Notices

Not flaming here at all:

Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by stone View Post
While I am not defending the particular method mentioned originally here, I don't agree that AA is the ONLY way to recover if you are a REAL alcoholic.

Are you suggesting that people who can recover using other methods are not REAL alcoholics? Just because AA is the way YOU recovered doesn't mean it is the only way.
Well put Stone, there are many here who are living proof that AA is not the only way. What is the only way is the person putting one foot in front of the other and working whatever program they choose to utilize. AA happens to be the program that has worked for me. I know that if I had not found AA I would be dead. Would another program have worked for me? I don't know, I just know that I am sticking with the one that has worked for me. To all those who are recovering, no matter what program you use, keep up the good work and my best wishes to your success.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Is it the program or the desire to quit that gets us sober? I often have to wonder. I think if you are willing and really ready to quit, any program can work. It must be in the readiness, willingness, and the support that gets us sober. I failed at my first attempts at AA. I learned a lot from those failures. I learned that if I didn't quit, I may die. I couldn't stand the life I was living and the shame I was feeling. It was at that point I dug deeper and tried harder. I know for myself fear and desperation played a huge part in getting sober. Realizing the insanity of "this time it will be different" and overcome by the momentum of the progression, I found a newfound motivation. I didn't know if I would make it or not, but I stuck it out, gave it my best, even when I didn't want to, and guess what? It worked. No matter what program you choose, do yourself a favor and give it your honest and best effort. It is a win, win.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My grandpa used to say "it's good if you like it, and bad if you don't". My grandpa was a wise man. I use many things in staying sober. Some AA meetings, some support and experience from this site, prayer and lots of help from God, lots of stuff keeps me sober. I do whatever it takes.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by least View Post
My grandpa used to say "it's good if you like it, and bad if you don't". My grandpa was a wise man. I use many things in staying sober. Some AA meetings, some support and experience from this site, prayer and lots of help from God, lots of stuff keeps me sober. I do whatever it takes.
There were at least five hard-core alcoholics in the generation before me (mother, uncles):

One died an alcoholic death.
One passed away after decades sober using AA.
Another has decades sober using AA, native culture and is a spiritual leader.
One has decades sober - "failed" AA in his words, but became immersed in native culture and is a spiritual leader.
One has almost 20 years sober (my mom ) with Christianity, native culture and does incredible work with the homeless, abused women, & alcoholics.

I listen to my Elders.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This seems to be a good time to direct members
to the 3rd sticky post on this Forum.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

There are a wide variety of recovery methods.
And I am certain some real alcholics recover
without using any structered program.
I personally know a few...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
While I am not defending the particular method mentioned originally here, I don't agree that AA is the ONLY way to recover if you are a REAL alcoholic.

Are you suggesting that people who can recover using other methods are not REAL alcoholics? Just because AA is the way YOU recovered doesn't mean it is the only way.
Don't induce that I meant that. I will say that I don't believe it is medically possible to go from alcoholic to social drinker. I don't think any doctor would disagree with me here. If quitting drinking forever poses no problem then I would question if that person is an alcoholic or not. The people I know who aren't alcoholics anymore went back drinking. The 12 steps is an aside, how you get a spiritual awakening is up to you. I only speak from my limited experience and observations, my intent was not to offend anyone.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am glad to see this thread heading where it is going.

It is very important for any one here seeking a solution to thier drinking problem to be aware that there are other recovery programs besides AA.

Just because most of the people here who have been sober for a while have used AA does not mean it is the only way!

We have folks here with good long term sobriety that do not use AA.

The most important thing we all need to do here is to support one another no matter the method we are using to stay sober.

The last thing any of us should do is to trash another program that works for others.

We may kill someone if we trash SMART, trashing SMART may keep some one from trying it and it may turn out that is the very program that would have worked for them. The same applies to trashing WFS, AA, or any other program.

Part of recovery is supportiing others in recovery, when we trash a program we are not supporting anyone, we may be closing a door for some one that may result in them dying.