Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Please help...I'm still lost in addiction but want to quit

Notices

Please help...I'm still lost in addiction but want to quit

Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How about checking out a local AA meeting today?

It's there for anyone with a desire to quit drinking.
...That's you, yes?

Glad you are feeling better..
Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to the wonderful people on this board who accept newcomers with loving arms no matter what. I'm feeling so tempted tonight, but have not took a drink, even though a party friend (neighbor) suggested one earlier today. She drinks all the time and can't function without it. I've found that even my favorite movies can be a trigger, and I'm looking into AA meetings in my area...but it's so scary. Will the people judge me as the loser I am?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

AA is where I feel the most comfortable. I've never felt judged, just a lot of support.

As soon as you can get your health insurance up and running I would recommend a physical just to check everything out. After I got clean I got my liver and kidneys checked out. Luckily I had no damage or being clean for a few months had cleared up any temporary damages.

It is nice to see you here. Keep coming back. The people here have been so wonderful and continue to be my support.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Why would AA members judge you? They are there for the same reasons as you are .. to get help with their drinking.

You aren't a loser. You are addicted to alcohol - alcoholism is a disease. You are sick, not a loser.

AA changed my life. No, it GAVE me a life. Sounds trite, but it's true.

Keep us posted on your progress - we are here for you.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

LadyinRed..Im right there with you.

Please PM me if you want.
Seriously.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome and I agree the best thing is to seek medical advice. You are far from a loser, you are someone who has the courage to become healthy, and make yourself better, and I admire you for that. Peace to you.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I can relate to your experience. I felt the same way after a heavy night of drinking. I suffered from severe anxiety. Alcohol was the major contributing factor and fueled it. I lived in fear. Now that I have quit drinking, I no longer live in fear. I would suggest when your insurance kicks in talk with your Dr. Meanwhile, start a program of recovery right away. It isn't easy to stop without learning some tools. All I knew was to drink. I was clueless on how to not drink. You can get through this and life is better without being dependent on alcohol. You can free yourself from the chains of alcoholism. Good luck!!!