Notices

I'm excited and scared ******** - day one

Old 04-15-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, I made it - Day one is over and behind me! I feel fine too - had some nasty dreams last night but woke up clear headed and ready for the day. I was so worried how I would handle not having a drink last night but what I found is that I was actually relieved not to have to hide my drinking and sneak around and not fall asleep early because I was wasted and all in all it was just a good night. I never realized how exhausting it was protecting my habit. Day two is looking good!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I never realized how exhausting it was protecting my habit.
Bailey the truth sets us free, just not sneaking a drinking or trying to hide the fact that we have been drinking is a releif.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I feel a lot better not sneaking drinks... it always gave me a little sense of shame or embarrassment that I lived with as a side feeling. It's nice to have that gone.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A.M.D.G.

Originally Posted by baileygrrrl View Post
I never realized how exhausting it was protecting my habit.
Look at me. I have learned how to make quotes!

This statement struck me too. It isn't until now that I think of a rather shameful ruse I tried to keep up so I could sit around absolutely plasterd and look like I was still up to something useful.

This was a regular nightly exchange:

"Dietrich, what are you doing?"
"Huh? What?"
"What are you doing?"
"Oh, well, praying Vespers of course!" (I'd keep my Breviary open on my lap.)
"But it's 11:30 at night."
"Yes. Well. I was about to start Compline."

I'd like to say I was praying very slowly and attentively in order to spread about 35 minutes of mandatory daily prayer and meditation out over 4 hours.

But, I think we all know I wasn't. Now if my Breviary is open, it's because I'm actually using it.

Pax Christi,
Dietrich
Old 04-16-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've made it another day! I'm very proud of myself. Two whole days completely sober. And look, I'm still alive! My goal today is to be sober. And I'm going to make it.

I'm confident I can make it through the work week no problem. Now I'm just getting worried about the weekend. I'm trying to make plans to be busy but it's going to be hard because the weather is supposed to be really nice and we will likely BBQ outside and well, what's a BBQ without beer?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by baileygrrrl View Post
Thanks to everyone for their offers of support and good wishes. I don't know what I need right now really other than to be able to write out my feelings.

I am scared ******** to go to an AA meeting. I am a social phobic and the idea of walking into a meeting alone is enough to give me a panic attack. Is it ok to take someone like my husband?
Yes it is, to an "Open" meeting. Most meetings are "Open" meetings, and the closed ones are for people who have decided that they are indeed alcoholics
and often speak out more then at an open meeting.

Also you might want to go to a womans meeting only. You can find the local AA number in the phone book and they can tell you what meetings are where and what time and if they are Open, closed or women/mens meetings.

BTW, you don't have to say anything if you don't want to, even when the secretary of the meeting asks if there are any persons in their first 30 days of sobriety.

It isn't even expected for newcomers to help out by donating money in the basket, so all you have to do is show up and listen :-)

God bless and good luck in your recovery, baileygrrl.

Robert
Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

what's a BBQ without beer?
A heck of a lot of fun and good eating, the best part is staying sober you remember the fun and there is nothing to be embarassed about. I drank for 40 years and BBQs are better sober then they were when I was drinking, actually everything is and you will be amazed at how many people do not drink.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

am scared ******** to go to an AA meeting. I am a social phobic and the idea of walking into a meeting alone is enough to give me a panic attack.
You'll fit right in then !

Most of us felt that way at first. I know I did, I've NEVER been one that's comfortable in a group. Not until AA at least.