Notices

Not flaming here at all:

Old 04-30-2008, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not flaming here at all:

But I saw how another poster was blasted bc of a book he asked about that siad something about a "cure" in the title. It just reminded me of something I had seen a long time ago when googleing "how to stop drinking".

You really need to watch the videos to understand his approach. Supposedly he was and alcoholic at one time........and claims he is cured too. Like I said, I havent tried this doc, dont know what it is all about, and I am not flaming or trying to stir the pot. I was simply curious to know how the rest of you feel about these types of things. I am in the same boat as most other here.

Last edited by CarolD; 04-30-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Editted to add link..........i am retarded......
Old 04-30-2008, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

"Am I a good candidate to return to moderate drinking?"
From what I see (will hold off on many of my thoughts but one)

The above quoted question from his site is the kind of question that can kill some of us.
I know I can drink again... I don't know if I could return to a sober life again if I do drink.
For someone to tell me a return to moderation style drinking (if I accept their opinion) they could be helping me sign my death warant.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How many people in this world are in an AA program compared to that program?
How many people are sucessful if they work the 12 Steps etc.?

Numbers speak for itself....stick with what works and has been proven over and over again
Old 04-30-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well I read over the sight, I find his views on 12 step programs to be....... well let me put it in as polite a term as I can....... self serving!!!!

He trashes 12 step programs to try to get folks to give him their money!

Now that being said, removing his open bias and out right deceptive statements of 12 steps programs for his own financial aid he does promote things that are crucial to recovery which are also the integral part of all 12 step programs and that is CHANGE!!!!

More then likely what he is offering are excellent alternatives to 12 step programs that will work for people who will work the program.

I do personally find it disturbing that some folks in order to make a buck selling thier alternative treatments/program find a need to trash other programs.

Recovery is about supporting others and thier method of recovery no matter what thier method is.

Do we see 12 step programs trashing other programs?

Yes we do see "Individuals" who have found recovery using a 12 step program trashing other programs, but that is an individual and not part of the program.

12 step programs use attraction rather then promotion reason being is they are not out to become millionares helping others recover.

If you take away the blatant misrepresentation of 12 step programs by him it sounds like he has some excellent treatments/programs.

I personally found recovery in the rooms of AA and found the method of changing myself in the 12 steps for the mere cost of a dollar a meeting if I can spare it and I get the blessing and joy of helping other alcoholics to get and stay sober.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

The fee for the "Bridging Session" is $325. If I'm lucky, I can get a 15-minute spot in the three pro bono hours the doc donates each week, but according to the chart, I can only ask one or two questions, as time permits. I can get maintenance half hours for $200 (or 45 minutes for $250). Even my loved ones can learn how to change my behavior for a small fee ($200/30 min).

I had a little difficulty finding the above prices. Mostly, there were just buttons that wanted to take me to my PayPal account. I'm sure that if I looked harder, I could find a place to find the snake oil supplements.

Yes, I'm being a smartass. I'll try to be serious from here on out.

I sit on a committee at a university that exists primarily to educate college students on the use of drugs and alcohol. The committee is comprised of members of the real world (myself included) who understand that "Just Say No" doesn't work. I'm not suggesting that this guy's approach is like that. I am suggesting that, from what I can see, he's targeting an audience that has the ability to say no - without, if the client chooses, any outside support at all. That's fine for someone who's fallen into a habit of drinking, but for an alcoholic? I took issue with his comparison between drinking and brushing one's teeth.

I brought up my committee for another reason. I'm the only alcoholic member of it, and I'm there primarily to stand up for the 10% who can't say no, can't moderate with success, can't practice "harm reduction." I'm there to make sure that, in any model of education and awareness they produce, there is information by which the alcoholic student can see and recognize her or himself.

Although the website linked above seems to offer many options, it assumes that the alcoholic is "in control." If that were the case, if I had any measure of control in my drinking, I would have, in my exhaustive research, found a way to do stop without help. I have a very large section of my library set aside to memorialize my prior attempts, so I scoff at the idea that this guy is going to fix me, a real alcoholic, over the telephone.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sugah you need to see how his program works, you spend all your money on his program, you have no money left to buy booze!!!

It is a win win situation!!!

You get sober and broke.

He gets rich.

You spent a lot more time looking at that site then I did Sugah, I had no idea it was a chat line pay as you go treatment.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This thread looks like another firestorm in the making!

A little common sense here. First, who among us would not pay multiple thousands to just be rid of this whole monkey. After all, we were more than happy to spend it on our DOC. If it were that good, he would not be charging $ 325, the cost would be 20k or more, and he would be catering to people with more money than most of us will ever see.

