you,
Judy
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The things that we hate to do the most,are the things that will make us feel the best,once they are done.

Do you smoke? I quit drinking and smoking on the same day! When I was really going crazy I never knew if it was the cigs or the booze that were harder to quit. Still don't

keep fight'n
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lady....you really need to have an honest talk with your
doctor about your addictions.

It's time to become healthy .

Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

edmartin...
Welcome to our recovery community

Congratulations on your new life!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, Edmartin
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by LadyInRed View Post
I'm lower than low. I drink every night and feel shortness of breath most of the day afterward...my heart pounds during the day at work and I get winded very easily. it is so scary. PLEASE...I need to know if anyone else was overpowered by anxiety. I feel like I'm dying. Thanks.
Sounds like you maybe having panic attacks.
I discoverd smoking pot 24/7 as well as drinking fixed this...(joke) for a little while anyway.

But I did get panic attacks. The anxiety was rather overwhelming.
I slept with a hockey stick next to my bed.
And people talking to me, as they and I went about there normal business, made me jump. Trying to have a conversation with me sober was virtually impossible as I could never look anyone in the eye. My idea of sober is defined by after I had been smoking pot but was yet to get on the drink for the day...

As others have suggested, it would be wise for you to seek medical attention.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does sound like anxiety but we're all just ordinary folk here whistling in the dark - anything like that it's best to get checked out, Lady.

Not getting it checked out only increases the anxiety....

D
Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lady, sorry that you're going through all the horrible stuff. Again, I relate! I have to tell you, when I got sober the first time I was going through all of that. The people in the meetings listened to me go on about my anxiety, sleepless nights, nightmares, etc., and they told me "when you quit drinking you'll feel better, give it a week or a bit more..........." They were right. That alcohol is nasty stuff. You think you're drinking to unwind and then you get those crappy feelings when the alcohol wears off. It wasn't always like that for me but in the end, alcohol hurt me way more than it helped. I don't want to feel like that any more.

I encourage you like the others to talk to your doctor, counselor, hit a meeting and I'm sure you'll find answers that will help you. Good luck!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR LadyinRed and Emartin!!! This is the beginning of a New Life! If I can help please meail me.

Ron
Old 08-29-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! From what you described, it was very similiar to myself and it wasn't panic attacks for me. I would be short of breath the next day, strictly from the sheer quantity from the night before. Also, my heart would pound and do weird flutterings the next day. Winded? Heck, I could barely get through the day without a nap! However, the only anxiety I had was with the knowledge that there was no way I should be doing this and no way that I should continue.

But most importantly, talk to your doctor!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

lady I highly encourage you to see a doctor and most importantly be totally honest about your drinking and all your issues. All of what you are desribiing I went through, medical detox and AA were the solution for me.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

It may or may not be due to anxiety...there are so many things it could be. The only way to find out is to see a doctor.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Going to a doctor and getting into detox sounds like a perfect solution but I know that when in the depths of addiction it is not that easy. Now 5+ months sober I wish i had followed everyones great sober advice and went to rehab but that would mean addmitting a problem!!
But please do go to a doctor. You don't even have to go to your own regular doc. Make an appointment with a complete stranger. I know i felt that i would let my doctor down if I told her the truth. Now that I am sober it is easy to look back at what I should have done and wish I had done.
keep coming back here and reading and posting.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

see a Dr,we all can`t be wrong
Old 08-29-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyInRed View Post
I felt exactly like that. Talk to your doctor. A new life is waiting for you, are you ready and willing to claim it?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LadyInRed,

Drinking and dealing with the aftermath caused me huge anxiety. I already had issues with anxiety and drinking made everything so much worse. My life was truly out of control. I still have to deal with the anxiety, but I know that I can. You can do this too.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, and thanks so very much for caring. I'm not drinking tonight, and I've always heard that taking things one day at a time works best; sometimes one minute at a time when the cravings are really bad. Unfortunately I lost a job a few months ago and my health insurance went with it. I've had horrible anxiety and panic attacks for a couple of months now - worrying about bills and looking for another job-and finally found a really good one. I tried to hide my panic from the person training me at work but it was very difficult. Despite everything, I'm doing really well in the new job. Sorry to go on and on, but there's really no one I can talk to about the drinking problem. My boyfriend doesn't even know I was drinking a half pint of liquor (sometimes more) with the "couple of beers" each night to unwind. All the secrecy is eating at me, too. I feel blessed by God to have found this awesome place with such supportive and loving people. I am going to be okay tonight, even if I have to just keep talking. Thanks again. :ghug
Old 08-30-2008, 11:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm now 2 days into my new sober life and am feeling kinda shaky but better. I'm not feeling as short of breath or panicky as before, but wanted to drink when someone reacted negatively to an uninintentional minor mistake I made. I was obsessed with drinking, but didn't. Thanks for listening. I only have today, and will try my best.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lady, High five onmaking it through days 2. Keep it up, you can do it.