Taz & Sugah already covered it very well, so I won't repeat their comments, other than to reiterate that there are probably as many different forms of this condition/disease/afliction...whatever, as there are people with it. But we can sort them into general catagories, and I'm dont doubt what he offers may fit SOME of those people. Probably those people could reach the same place with a few self-help books.

On the other hand, it looks very profit motivated, and where profit is involved, you cannot fully trust the one who is making said profit. I wonder if a random sample of 100 people from this board signed up, how many would be told, "no, keep your money, this programe is not for you."

I do not think AA is for me at this point in my life, but I dont discount that it may be at another day. If someone came to me for advice, I would tell them to give it a go since they probably have a better record than any "for profit" rehab out there. The things he said about AA, well I have heard enough about AA here at SR to know that they are exceptions, not the rules.

"I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote
I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette"

"I take my chances" Mary Chapin Carpenter
Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

"I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote
I found a preacher who spoke of the light but there was brimstone in his throat
He'd show me the way according to him in return for my personal check
I flipped my channel back to CNN and I lit another cigarette"

"I take my chances" Mary Chapin Carpenter
That is an awesome song!!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

hmm...

would i try it? no. i'd spend my 325 paying down my financial amends.

would i recommend it? no. i can't get down with someone who thinks if i meet with him for a few hours, i can stay sober the rest of my life HAPPILY.

would i condemn it? no. there are many paths to sobriety, and it might work for someone else. who am i to say it's complete b.s.?
Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First, who among us would not pay multiple thousands to just be rid of this whole monkey.
Actually I wouldn't! I'm proud to be an alcoholic, an alcoholic in recovery. My alcoholism turned out to be the greatest gift that God ever gave to me because I found a way to live life on life's terms and be reasonably happy.

I'm a people watcher, and it never ceases to amaze me when I drive to Wichita to do some shopping, and I see people everywhere with their faces all pinched up, in a hurry to get nowhere fast. Mothers in the aisles with kids out of control, and I feel sorry for all those people, I really do. I have been given the gift of sobriety, and the answers to all my problems today.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It is against SR Policy Rules and Regs
to post a link to a commercial site.

Therefore...the link was removed.

I suggest using PM to contact
WantsToNeedTo for the link.

This has nothing to do about
different approaches to alcoholism.

It is simply SR Policy.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"My alcoholism turned out to be the greatest gift that God ever gave to me because I found a way to live life on life's terms and be reasonably happy."

Wow Freedom I just want to say that is a really, really good point. And I love your dog pics.

Fallin
Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Emimily is right, we should not knock this, it may very well work for some, it it does that is great.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For AA'rs - refer the the foreward to the Second Edition

"Upon therapy for the alcoholic himself, we surely have no monopoly. Yet it is our great hope that all those who have as yet found no answer may begin to find one in the pages of this book and will presently join us on the high road to a new freedom."
Big Book On Line - Foreword to second edition

Also - no opinions on outside affairs right?

In my experience - true sobriety is freely given. I have paid for enough treatment centers that didn't keep me sober (and really just told me to go to AA anyhow) to know that the book and strong sponsorship can get any alcoholic sober.

My alcoholism - I don't know what I would do without it. What was once such a terrible state - has become an asset. I can relate to people who need help - and they can relate to me as someone who knows what they have been through.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm of the opinion that it's good to be well versed in other programs and their strengths and whatever ...

Last edited by barb dwyer; 05-01-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

People just need to stfu and do the 12 steps, or go get drunk.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
People just need to stfu and do the 12 steps, or go get drunk.
Way to be open minded there Bob!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Way to be open minded there Bob!
I had tried to find an easier, softer way, but found I could not. If you aren't an alcoholic... then go drink! If you are an alkie, learn to suck it up and do what you are supposed to.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am of the belief that if someone is interested in a cure for alcoholism they are looking for a way to start drinking again. Hopefully they will have it under control with this magic pill.
I personally see no reason to drink the 2-3 drinks a week that a "Normal" Drinker is supposed to.
It tosses the whole "Acceptance" thing out the window.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bob_sapp View Post
I had tried to find an easier, softer way, but found I could not. If you aren't an alcoholic... then go drink! If you are an alkie, learn to suck it up and do what you are supposed to.
While I am not defending the particular method mentioned originally here, I don't agree that AA is the ONLY way to recover if you are a REAL alcoholic.

Are you suggesting that people who can recover using other methods are not REAL alcoholics? Just because AA is the way YOU recovered doesn't mean it is the only way.